Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

Well I changed to Bell Fibe TV/Home Phone/Internet (300/50 unlimited) because they offered me a deal and I was getting fed up with all the cables running everywhere. With Bell I have a 4K PVR and wireless HD receivers in the bedroom(s). I was hoping to promote my TV to a 2016 LG OLED 55" 3D model but couldn't raise the money unfortunately. So am still stuck with an LG 47LW5700 3D HD TV, but have 4K everything else including my Oppo UDP203 Blu-Ray Player. LG have stopped making 3D models to my great chagrin but am hoping they relent soon. If they don't I'll just have to bite the bullet and relinquish my 3D aspirations. I have bought, but not employed yet, as they would be wasted, high-speed HDMI cables and a much better quality TOSlink cable. I think that booming effect I get when there's no signal going through the TV is the TV's fault actually.. Time only will tell when I finally get my wish and go totally 4K.

I used to have no problems raising money for anything but have forgotten how different things are when one is living on a fixed income - my pension - with prices rising everywhere.

Peter
Toronto
I'm Here A Lot

Is it true that the 4K PVR has 2TB of storage?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From what i can see.. no.

in the + details on the 4k page, says the calcs on what can be recorded are based on a 1tb drive.
So likely thats what it comes stock... you might be able to use an extender with it?
Also that it records 240h HD, which is the same as the NB3.. which has a 1tb

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hmm, the following page seems to intimate that the 4K has twice the HD recording capacity...

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/hardware

One way to confirm would be for someone with a 4K PVR to go into the diagnostics and see the size of the iHDD.

1) Press and hold the Exit key for two seconds until the power LED flashes on the front panel of the PVR
2) In quick succession, press the down arrow button twice, then press the 2 button. This will get you into the diagnostics section

Scroll down to HDD Info - my 9865 shows 931 GB.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @57 & @Jyaneko

Unfortunately the 4K PVR box only has " Capacity 931GB" storage which is 1TB. Shows that on both the 4K PVR boxes I have.

Twice the space means the 4K PVR box compresses the movies and shows that u record to a small factor to record more later on.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Meowmix :  Just as an FYI, the 9865 has also had "media shrink" firmware since late in 2014, allowing for about 60% more capacity in the HDD.  

It's always useful to check these things as the Rogers data is often incorrect or out of date.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @57

Yes that is correct. When i checked the settings on both my 4K boxes and came up as 1TB instead.

Calling Technicolour also gave me the same response as well.

I wonder why they posted " twice the space" since it's a 1TB. Only thing I can think of is the shrinking process has happens.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Due to the fact that Rogers Hardware page listed twice the recording ability, people thought the 4K PVR had a 2TB iHDD.  The CAV10455 has numerous options and could possibly be equipped as such, but it appears that Rogers ordered the 1TB version.  I suspect the Rogers hardware comparison page is simply incorrect.  

From the following page: http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/4k  *Full Details link near the bottom, provides a popup which states for 4K:

90-hours storage capacity estimate is based on an average broadcast bitrate of 20Mbps saving to a 1 terabyte drive. Your experinece may vary.

Here's the link to Technicolor, which I thought previously mentioned a 2TB iHDD option, however, their specs are now more general in nature...

http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/connected-home/video-devices/cable-set-top-boxes/ca...

Rogers did order the 8 demodulator version, which is good.  Note that it mentions "HEVC compression".

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Note also that post 6 of this thread (incorrectly) discussed a 2TB iHDD.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-4K-PVR-vs-Nextbox-3-PVR/m-p/388510#M42365

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @57

Yeah i read that and thought he same however I doubt the on screen diagnostics would be wrong. Both 4K boxes show 931GB Storage each. So unless @Dugi or someone else can provide accurate information other then what u see on the screen it self is wrong. Called Technicolour and they also said all 4K PVR boxes from Rogers are only 1TB. So we shall see.

If 2 boxes are showing 931GB only then it's 1TB. Unless they have a hidden menu which no one knows about and shows the other hard drive there. I took a image but this forum keeps asking me to take a smaller image instead. So here is the link.

http://tinypic.com/r/zsk0g2/9
Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats