Nextbox 4K PVR won't turn ON after being OFF for a while

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hwaiting
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 4K PVR won't turn ON after being OFF for a while

Hello,

My Nextbox 4K (CAV10455HD) started developing a peculiar problem yesterday.  It wouldn't turn ON after being off for a while (few hours?  Definitely overnight).  Unplugging the box and plugging it back in will solve the problem temporarily.  The reboot process appears to run smoothly and doesn't get stuck on any codes.  Once it's rebooted, if I turn the box off and shortly afterwards turn it back on, it works as usual.

However, if it remains off for a while, it goes back into this deep sleep state where it won't turn back ON either by the remote or the front power button (which remains red).  While it's in this deep sleep state, I can hear the hard drive running during a recording time and the front recording light is on.  However, the box just won't turn ON.  The only solution is to unplug it again.

I went into the diagnostic screen and the signal strength looked good.  I was in the 0 range for signal and 38 for the SNR.

I thought I'd pose the question here to see if there's any solutions before trying a factory reset since I have a lot of recordings.

Thanks.

*** Edited Labels ***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 4K PVR won't turn ON after being OFF for a while

Here are a couple things to try:

1. Try a different electrical outlet to plug it in. Make sure you're not connected to a power bar or anything similar for this test.

2. You may have what we call a "runaway recording".  Look for a recording that is taking, or has taken, a lot of time - recording for hours.  Delete that recording or any other recent recording that doesn't look quite right.  You may need to do another reboot after deleting.  You should be able to do that via Settings - scroll up one to Troubleshooting and do a reboot, not factory reset.  Check on the amount of space used on the hard drive to see if it looks strange.  Also, make sure you haven't gone beyond 80% full.  Most PVRs can have problems if you do that or have too many recordings.  It's usually recommended to keep the hard drive less than 50% full for optimum performance. This is a time-shifting device, not an archiving device.

Hwaiting
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks 57. I checked and didn't see any runaway recordings but some of my old recordings dating back to 2019 were labelled as "New" which I found odd. I cleared a bunch of old recordings too so hopefully that will help and I'll continue to see how it goes.
DrZEUS
I'm Here A Lot

Any solution to this issue? I'm having the exact same problem with my box. A reboot and it works fine until the next morning when it won't turn on again.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DrZEUS :

1. Is the time (or channel, or anything) showing on the front of the PVR when it won't turn on?

2. Have you tried the switch on the front of the unit rather than the remote?  Are the remote's batteries good?

3. Have you checked the signal?  Most issues are caused by a poor signal. See the following post on the topic. You can also contact Rogers and have them check the signal remotely:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

4. Do you have it plugged directly into the wall without any surge bar, etc?  Try a different circuit in the home - may require an extension cord.  Make sure it's a different circuit, not just a different outlet - need to turn off circuit breaker to check...

5. Do you do the reboot by unplugging, or via the user menu?  

nh302
I've Been Here Awhile

Having the exact same problem. Have tried everything mentioned. Have deleted all recordings. Factory reset the box.

After the factory reset I did not it rebooting on its own a few times. Not sure if updates were being done.

Seemed to work for a couple of days, but this morning it wouldn’t power on. Box appears to be stuck or frozen, but the time is correct and recording seems to be happening along with disk chatter.

Anybody resolve or determine the issue?
RogersMoin

Hello, @nh302.

Thank you for joining this discussion and welcome to Rogers Community Forums!

I appreciate all the troubleshooting done so far. Based on the description, the issue could be related to the hard drive not functioning properly. 

If you have a different outlet where the STB is working fine, you can plugin your PVR there to see if the outcome is different. 

Please keep us posted. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A problem with the iHDD usually doesn't preclude the box functioning as a tuner box (without PVR functionality). I don't know why your box won't boot or freezes since you appear to have tried the items discussed in my previous post. The only thing I can suggest is to retry another reboot and then perhaps contact Rogers if that doesn't work.

Does the box actually power on via the power button on the front of the box. Perhaps you have an issue with your remote?

nh302
I've Been Here Awhile

To continue on the issue originally posted about and that I too am experiencing, it seems to be related to the PVR HDD becoming full over 97 percent for an extended period. My box was unused and unattended for awhile with recordings piling up and filling the drive.

Erased all the recordings in one go and believe at the same time started experiencing the issue. Did a factory reset, it worked briefly and same issues. Did another factory reset and same thing. The box seemed to be trying to do things like maintenance and was freezing up.

I did a third factory reset and the problem seems to have resolve itself. My speculation is filling the drive and then deleting everything at once triggered heavy activity which stressed the box in some way especially being a 1TB drive.

So far so good. Hold my breath every morning as I power on the box to test, but it has been working fine so far. Prior it would be locked up by the morning.

Perhaps a bad area on the drive that ended being marked as bad sectors. Or the heavy maintenance causing overheating or abnormal power draw.

That’s my experience on the issue to date. Try a few factory resets couple days apart. Rogers support said this box reformats the internal drive on factory reset. Not sure if true or maybe a quick format. Who knows. You can’t get to a technical individual or engineer who can intelligently diagnose and investigate. Trial and error unfortunately.

I did call to have the signal checked. Was told within spec but uncertain if they adjusted or boosted anything on their end. Or pushed something out to the box. My last factory reset and this call to Rogers was combined in my last attempt.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks for the feedback.  Although you may not have seen my previous posts, I've always recommended keeping the hard drive less than 50% full, and certainly no higher than 80% but only on occasion.

I've also recommended to delete only a few recordings at a time.  The CPU in these boxes is not very powerful and it can take a lot of time to do anything.  The alternative is to do a Factory Reset, but then you lose all your recordings, favourites, other settings, etc.