Nextbox 4K not working on 2016 Samsung KS Series TVs

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Nextbox 4K not working on 2016 Samsung KS Series TVs

I just installed a Samsung 65 inch 4k TV (UN65MU9000), connected it to a rogers 4k box using a Belkin 4k HDMI cable ....and voila ....the TV doesn't recognize the box...i separately tested the box and cable so they are good...replaced 4k box with regular cable box....it works. How do I fix this incompatibility? Is using a splitter the only solution or does Rogers have a firmware update? the firmware on my TV is upto date.

Thx in advance for your help.

I Plan to Stick Around

Call Samsung and tell them. They ended up replacing the one connect box that fixed the problem.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@4kTv wrote:

I just installed a Samsung 65 inch 4k TV (UN65MU9000), connected it to a rogers 4k box using a Belkin 4k HDMI cable ....and voila ....the TV doesn't recognize the box...i separately tested the box and cable so they are good...replaced 4k box with regular cable box....it works. How do I fix this incompatibility? Is using a splitter the only solution or does Rogers have a firmware update? the firmware on my TV is upto date.

Thx in advance for your help.

@4kTv

Do what @goedhard said, call up Samsung and have them change the One Connect Box, certain serial numbers aren't compatible with the 4K Nextbox.

I Plan to Stick Around

I just realised that 4kTv said MU model. I almost went for that model instead of the KS model
I Plan to Stick Around

4K PVR Black screen requiring reboot

I'm having an issue with a 4K PVR and a black screen.  The screen goes black (and no audio) after I turn the system off and back on.  Picture is fine as long as the TV and AVR are left on.   Turning the PVR on and off doesn't trigger the issue.  Only if the AVR and TV are turned off and back on.  It appears to be an HDCP issue in my opinion.   Perhaps a firmware bug?

My setup is the following:  4K PVR plugged into a Anthem MRX-520 AVR which is then plugged into a Samsung 65" Q7 TV.  All devices are using the latest firmware.  All devices are HDCP 2.2 compatible.  I also have a Apple TV 4K connected to the receiver and set to 4K HDR 60hz output.  No issues with the Apple TV at all and didn't have any issues until I upgraded to the 4K PVR (Nextbox 3.0 worked fine).   I'll get picture and it will work fine.  I turn the system off then back on, the I get a black screen (no picture an no "no signal" message as I would get if the box was off).  Rebooting the box will get it to come back.  But only until the next power cycle.  I have tried the following:

• Connected the PVR directly to the TV - same issue.  Requires rebooting the Nextbox to get the picture to come back if the TV is turned off then back on.
  • Tried rebooting the TV while PVR was showing a black output.  By reboot I mean disconnecting and reconnecting power to the TV.  No fix
  • Tried a different HDMI cable (the Apple TV's which works)
  • Tried a different input on the Anthem
  • Tried connecting the nextbox directly to the TV.
  • Tried reverting back to 1080P on the PVR
  • Tried turning off HDR on Apple TV
  • Tried turning on CEC on both TV and AVR
  • Replacing the PVR - second unit is doing the same
  • Tried banging my head against the wall and swearing

Neither of the above worked.  Any suggestions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ghard1

1. How old is this TV?  Does it utilize the "one connect" box?  Have you called Samsung to upgrade the "one connect" box as discussed earlier in this thread?  (Go back a few pages and read about those problems with the one connect box.

2. What happens when you connect the PVR directly to the TV, but (with both devices turned off) turn the TV on first, wait a few seconds, then turn the PVR on?  The order that you turn things on can often affect whether the handshake works properly.

3. If item 2 works, then try a similar order when going through the AVR. Say turn on AVR, then TV, then PVR.  Or TV, then AVR, then PVR, always leaving a couple of seconds between.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @57 

1. The TV is about 2 months old and a current model.  Yes, it uses a one connect, but not the same One Connect as the KS series mentioned in this post.  The One Connect on the new Q series is active (requires a power connection) because of the optical cable that runs between the One Connect and the TV.  I haven't yet called Samsung because I've installed over 30 of these (I am an integrator) for clients and haven't had a single issue with any 4K source before.  Wouldn't Samsung have remedied this if it was an issue with the one connect on previous years models?  Why does this only appear to be with this particular piece of hardware?
  2. I have tried every possible power sequence as I have found this to work with HDCP handshake issues in the past.  No luck here.
  3. Same as above

Thank you for your help.

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know about the Q series but the MU series which is a 2017 TV had the same One connect (newer serial number) and the 2016 KS (older serial number). Samsung replaced my One connect box with a even newer One box then the MU tvs and the MU was posted with this problem so yes it is very possible Samsung has not corrected the problem yet or never will

You should call up Samsung Canada
Coming on PPV!
Real Madrid vs. Atlético (Athletic) Bilbao Live
LIVE: Saturday April 21, 2019 10AM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499 | 391 (beIN English) 392 (beIN Spanish)
Price: $5.99 (HD) | $5.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $5.99 | (beIN subscription $14.99/mo.)
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Real Madrid faces Athletic Bilbao in a regular la liga league soccer match. Subscribe to beIN Sports for $14.99/mo. to get the game and more La Liga and international Sporting events.

Crawford vs. Khan Live
LIVE: Saturday April 20, 2019 9PM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $79.99 (HD) | $74.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $79.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Undefeated virtuoso Terence "Bud" Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) will defend his welterweight world title against British boxing royalty Amir "King" Khan (33-4, 20 KOs) in a collision of superstars.

Topic Stats