Nextbox 3 won't boot up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox 3 won't boot up

Came home today to find "boot" on my Nextbox 3. After I rebooted, a software update started, but aborted at "CD99" giving a "CRC" error message.  I talked to Rogers and the only troubleshooting was to unplug it and plug it back in after 10 seconds. Other than that, they said I could swap the box, or send out a tech to check the signal. Is there anything anyone can suggest I try from a troubleshooting perspective, or should I just accept my fate and swap the box?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3 won't boot up

It's probably a signal related issue in your home or neighbourhood and they should be able to check it remotely. It's quite rare that it's the box. See the following post on that topic:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks! They're showing a lot of outages in Brampton and Mississauga, so it might very well be weather related. I'll try again later tonight.

Hi @kt26,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Community :).

Are you still experiencing issues with your Nextbox 3.0? Were you able to successfully reboot the box?

Please keep us posted.

RogersZia

I've Been Here Awhile

I had the same problem with my Nextbox 3 PVR not booting up (It is a Cisco 9865 Rev4.1, Mfg 07/29/2013).  It would stop at "Conn".  I called Rogers Tech and they sent a Rogers tech to my home.  He said he sees it 2 or 3 times a day and there is nothing you can do - you have to replace unit.  Having paid $600 over 3 years I did not like his failure to fix it as he is supposed to be the expert.

I tried several times to reboot it and it finally got in a state where it would reBoot continually,  It would say "boot" for serveral minutes then display "----" then say boot again.  I did some online reserch and found the following on digitalhome.ca

NB3 Master Boot : Hold power button and unplug. Wait 5 seconds plug back in while still holding power button in. Wait 5 seconds and release power button. Bunch of stuff comes up saying this box needs to be updated when the network is available.

I tried this and it worked.  Takes a long time to boot up the first time as it is resetting everything.  Once booted it displayed on my TV saying my box was not authorized.  So I called Rogers and they authorized it and everything is back to normal (except all my recordings are erased.)   Strange that Rogers tech would not know how to do this simple reset (maybe he does not want to spend the time waiting for it to boot up or Rogers wants to sell you a new box?).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gord841:  I'm glad you were able to find a resolution over on Digital Home.  BTW, most of these issues are caused by a poor signal in your home or neighbourhood - see link below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

If it happens to you again, check the signal by calling Rogers or going into the diagnostics link provided. 

It's quite sad that most technicians want to swap out a box, which is usually only a temporary fix, rather than permanently fixing the source of the problem, which is often signal related. The number of bad boxes is actually quite small, as discussed in the link above.

I've Been Here Awhile

It is quite unlikley that it was a poor signal. Two other HD receivers on the same cable connection worked well over the 2 months the issue occured in the Nextbox 3  Cisco model 9865 PVR

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gord841: Are the other boxes also 9865?  If not, the 9865 has been shown to require more signal than most other boxes (say 4642, 8642, etc) . Also, if they're not at exactly the same location in the home, then it's possible for one cable outlet to have lower (or out of range) signal.