Nextbox 4K not working on 2016 Samsung KS Series TVs

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 4K not working on 2016 Samsung KS Series TVs

I may have stumbled on a HUGE issue that Rogers will be having as more of the Samsung KS Series TVs are bought. I called yesterday for Rogers to install my 4K Nextbox on my new Samsung KS9500 TV. They brought 2 boxes and both when plugged in will turn on with no sound and when trying to change setting to UltraHD go to a black screen then come back and so that the TV is not recognizing the box. However that's not true as when the setting reverts back to 1080p it shows the picture but no sound. It only doesn't recognize the box when it's trying to be switched to UltraHD in the settings which of course all of you know is the whole reason for the 4K box. The reason I know it's the box is I have an UltraHD Android box as well that plays in 4K. I plugged Android box in and it reads and plays 4K no problem. So I take that exact cable and plug it in the Nextbox and still the same thing, it doesn't recognize it. Now I have another 4K TV which is the 2015 Samsung JS9500 and I figure if I move the box out to that TV it will do the same thing as it's a box issue, but when I moved it out to that TV everything works fine. So I figured let me change the setting to UltraHD on the 2015 Samsung JS9500 that works and just unplug the box and move it back to the 2016 Samsung KS9500. Once I do that and move it back to the Samsung KS9500 it's just a black screen as the TV won't recognize the box as it's in UltraHD mode. If I didn't have 3 other UltraHD devices connected to the 2016 Samsung KS9500 I would of thought it was the TV however all other 4K devices connect with the HDMI cable. When I try to use the same HDMI cable that works for those devices it won't recognize the Nextbox. I have a senior tech coming tonight and I'll show him all that I wrote above, but the fact that the 4K nextbox seems incompatible at the moment with the new 2016 Samsung KS Series is going to be a HUGE problem once more people starting purchasing these TVs. My question is does anyone on here have a 2016 Samsung KS series TV? Or the problem limited to the Samsung KS9500 model alone? Or is the whole line of Samsung KS Series? 

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Nextbox 4K not working on 2016 Samsung KS Series TVs

Hello, @SnoopDoggLA

Thank you for sharing your findings with the Community. I'm amazed by the logical troubleshooting done to isolate the issue down to the 4K box and KS9500, great job! Smiley Happy

Please update the Community with the outcome of the senior tech's visit. Anybody in the Community using KS9500 model with a Nextbox 4K box?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is the firmware on the problem TV updated to the latest version?  If not, do so and check again if possible.

Over on Bell Fibe they have similar issues with 4K and some Sony TVs (apparently it's the firmware on the Bell boxes) , so it sounds like incompatible firmware that should be correctable.   Not sure if it's the Rogers firmware or the Samsung firmware in this case.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey Everyone

I can confirm this is a issue on a firmware with Samsung and Rogers 4K boxes. I have been advised by both our Rogers rep and Samsung head office manager that this is indeed a issue which should be resolved soon.
I'll let you know when I get more information on this.
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm having the same problem with my KS9000. No sound.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the responses guys. Firmware is up to date as that was one of the things I made sure to check when I realized it could be a compatibility issue. Hopefully this software update gets fixed sooner rather than later because the 4K box is useless right now without sound and no 4K. Meowmix any update when you get it will be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @SnoopDoggLA

Will do! I let some of my customers know this issue as well so they know!
I'm an Advisor

Just wondering if anyone with a Samsung connected to an AVR gets the same issue, or does it only happen when connected directly to the TV?

I Plan to Stick Around

Just an update on this situation. Had a Rogers tech here for 2 hours yesterday. He tried everything and ultimately couldn't resolve the situation. He concluded that he Samsung was not communicating with the Rogers 4K box. We tried an older HDbox and although we got sound and picture it still would not find the box in the settings. This led him to believe that it was a Samsung problem with their software.  Anyway I will try to contact Samsung on Monday to further investigate the problem. PS had the Jays game on yesterday and they have a big ad right behind home plate of the exact tv I have. Just saying....

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Zwicks1

I will contact our Samsung rep and see what he can tell me. I haven't gotten a hold of him due to him schedule and mine. I was thinking of selling my 65inch 4k OLED and getting the new 65KS9500 but i stepped back due to this and also due to the limits of units we have.

Hopefully this does get fixed. Funny enough the device shown in the commercial, is a identical tv as urs.