Nextbox 4K PVR might look best with 1080i output!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: Nextbox 4K PVR might look best with 1080i output!

Anyone know if the TMN/HBO On Demand content is 1080p? Or is it just the Rogers On Demand content (ch100) that's 1080p?
I'm a Regular

So I was playing around with the resolution setting on my NB3 since I hadn't touched it in a long time. Looks like they fixed the 1080p setting. 1080p now looks better than 1080i. I have to believe the 4K boxes are the same.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I've had my Nextbox 3.0 outputting 1080p for a few months now. I also notice it outputs better at 1080p vs 1080i.
I can't wait for Rogers to launch the X1 platform next year, hopefully they change the compression scheme currently in use to something that offers higher quality. Remember X1 isn't true IPTV, it's a hybrid setup.

I've Been Around

My nextbox3 died. Went to Rogers store for replacement. No 3's available so they gave me a 4k box with the 4k feature deactivated. The picture seems not as sharp as nextbox3 in 1080p. Slightly fuzzy. I think the 4 may be worse than the 3 for non-4k. Considering returning it for a 3. Anybody else experience this?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jeff7y :  On another forum, people who have Bell and 4K boxes complained of a similar problem, however, Bell sends all HD channels out as 720P, so when they changed their boxes to 720P, they had good quality on the HD channels.

Have you tried 1080i instead of 1080P?  It's possible that disabling 4K has an impact, but I've never heard of that.  I've heard of lots of people getting 4K boxes, but not of them being "hobbled".  If you have a 4K TV have you tried the 4K setting?

Also, are you using the same input on the TV as before? Sometimes inputs are different and TV inputs always require optimization (calibration). Different devices can have different outputs and different inputs on the TV can have different settings - for example, contrast, brightness, tint, colour, sharpness, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jeff7y wrote:
My nextbox3 died. Went to Rogers store for replacement. No 3's available so they gave me a 4k box with the 4k feature deactivated. The picture seems not as sharp as nextbox3 in 1080p. Slightly fuzzy. I think the 4 may be worse than the 3 for non-4k. Considering returning it for a 3. Anybody else experience this?

@jeff7y

Have you tried calling into other Rogers stores to get the Nextbox 3?

Also as @57 mentioned, try setting the box to output 1080i

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@gp-se wrote:

@jeff7y wrote:

@jeff7y

Does Rogers actually send out any content at 1080p or is it all just 1080i and 720p, depending on the channel?  I don't think 1080p is part of the ATSC standard, is it?  That may not technically matter since this isn't OTA but it likely is important for setting standards.

@gp-se wrote:

@jeff7y wrote:

@jeff7y

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:

Does Rogers actually send out any content at 1080p or is it all just 1080i and 720p, depending on the channel?  I don't think 1080p is part of the ATSC standard, is it?  That may not technically matter since this isn't OTA but it likely is important for setting standards.

Some On-demand programming may be 1080p, however, all of the HD channels are 720P or 1080i. See the following FAQ.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

I Plan to Stick Around

I recently went from a 8642pvr which is Nextbox 2.0 and skipped the 3.0 and went straight to the 4k pvr. Now that I have it set to 1080p I think it looks much better. I haven't picked up the 4k tv yet but soon. The speed alone compared the NB 2.0 is worth it.