Nextbox 4K PVR won't turn ON after being OFF for a while

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 4K PVR won't turn ON after being OFF for a while

Hello,

My Nextbox 4K (CAV10455HD) started developing a peculiar problem yesterday.  It wouldn't turn ON after being off for a while (few hours?  Definitely overnight).  Unplugging the box and plugging it back in will solve the problem temporarily.  The reboot process appears to run smoothly and doesn't get stuck on any codes.  Once it's rebooted, if I turn the box off and shortly afterwards turn it back on, it works as usual.

However, if it remains off for a while, it goes back into this deep sleep state where it won't turn back ON either by the remote or the front power button (which remains red).  While it's in this deep sleep state, I can hear the hard drive running during a recording time and the front recording light is on.  However, the box just won't turn ON.  The only solution is to unplug it again.

I went into the diagnostic screen and the signal strength looked good.  I was in the 0 range for signal and 38 for the SNR.

I thought I'd pose the question here to see if there's any solutions before trying a factory reset since I have a lot of recordings.

Thanks.

*** Edited Labels ***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 4K PVR won't turn ON after being OFF for a while

Here are a couple things to try:

1. Try a different electrical outlet to plug it in. Make sure you're not connected to a power bar or anything similar for this test.

2. You may have what we call a "runaway recording".  Look for a recording that is taking, or has taken, a lot of time - recording for hours.  Delete that recording or any other recent recording that doesn't look quite right.  You may need to do another reboot after deleting.  You should be able to do that via Settings - scroll up one to Troubleshooting and do a reboot, not factory reset.  Check on the amount of space used on the hard drive to see if it looks strange.  Also, make sure you haven't gone beyond 80% full.  Most PVRs can have problems if you do that or have too many recordings.  It's usually recommended to keep the hard drive less than 50% full for optimum performance. This is a time-shifting device, not an archiving device.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks 57. I checked and didn't see any runaway recordings but some of my old recordings dating back to 2019 were labelled as "New" which I found odd. I cleared a bunch of old recordings too so hopefully that will help and I'll continue to see how it goes.
I'm Here A Lot

Any solution to this issue? I'm having the exact same problem with my box. A reboot and it works fine until the next morning when it won't turn on again.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DrZEUS :

1. Is the time (or channel, or anything) showing on the front of the PVR when it won't turn on?

2. Have you tried the switch on the front of the unit rather than the remote?  Are the remote's batteries good?

3. Have you checked the signal?  Most issues are caused by a poor signal. See the following post on the topic. You can also contact Rogers and have them check the signal remotely:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

4. Do you have it plugged directly into the wall without any surge bar, etc?  Try a different circuit in the home - may require an extension cord.  Make sure it's a different circuit, not just a different outlet - need to turn off circuit breaker to check...

5. Do you do the reboot by unplugging, or via the user menu?