Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

@Meowmix : I believe we are in agreement. The iHDD on the CAV10455 is 1TB. It is also 1 TB on the 9865.  The 120 hours shown on the hardware page for the 9865 is incorrect (link below).  It can record as much HD as the 10455.

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/hardware

Here's the arithmetic:

Typical HD channel - 15 Mbps (can vary from roughly 12-18)

8 bits/byte

3600 seconds per hour.

60% improvement due to media shrink compression:

15 mbps / 8 * 3600 = 6.75 MB/hr = 148 hours on a 1TB HDD with no compression, which provides for 237 hours of recording with a 1.6 compression ratio as I mentioned earlier for media shrink.  Close enough to 240 hours for my tastes (ignoring the 1024 factor and other minor errors due to estimates and rounding)

Before someone gets too critical of the numbers above, they are rough numbers because:

- The HD channel bitrate can vary from say 12-18 mbps

- The amount of compression can vary depending on the amount of action in the programme. For example a talking head news programme can be compressed much more by Media Shrink than an active action movie or sports programme. 

- The iHDD actually has about 931 GB available for recording, even though it's a 1TB iHDD.

That is why the 240 hours is only a rough estimate.

If you go into the diagnostics you can see the information for Media Shrink and it doesn't occur on the initial recording - that's bit for bit of incoming information. Media Shrink occurs after the programme has been recorded when the PVR is not busy doing other things.  

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @57

Oh yeah i get that but for the ones claiming it has 2TB then I would like to see where they are seeing that unless the are thinking it does.

Thanks for the explaining it!:) ( I'm not to familiar with Cable boxes that much)
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 120 hours for the 9865 could also be "old" information when the box was first released, assuming an HD channel bitrate of 18 mbps and no media shrink gives you about 120 hours...

PS. I remember when I purchased my SA8300HD back in 2004 with 160 GB iHDD, I only had 20 hours of HD recording...

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks everyone for clarifying! 🙂
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

is it posible to get a Nextbox 3.0 still? or are they only handing out the Nextbox 4k pvr now?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @gp-se

They still offer the NextBox 3.0 PVR box. They offer this one with most of the package deals instead of the 4K one.

Walk into any Rogers store and ask to get one if u like or call in and ask.

They will carry this until the box no longer is capable of getting software updates and or will be decommissioned.
I've Been Here Awhile

I would caution anyone looking at the 3.0 and the consistently horrendous quality of service they've had makes me concerned to consider spending any money on rogers 4k services. My Nextbox 3.0 experience has been 100% garbage. I have 2 TVs with these boxes. Between the 2 TVs the boxes have been replaced 7 or 8 times. The only reason I'm still with rogers is all the other services I have through them make me feel trapped to keep it. One box is doing "okay" currently and the other is still terrible with frequent reboots. Just yesterday, I missed the end of a NFL wildcard game because of a crash and reboot. Every time I threaten to change the box I get crys from my family because there is no way to transfer unwatched programming to the replacement box. I spend over $500 monthly with rogers services and every month I feel ripped off. Their TV and TV related apps are terrible.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@WiseGuy1:  The type of issue you mention is almost always related to a poor signal in your home or in your neighbourhood.  There is no way you had that many "bad boxes".  Call Rogers and have them check the signal in your home/neighbourhood - they can do this remotely. 

I've Been Here Awhile

On at least 3 ocassions, probably 4, I have had a technician in my house changing a box and telling me I have good quality signal strength. The result each time has been them determining that the box needs to be changed. The technicians have always come after long and useless calls with customer service telling me everthing they can check remotely is good and they'll have to send a technician. The only good thing that has come out of these problems is a technician setting up the whole home PVR service for free because of all the problems I've had.

Hello @WiseGuy1!

Welcome to our Community!

I am terribly sorry to hear that your experience with us hasn't been up to your expectations. I would have to echo the previous poster however in saying 7 or 8 replacements of the Nextbox 3.0 does seem excessive. In my experience, that would indicate something else is going on here.

I would like to take a look at the history of this problem on your account and work toward a better resolution for you. Please PM us @CommunityHelps for further assistance. You can find instructions on how to PM us here.

Regards,

RogersCorey