Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

Greetings community,

I have a Nextbox 3 connected to a 50” Panasonic Viera plasma ST50 tv via HDMI. I’ve had the box set to output at 1080p for a while. Recently, I noticed that while picture quality has improved dramatically over recent years and even months, motion “judder” has also increased for certain programming on certain channels. It’s obviously more noticeable during fast moving (quick camera panning) scenes. Sports, news, and reality tv shows are all perfectly smooth...no judder. I know for a fact it’s not the tv because this thing has zero problems with handling motion. This is definitely a Rogers issue with some content and/or the NB3 box itself. After some research, I found that some people had better luck with setting the box to output at 1080i (to match the resolution of what most content is broadcast at) and letting the tv upconvert. So I tried this but noticed two problems. 1. The judder issue with the same content remains. 2. The tv is not upconverting. I know this because when I set the NB3 to 1080i and I go into my tv’s display info, it says it’s being displayed at 1080i with 3:2 pull down enabled. I don’t really notice any difference at all between setting the box to 1080p vs setting it to 1080i. Have others experienced the same problems with motion judder and their tv not upconverting? Should I leave it at 1080i to match the resolution of the majority of what Rogers sends down the pipe?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:
...I know this because when I set the NB3 to 1080i and I go into my tv’s display info, it says it’s being displayed at 1080i with 3:2 pull down enabled. 

Your TV is telling you the input signal. It has no choice but to display any incoming signal at 1080P - the TV's "resolution". See the following FAQ on the topic.  There's also a link at the bottom of the FAQ regarding upconversion.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/73528-faq-native-display-resolution-vs-inp...

I have also noticed the "judder" on some programming, however, I believe it may be due to the camera used to take the original images.  Many nature and other programmes are now recorded using smaller cameras like "GoPro" and they cannot pan as quickly as a professional camera, causing the "judder" when the programme is first recorded. I don't believe this has anything to do with Rogers.  It could also be the broadcaster.  Mostly, if there is not enough bandwidth for a programme you may end up with macro-blocking, or a "smearing" of the picture, depending on the compression utilized by the broadcaster and provider.

I'm a Regular

Thanks 57. So would you recommend I leave the NB3 at 1080i? Another difference I noticed is that when the box is set to 1080p, the frame rate is 60hz, but when it’s set to 1080i, it locks in at 59.94hz which is what most content on NTSC is delivered at.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have mine set at 1080P now since I notice no difference between the 1080i and 1080p setting.  I'm guessing that the upconversion done by the NB3 is now as good as on the TV.  Deinterlacing from 1080i to 1080P is a fairly straight-forward process.

A few years back, it made sense with most of the older boxes (with SD guides like the SA8300HD) to use "passthrough" and allow the TV to do the upconversion.  However, now with HD guides and the fact that the output of the box is set at one resolution, I've been using 1080P.

Each person should experiment with their equipment to see what works best for them, per my FAQs.

I'm a Regular

Cool, thanks again!