Nextbox 3 - forced resolution to 1080p issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3 - forced resolution to 1080p issue

Looks like Rogers listened and added an "AUTO" option.

They added an option under: Settings -> Appearance -> TV Type: Auto

It defaults to "AUTO" which *should* choose the best resolution your TV supports, but you can still manually change it to whatever you like (1080p, 1080i, 720p)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

They added an option under: Settings -> Appearance -> TV Type: Auto

Of course this only applies if you have the latest firmware on your STB.  If you're still on 6.3.0.0104, then this option will not be available. It may take several weeks until everyone has the latest firmware, so those on older firmware will need to be patient. There is no way to "force" a new firmware download.

You can see the firmware version under Settings - scroll up one to Troubleshooting - System Information (Software Version).

I'm an Advisor

Hello @57,

Do you see any advantage in using the 1080p setting, versus the 1080i setting? (are any non-4K channels broadcasting at 1080p?).

Last time I checked, only ROD offered 1080p content.

(No snark intended, this is a genuine question).  Of course, your answer may depend on what TV is being used (quality of internal video scaler, especially on 4K sets).

Thanks 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robindp:

In the past I have always recommended to perform the conversion in the TV since most TVs had better scalers, converters, interpolators, extrapolators, etc.

However, I recently did an experiment with my own 9865 and my new 4K TV and noticed no difference between a 1080i and 1080P setting on a 1080i incoming signal.  As always, each person's results can be different and I always recommend experimenting with your own equipment to see which works best for you.

Yes, so far all broadcast TV is either 720P or 1080i, mostly the latter.  See:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

I'm an Advisor

Thanks for the reply, @57. This re-inforces what I stated above and my own experiences with my TV.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for sharing this information.  I had not heard back from Rogers Tech Support about this development.

I checked and had received the update.

I tested the fix this morning with my LG 50PC3D plasma using an HDMI cable and setting the resolution to 1050i (its maximum resolution) in Settings.

I pulled out the component cables I was using and plugged in the HDMI cable.  I then rebooted the box. 

So far it is staying at 1050i resolution without any manual intervention.

It seems that the problem is solved as far as my TV is concerned. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Sounds good.

I will have to wait a couple of weeks to test my own setup. I'll reply then.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@irelandm

that's good news, hopefully this resolves the issue for everyone once they receive the new firmware. 

I've Been Here Awhile

The new Appearance menu is working now as it should. A setting of 1080i remains set between channels of differing broadcast resolutions, and survives wakeup from idle.

If Rogers implemented the fix in response to the posts here, I am impressed and in any case thank those responsible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@niscove wrote:

The new Appearance menu is working now as it should. A setting of 1080i remains set between channels of differing broadcast resolutions, and survives wakeup from idle.

If Rogers implemented the fix in response to the posts here, I am impressed and in any case thank those responsible.

@niscove

The box will always display the either 1080i/1080p/720p, whatever the max the TV supports. It won't auto switch like the old SA boxes running SARA firmware. The majority of channels are 1080i, so auto switching to 720p when a channel is broadcast in 720p won't happen anymore.

I personally miss the old SARA firmware because it would output whatever was broadcast into it, and allow the TV to do the conversion. 

Yes Rogers DOES listen to it's customers, and I'm very happy they implemented the fix!