Nextbox 4K PVR won't turn ON after being OFF for a while

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nh302
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Nextbox 4K PVR won't turn ON after being OFF for a while

Firstly, please read post 1. The problem, symptoms and issuest are described thoroughly.

Root cause: faulty hdd
Resolution: replace hdd

I had the exact problem which started this post/thread. Have two 4K PVR boxes, so opened both of them up. Removed the hard drives and connected them to my laptop via external enclosure. Deleted all the partitions (5 I believe) which also cleared the data. If you just swap or install a previous drive from a different PVR it will not record or function properly. Step not required if the drive is new.

Continuing, I swapped the hard drives and put each PVR back in the original locations. They both booted, then HDFF showed on the display indicating hard drive prep and formatting. Then the boot/load process continued until the time showed up. The problem followed the hard drive from the box that was originally faulty to the second box. The original box with the replacement hdd is now working and responding with no freezing or rebooting.

Purchased a new 1TB hdd, and the PVRs are both functioning normally. I didn’t bother swapping the hdd back to the second box. Installed the new hdd in the second PVR for convenience and validation of resolution.

If your box is acting up, and it’s been in place for a while with no difficulties, the hdd is a good place to start as it’s the only moving mechanical part. And when you open it up you will see if anything is burnt, broken or bulging on the circuit board. All was good when I opened up both boxes

In fact the internal hdd has been the culprit when problems have arisen since I owned SA8300HD PVR boxes from many many years ago and every generation since. This is my first 4K pvr to have a fault.

Hopes this helps you if reading this thread.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nh302 : I'm glad you were able to solve your problem, however, when there is a failure of an internal HDD, the PVR will often still boot and function as a tuner box, but not be able to view existing recordings, or pause live TV or start new recordings...

nh302
I've Been Here Awhile

Not necessarily. I can’t confirm for certain with this 4K box, but in previous generations if you opened up the box and disconnected the hdd from the motherboard, it would work fine as a tuner only with no glitches or odd behaviour.

Lastly, I called Rogers one last time on Thursday. Got an experienced tech on the line, which was a pleasant surprise, and only had to say two sentences before he said the hdd was at fault. Common problem with this 4K pvr box after 3 to 5 years with Toshiba HDD, and would cause it to act quirky with all the symptoms described plus more depending on how badly the HDD was failing.

Made the call to Rogers because they advised to call when the box was frozen so they could look at the diagnostics.

With the number of partitions created, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 4K pvr box was using very small partitions to store some boot data, guide data etc. And a tiny partition to catalog recordings and the large partition for the recordings themselves. This box is made by technicolor, and not Cisco like previous models.

Problem is resolved and I am going to bow out of this this thread. I did hands on troubleshooting to back up my progress and comments till final resolution.

Hwaiting
I Plan to Stick Around

@nh302 - Do you mind sharing which drive you purchased (make and model)?  I'm the OP and the problem for me at least hasn't reappeared since deleting all my recordings and not filling it up to capacity like before.  It would be good to know what drives are compatible for future reference in case the time comes where I need to replace it.  Thanks.

Postvrate
I've Been Here Awhile

I am needing to replace my HDD in my 4K PVR. Can you tell me what HDD you used in your replacement, or even the specification it needs to be for comparability. You help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you don't get a response from @nh302 , the WD "Purple" drives are usually recommended for this sort of service.  Here's a thread on Digital home regarding the HD 9865 box which might come in handy, even though it's not the exact same box.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/upgrade-or-replace-the-ihdd-on-9865-nextbox-3-0.211002/

Postvrate
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the info. Have you taken off the bottom panel ? I have the 6 torch screws on the bottom, and the 2 on the sides removed. I looked at the post for the other model, but this one is different. I just need a hint as to where the tabs are, and how to dislodge them. Thanks
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I haven't done this myself. There are a couple of links in post 1 of that thread that go into great detail on how to do this on the 9865.  I'm assuming those instructions don't help with the 4K?  Not very many people have had to do this on the 4K box, hence the lack of knowledge on the topic.  Let's hope someone gets back to you if those links don't help.