Nextbox 3 - forced resolution to 1080p issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Nextbox 3 - forced resolution to 1080p issue

I have a Panasonic Plasma which is only capable 720. No matter how many times I set the res on the Nextbox 3 it automatically changes to 1080P since the upgrade. I have a feeling this is leading to my pixelation and screen freezing issues , due to higher scan rates processed, and some form of lower signal strength to my box. i am assuming if I can lock at lower resolution, it will require less overhead for the box. This is only an assumption, but it seems to help when the Nextbox remains fixed/matched to my TV resolution. Why does Rogers always screw up with their ideas of a better fix. Give us back the option to lock a resolution, whether the box is on or off.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kmwolf wrote:

1. I have a Panasonic Plasma which is only capable 720.

2. No matter how many times I set the res on the Nextbox 3 it automatically changes to 1080P since the upgrade.

3. I have a feeling this is leading to my pixelation and screen freezing issues , due to higher scan rates processed, and some form of lower signal strength to my box.

4. i am assuming if I can lock at lower resolution, it will require less overhead for the box.

1. What is the exact model number of your TV?

2. This is because, even if the TV only displays at 768P (there are no current 720P displays, they are 768 x 1366 or similar), it does seem to accept 1080P if you're not getting a "no signal" issue with the TV.

3. Pixellation and screen freezes are almost always due to poor signal strength, at your home or in your neighbourhood. Call Rogers and have them check the signal at the box and in your neighbourhood. They can do this remotely.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

4. I doubt this is the issue, as mentioned above.

I've Been Around

I've been having this issue for months.  At first, it was just a jittery image which I realized was because it was at 1080P and I had to reset to 1080i.   But now I get only an Invalid Format error and have had to switch to a yellow video cable which has severely reduced picture quality.   Component cables that Rogers dropped off at my house didn't work.   I've been on the phone about 5 times with Rogers and had technicians to the house.   Last time I was told to trade in my PVR.  That worked for about an hour.  Very frustrating.   I realize my 52" LG is now 10 years old but the picture quality has always been outstanding but now I'm forced to decide on a new TV or leave Rogers and try Bell as they've installed the new Fibe cables in my neighbourhood.

@57 wrote:

@Kmwolf wrote:

1. I have a Panasonic Plasma which is only capable 720.

2. No matter how many times I set the res on the Nextbox 3 it automatically changes to 1080P since the upgrade.

3. I have a feeling this is leading to my pixelation and screen freezing issues , due to higher scan rates processed, and some form of lower signal strength to my box.

4. i am assuming if I can lock at lower resolution, it will require less overhead for the box.

1. What is the exact model number of your TV?

2. This is because, even if the TV only displays at 768P (there are no current 720P displays, they are 768 x 1366 or similar), it does seem to accept 1080P if you're not getting a "no signal" issue with the TV.

3. Pixellation and screen freezes are almost always due to poor signal strength, at your home or in your neighbourhood. Call Rogers and have them check the signal at the box and in your neighbourhood. They can do this remotely.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

4. I doubt this is the issue, as mentioned above.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jimmywhye wrote:

...and have had to switch to a yellow video cable which has severely reduced picture quality.   Component cables that Rogers dropped off at my house didn't work.  

You do not need to use the composite (yellow) inferior cable.  The reason that the component video cables are not working is because your PVR is still set to 1080P, which cannot be output by CV cables on this box.

What you need to do is.

1. Disconnect HDMI cable

2. Using composite cable set the output to 1080i.

3. Switch to component video input on the TV and all should be fine.

4. Remove composite cable.

If the above doesn't work, here's an alternate method.

1. Using the HDMI connection, switch the output to 1080i.

2. Do NOT turn off the PVR.

3. Switch the TV to the component video cable input and it should work.

4. Remove HDMI cable.

Do not utilize the HDMI cable, otherwise the next time you turn the PVR on, it will go back to 1080P

I've Been Here Awhile

This is now a non issue as I had to discard my purchased Nextbox 3 and went with a rented 4K PVR. Constant pixelation that three techs couldn't figure out, so I gave up and got the "latest" technology. LOL

I'm Here A Lot

I am glad the 4K PVR is working for you.  I am going to follow up with Rogers.

But I am surprised you were forced to rent. If Rogers has a technical solution to this problem, that is, using the 4K PVR, why are not they offering it free to those of us suffering the outcome of their own PVR software update snafu? Earlier this spring I was offered a free Netbox 3 to resolve the issue.  Tried it, but it didn't work and I took it back. 

But they never offered me the 4K PVR as a solution.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm kind of surprised that the 4K box is a "solution".  I would have thought that the Navigatr firmware is similar to/identical to, the firmware used on the 9865/8642.  I would have thought that it also "shakes hands" with the TV each time it powers up and would utilize 1080P if it gets that "handshake" back from the TV.

I've Been Here Awhile

You know, I am confused by the whole thing. I was repeatedly told pixelation had nothing to do with the box, but that is what I was experiencing. I had techs out twice, replacing ground connections, newer inhome splitters, and even a temporary line out to the curb stack, split off of someone eles signal, because they couldn't find my personal house line in the stack. Hmmm. My wife was upset and it frustrated me as well. I only have a 720P TV, but I was hoping the 4K box had some form of better software. It is working for me at the moment. No one from Rogers offered me financial help or a free 4K box to replace my owned Nextbox 3. I spend $120 per month for this service that has been a pain for months now, and now I am forced to pay an additional $24 to rent this box. This is the agro we have to deal with a monopoly if we want their service. There are other options I'm sure will become more palatable in the near future.

I've Been Here Awhile

Ditto to irelandm's posts here. I have the identical issue. I need to have HDMI output fixed at 1080i. A setup (9865HD box) that was working perfectly suddently failed in March with the firmware update to  6.3.0.0104. 1080i is still an option but now automatically reverts to 1080p without any option for 1080i fixed.

Rogers, there is no excuse for this kind of consumer disregard. The required fix, adding an option for 1080i fixed, can not be difficult.

Now, if someone in the know can reveal a method for accessing Advanced Options on these boxes ........

I'm a Senior Advisor

@niscove wrote:

Ditto to irelandm's posts here. I have the identical issue. I need to have HDMI output fixed at 1080i. A setup (9865HD box) that was working perfectly suddently failed in March with the firmware update to  6.3.0.0104. 1080i is still an option but now automatically reverts to 1080p without any option for 1080i fixed.

Rogers, there is no excuse for this kind of consumer disregard. The required fix, adding an option for 1080i fixed, can not be difficult.

Now, if someone in the know can reveal a method for accessing Advanced Options on these boxes ........

What advanced options are you looking for?

Any user configurable parameters are available in the Navigatr settings menu.