cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox 3 - forced resolution to 1080p issue

irelandm
I plan to stick around

Hi

Since an update in March my Nextbox 3 keeps forcing the screen resolution to 1080p.  The problem is that my TV (an LG 50PC3D) maxes out at 1080i.  This creates an invalid format error between the TV and the Cable Box and the image is poor or non existent.  I am forced to re-set the settings to 1080i at every start, many times from a black screen.  Not nice!

Have reported this to Rogers on numerous occasions since March but the problem is still not resolved.  I am told this is an outcome of changes made by Rogers to "force" screen resolution to the "best" setting.  There seems to be no end in sight to this from my perspective. 

Anyone else struggling with this issue and have any advice to offer?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nextbox 3 - forced resolution to 1080p issue

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Looks like Rogers listened and added an "AUTO" option.

They added an option under: Settings -> Appearance -> TV Type: Auto

It defaults to "AUTO" which *should* choose the best resolution your TV supports, but you can still manually change it to whatever you like (1080p, 1080i, 720p)

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@irelandm:

There are several posts in the Navigatr thread on this topic, but it only appears to affect a few people.  One I found was also for an LG TV, like yours which is a 768P TV (1366 x 768), but accepts 720P or 1080i (almost all TVs accept 1080i).

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/NextBox-Navigatr-October-November-2016-Deployment/m-p/389153...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/NextBox-Navigatr-October-November-2016-Deployment/m-p/393215...

Make sure your TV firmware is up to date and check out the previous links to see if there is anything that helps there.

If nothing works, then you may wish to switch to component video/analogue audio cables to the TV.

irelandm
I plan to stick around

Switching cable type has been suggested by Rogers but I do not see why I should be forced to switch from superior HDMI to inferior component cable when this is a problem created wholy by the box software.  Things were working fine until March when Rogers admitted they made a change that nerfed my TV.

I have checked for firmware updates for my set but there are none to be had.  It maxes out at 1080i and nothing is going to change that.

There is no way around this for me unless Rogers fixes the problem -- if they are able (and I am skeptical given the point you make about this being isolated to certain TV sets). 

Maybe Rogers should offer to buy me a new TV?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@irelandm wrote:

I have checked for firmware updates for my set but there are none to be had.  It maxes out at 1080i and nothing is going to change that.

The firmware in your TV should be telling the Rogers box the maximum resolution that it can receive, like all other TVs that don't accept 1080P. There is something wrong regarding the handshake with your particular TV (and perhaps other older LG models).

Whenever there is a firmware update there are occasional incompatibilities that arise, similar to when you update the OS on a computer and need to update certain older software.

Component video signals should not be considered "inferior" especially on a 768P TV, so you may wish to consider that route.

In order to avoid resetting via a "black screen", you could perhaps connect the box to the TV via composite video, switch the TV to that input and then change the settings, and then change back to the HDMI input.  If you leave your PVR "on", you should only need to change output format after a reboot.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's a fact of life that older equipment sometimes becomes obsolete or requires a "workaround.  Your TV is over 10 years old. You may wish to contact LG to see if they have a firmware update that your TV is not picking up.  When I went to the following website a "chat" pop-up appeared - you could give that a try.

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-50pc3d/specs/

irelandm
I plan to stick around

Had tried LG chat and they were next to useless.  They could only point me to their own support website which I had already visited! The LG support website for my set shows no firmware downloads (via USB) available.  Needless to say the TV itself has no download capability from the Internet.

We can agree to disagree on HDMI vs. Component Cable.  But regardless, Rogers is still accountable for their decisions which impact consumers, however few of us there are.  Keep in mind there was no warning, no proactive warning to customers when they made this change.  I was left to figure it out on my own with my limited TV tech savvy and complain.  Hardly an ideal customer service situation.  TV may be 10 years old but it is a 50 inch Plasma and was not cheap when I bought it.  Picture is still great.  Again, am I responsible if Rogers makes it "obsolete" by their decisions?

I appreciate that you are trying to help, thank you.  I am frustrated as almost 2 months have passed and no resolution in sight, and taking it out here.  Will try your workaround suggestions.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree that Rogers should have implemented an option for a "fixed" output option in the settings, instead of only providing an "auto-handshake" option each time you turn on the PVR.

Most other equipment (like BD players) have an option to either "auto-select" the output format or have an override setting where you can choose say 1080i.

Unfortunately the Rogers firmware is being utilized on STBs that have very limited memory capacity and each line of code slows down these boxes.  The 8642 PVR for example is almost uselessly slow after the Navigatr update.  That's probably why many previous options (like manual recordings, etc) have been removed from the firmware.

I believe another reason Rogers went this route is because there were quite a few issues for many customers with the 4K STBs (which also use Navigatr), not "remembering" their 4K settings.  By utilizing the auto-handshake, this "forced" the 4K STBs into the appropriate format for 4K TVs.

Let us know what you decide to do.  I certainly understand your frustration and hope I have been of some assistance, if only by explaining how some of these things come to be.

irelandm
I plan to stick around

Tried component cables.  It made no difference.  The resolution still resolves to 1080p ...

I was aware that Rogers made this decision on behalf of 4K users.  Sadly not all of us can afford a new 4K TV to match that decision.

I will be continuing to contact Rogers support until a resolution of some kind can be reached.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@irelandm wrote:

Tried component cables.  It made no difference.  The resolution still resolves to 1080p

1. Did you remove the HDMI cable and any other cables you have between the 9865 and the TV?

2. Did you select 1080i in the settings before turning the 9865 off for a minute and then back on?

3. Did you do a reboot?

4. With component video connection (and no other video connections) the 9865 should "remember" whatever format you selected the last time the 9865 was on and it should not change to 1080p.  You need to manually select 1080i.  You may need to temporarily utilize a composite video cable to change the setting to 1080i if you just have a black screen. (yellow port - any RCA connector will work - like one of the component video cables) 

irelandm
I plan to stick around

Ok, this time it did work with the component cables, following your instructions, thank you. 

However, as I suspected, the quality of the signal through component/R-W audio cables vs. HDMI is not the same.  The audio quality in particular is poorer.  Also, got unexpected box reboot after just trying to adjust the zoom.

I continue to press Rogers for a true solution to this issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@irelandm:

Yes, analogue audio may not be as good as digital.  To maximize the analogue audio, go into Settings - Audio:

Audio Range - Narrow (best for TVs)  I assume you're not using an AVR (Audio Video Receiver). If you are, you could connect optical cable for better audio and use the normal setting.

Volume Control - Fixed.  This will send the maximum audio level (best S/N ratio) to the TV and you'll control the volume with the TV, not the 9865.

As far as video quality is concerned, each input on the TV should be properly optimized.  If done, you should have component video images that come very close to HDMI.  Try various picture modes for example.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76161-faq-what-you-need-do-your-new-hdtv.ht...

The Zoom mode on the 9865 is extremely poor. You should be using the TV's stretch/zoom modes instead.  Just remember to "un-zoom" for HD.  I never use zoom or stretch because the picture quality becomes poor and I usually watch HD channels. There is only 1 SD programme I watch occasionally and I leave it as is.

Good luck with Rogers.

Kmwolf
I'm here a lot

I have a Panasonic Plasma which is only capable 720. No matter how many times I set the res on the Nextbox 3 it automatically changes to 1080P since the upgrade. I have a feeling this is leading to my pixelation and screen freezing issues , due to higher scan rates processed, and some form of lower signal strength to my box. i am assuming if I can lock at lower resolution, it will require less overhead for the box. This is only an assumption, but it seems to help when the Nextbox remains fixed/matched to my TV resolution. Why does Rogers always screw up with their ideas of a better fix. Give us back the option to lock a resolution, whether the box is on or off.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kmwolf wrote:

1. I have a Panasonic Plasma which is only capable 720.

2. No matter how many times I set the res on the Nextbox 3 it automatically changes to 1080P since the upgrade.

3. I have a feeling this is leading to my pixelation and screen freezing issues , due to higher scan rates processed, and some form of lower signal strength to my box.

4. i am assuming if I can lock at lower resolution, it will require less overhead for the box.

1. What is the exact model number of your TV?

2. This is because, even if the TV only displays at 768P (there are no current 720P displays, they are 768 x 1366 or similar), it does seem to accept 1080P if you're not getting a "no signal" issue with the TV.

3. Pixellation and screen freezes are almost always due to poor signal strength, at your home or in your neighbourhood. Call Rogers and have them check the signal at the box and in your neighbourhood. They can do this remotely.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

4. I doubt this is the issue, as mentioned above.

jimmywhye
I've been around

I've been having this issue for months.  At first, it was just a jittery image which I realized was because it was at 1080P and I had to reset to 1080i.   But now I get only an Invalid Format error and have had to switch to a yellow video cable which has severely reduced picture quality.   Component cables that Rogers dropped off at my house didn't work.   I've been on the phone about 5 times with Rogers and had technicians to the house.   Last time I was told to trade in my PVR.  That worked for about an hour.  Very frustrating.   I realize my 52" LG is now 10 years old but the picture quality has always been outstanding but now I'm forced to decide on a new TV or leave Rogers and try Bell as they've installed the new Fibe cables in my neighbourhood.

@57 wrote:

@Kmwolf wrote:

1. I have a Panasonic Plasma which is only capable 720.

2. No matter how many times I set the res on the Nextbox 3 it automatically changes to 1080P since the upgrade.

3. I have a feeling this is leading to my pixelation and screen freezing issues , due to higher scan rates processed, and some form of lower signal strength to my box.

4. i am assuming if I can lock at lower resolution, it will require less overhead for the box.

1. What is the exact model number of your TV?

2. This is because, even if the TV only displays at 768P (there are no current 720P displays, they are 768 x 1366 or similar), it does seem to accept 1080P if you're not getting a "no signal" issue with the TV.

3. Pixellation and screen freezes are almost always due to poor signal strength, at your home or in your neighbourhood. Call Rogers and have them check the signal at the box and in your neighbourhood. They can do this remotely.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

4. I doubt this is the issue, as mentioned above.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jimmywhye wrote:

...and have had to switch to a yellow video cable which has severely reduced picture quality.   Component cables that Rogers dropped off at my house didn't work.  

You do not need to use the composite (yellow) inferior cable.  The reason that the component video cables are not working is because your PVR is still set to 1080P, which cannot be output by CV cables on this box.

What you need to do is.

1. Disconnect HDMI cable

2. Using composite cable set the output to 1080i.

3. Switch to component video input on the TV and all should be fine.

4. Remove composite cable.

If the above doesn't work, here's an alternate method.

1. Using the HDMI connection, switch the output to 1080i.

2. Do NOT turn off the PVR.

3. Switch the TV to the component video cable input and it should work.

4. Remove HDMI cable.

Do not utilize the HDMI cable, otherwise the next time you turn the PVR on, it will go back to 1080P

Kmwolf
I'm here a lot

This is now a non issue as I had to discard my purchased Nextbox 3 and went with a rented 4K PVR. Constant pixelation that three techs couldn't figure out, so I gave up and got the "latest" technology. LOL

irelandm
I plan to stick around

I am glad the 4K PVR is working for you.  I am going to follow up with Rogers.

But I am surprised you were forced to rent. If Rogers has a technical solution to this problem, that is, using the 4K PVR, why are not they offering it free to those of us suffering the outcome of their own PVR software update snafu? Earlier this spring I was offered a free Netbox 3 to resolve the issue.  Tried it, but it didn't work and I took it back. 

But they never offered me the 4K PVR as a solution.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm kind of surprised that the 4K box is a "solution".  I would have thought that the Navigatr firmware is similar to/identical to, the firmware used on the 9865/8642.  I would have thought that it also "shakes hands" with the TV each time it powers up and would utilize 1080P if it gets that "handshake" back from the TV.

Kmwolf
I'm here a lot

You know, I am confused by the whole thing. I was repeatedly told pixelation had nothing to do with the box, but that is what I was experiencing. I had techs out twice, replacing ground connections, newer inhome splitters, and even a temporary line out to the curb stack, split off of someone eles signal, because they couldn't find my personal house line in the stack. Hmmm. My wife was upset and it frustrated me as well. I only have a 720P TV, but I was hoping the 4K box had some form of better software. It is working for me at the moment. No one from Rogers offered me financial help or a free 4K box to replace my owned Nextbox 3. I spend $120 per month for this service that has been a pain for months now, and now I am forced to pay an additional $24 to rent this box. This is the agro we have to deal with a monopoly if we want their service. There are other options I'm sure will become more palatable in the near future.

niscove
I've been here awhile

Ditto to irelandm's posts here. I have the identical issue. I need to have HDMI output fixed at 1080i. A setup (9865HD box) that was working perfectly suddently failed in March with the firmware update to  6.3.0.0104. 1080i is still an option but now automatically reverts to 1080p without any option for 1080i fixed.

Rogers, there is no excuse for this kind of consumer disregard. The required fix, adding an option for 1080i fixed, can not be difficult.

Now, if someone in the know can reveal a method for accessing Advanced Options on these boxes ........

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor

@niscove wrote:

Ditto to irelandm's posts here. I have the identical issue. I need to have HDMI output fixed at 1080i. A setup (9865HD box) that was working perfectly suddently failed in March with the firmware update to  6.3.0.0104. 1080i is still an option but now automatically reverts to 1080p without any option for 1080i fixed.

Rogers, there is no excuse for this kind of consumer disregard. The required fix, adding an option for 1080i fixed, can not be difficult.

Now, if someone in the know can reveal a method for accessing Advanced Options on these boxes ........

What advanced options are you looking for?

Any user configurable parameters are available in the Navigatr settings menu.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Looks like Rogers listened and added an "AUTO" option.

They added an option under: Settings -> Appearance -> TV Type: Auto

It defaults to "AUTO" which *should* choose the best resolution your TV supports, but you can still manually change it to whatever you like (1080p, 1080i, 720p)

Topic Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 10 in conversation