Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Nextbox 4K PVR vs. Nextbox 3 PVR

Yes I meant that, sorry.   The BR player I'm hoping to add has an HDMI input (4k pass-through) that is also ARC-capable.   So a major think has to be done here in order to keep my current Audio setup and which relies on a TV-displayed menu to select components. and the new 4K player and TV.

Of course a lottery win would come in very handy and then I could upgrade to the Bose Lifestyle 650 and all my problems disappear.

We can all dream I suppose.

Peter
Toronto
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I will never be an early adpoter to new technology unless its something that I did my research on and played a part in betatesting and operation readyness testing and know the insides and out of what product I am early adopting, and will make my decision based on that.

When HD was launched, I waited 8 years or so before I bought my first HD TV.  HDTV's were very expensive when they first came out, people were dropping in excess of 10 grand to be an early adpoter, and they were 720p, they were mostly plasmas as well and they had a lot of handshake issues.  After waiting 8 years, I bit the bullet and bought an HDTV, the price was very affordable, it was in the $400 range, an HDSTB was required to get the best picture quality, but rogers only supplied component cables at the time, but either way, it worked out great because the TV store gave a discount on the STB when you bought a TV set. No one in their right mind would pay $400 for a STB when they bought their TV for 400, so the deal was like $199 for the HD non pvr box at the time, (no body was buying pvr's back then anyway) and I eventually found HDMI cables from one of the stores @ Dixie n Matheson for inexpensive and was able to go 1080p, but later I changed it to 720p and it works great.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As for the whole sound system thingy, Most people I know can not afford a house because of the ridiculous housing prices are out of reach, even for wealthy people. So a lot of them moved into Condos and instead of buying a home theatre sound system, they have opted for Sound bars. In my situation too, I have decided to buy a Sound bar because I have young kids so I can never really turn up the volume loud because the kids sleep at night and I don;t want to to wake them up, but I do use the sound bar.

In my case I have connected the toslink fiber optic cable from the back of my tv to the input of the sound bar, and change the input source of the TV on the actual TV itself and do not have to worry about changing inputs on the sound bar, because what ever input the tv is on, the sound bar will play and it sounds great too,

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Pauly  You and I think alike on this one - We got our first HDMI (only one) for $400.00 on a black Friday sale at then Future Shop - Samsun 46".  No bells, whistles, does what it is designed to be.

We have the Nextbox 3 currently and our home theater sound system in our 11 by 10 room - a logitech PC speakers centre woofer for bass, and two mid/high range speakers with split over cable from usual PC sound output to RCA cables to the nextbox RCA sound out -

I would have to figure out an alternative if we ended up with a box with only HDMI - We have another TV in the house - not HD, a small flat screen for bedroom - it also has a $29.00 HDMI centre woofer and 2 mid/high range speakers.

And my old solution - I had a turntable, receiver, speaker solution over 40 years old now - still works like a charm.  Originally plugged into RCA sound in.

I use my stable well known equipment to the limit - no extra money in this fixed income household to spare and I have never thrown out working technology.

I know if forced to go to HDMI only - I will pick up a bar for under the TV. 

Ahh, got to love technology - I leave the playing around with the early changes to others - I wait for the prices to come down and I know they are stable and lots of reviews on products.

Brucde

@Pauly wrote:
As for the whole sound system thingy, Most people I know can not afford a house because of the ridiculous housing prices are out of reach, even for wealthy people. So a lot of them moved into Condos and instead of buying a home theatre sound system, they have opted for Sound bars. In my situation too, I have decided to buy a Sound bar because I have young kids so I can never really turn up the volume loud because the kids sleep at night and I don;t want to to wake them up, but I do use the sound bar.

In my case I have connected the toslink fiber optic cable from the back of my tv to the input of the sound bar, and change the input source of the TV on the actual TV itself and do not have to worry about changing inputs on the sound bar, because what ever input the tv is on, the sound bar will play and it sounds great too,

I have Toslink and use it for TV-generated signals at present, such as Netflix etc.   The only problem I find with optical audio connections is if you are changing the movie or at least it's otherwise quiet for a moment, the Toslink connection starts a periodic echo-like booming but there's no issues with the sound when playing content.   I've tried to research it and come up with nothing thus far.

When I jump to a 4K TV which my AV system can't handle video-wise,  I'll probably have to connect more stuff to the TV directly and use that link more.

Peter
Toronto
I've Been Here Awhile

Apparently the downside of getting the NEXTBOX 4K PVR would be the incompatibility of using the Home Edition App, so not being able to manage recordings online through smartphones or pc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @iovi69

Weird. Mine works fine with the new updates the 4K PVR box has gotten and with the Home Edition app. Hmm
I'm an Advisor

Hello @pmcsplaza,

I have a Vizio M70-C3 television connected to a Yamaha A-720 via Toslink, and do not have the problem you are describing ("...the only problem I find with the optical audio connections is if you are changing the movie or at least it's otherwise quiet for a moment the Toslink connection starts a periodic echo-like booming...").

Have you tried:

- Checking audio settings on the cable box? Press "Settings" on remote, then Audio > Audio Output.  Is Dolby Digital selected on the right side?

- Unplugging the Toslink cable (turn off devices first) and checking for damage? Also - is there excessive dust on the connector or in the optical socket itself?

- Checking to ensure Toslink cable is firmly plugged into both the TV and the amplifier? Unplug and re-plug to ensure.

- Replacing the Toslink cable? I am using this cable from my TV to the amplifier.

What model TV and amplifier/receiver do you have?

Hi,

I'm no longer using Rogers, except for my mobile service.

Peter
Toronto
I'm an Advisor

Hello again,
Okay, was not aware of that. Same troubleshooting questions apply even with equipment from other providers.

Hopefully you figure it out (if still having the same issue).