cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nextbox 3 - forced resolution to 1080p issue

irelandm
I plan to stick around

Hi

Since an update in March my Nextbox 3 keeps forcing the screen resolution to 1080p.  The problem is that my TV (an LG 50PC3D) maxes out at 1080i.  This creates an invalid format error between the TV and the Cable Box and the image is poor or non existent.  I am forced to re-set the settings to 1080i at every start, many times from a black screen.  Not nice!

Have reported this to Rogers on numerous occasions since March but the problem is still not resolved.  I am told this is an outcome of changes made by Rogers to "force" screen resolution to the "best" setting.  There seems to be no end in sight to this from my perspective. 

Anyone else struggling with this issue and have any advice to offer?

***Edited Labels***

34 REPLIES 34

Re: Nextbox 3 - forced resolution to 1080p issue

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

They added an option under: Settings -> Appearance -> TV Type: Auto

Of course this only applies if you have the latest firmware on your STB.  If you're still on 6.3.0.0104, then this option will not be available. It may take several weeks until everyone has the latest firmware, so those on older firmware will need to be patient. There is no way to "force" a new firmware download.

You can see the firmware version under Settings - scroll up one to Troubleshooting - System Information (Software Version).

robindp
I'm an advisor

Hello @57,

Do you see any advantage in using the 1080p setting, versus the 1080i setting? (are any non-4K channels broadcasting at 1080p?).

Last time I checked, only ROD offered 1080p content.

(No snark intended, this is a genuine question).  Of course, your answer may depend on what TV is being used (quality of internal video scaler, especially on 4K sets).

Thanks 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robindp:

In the past I have always recommended to perform the conversion in the TV since most TVs had better scalers, converters, interpolators, extrapolators, etc.

However, I recently did an experiment with my own 9865 and my new 4K TV and noticed no difference between a 1080i and 1080P setting on a 1080i incoming signal.  As always, each person's results can be different and I always recommend experimenting with your own equipment to see which works best for you.

Yes, so far all broadcast TV is either 720P or 1080i, mostly the latter.  See:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

robindp
I'm an advisor
Thanks for the reply, @57. This re-inforces what I stated above and my own experiences with my TV.

irelandm
I plan to stick around

Thank you for sharing this information.  I had not heard back from Rogers Tech Support about this development.

I checked and had received the update.

I tested the fix this morning with my LG 50PC3D plasma using an HDMI cable and setting the resolution to 1050i (its maximum resolution) in Settings.

I pulled out the component cables I was using and plugged in the HDMI cable.  I then rebooted the box. 

So far it is staying at 1050i resolution without any manual intervention.

It seems that the problem is solved as far as my TV is concerned. 

niscove
I've been here awhile

Sounds good.

I will have to wait a couple of weeks to test my own setup. I'll reply then.

@irelandm

that's good news, hopefully this resolves the issue for everyone once they receive the new firmware. 

niscove
I've been here awhile

The new Appearance menu is working now as it should. A setting of 1080i remains set between channels of differing broadcast resolutions, and survives wakeup from idle.

If Rogers implemented the fix in response to the posts here, I am impressed and in any case thank those responsible.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@niscove wrote:

The new Appearance menu is working now as it should. A setting of 1080i remains set between channels of differing broadcast resolutions, and survives wakeup from idle.

If Rogers implemented the fix in response to the posts here, I am impressed and in any case thank those responsible.

@niscove

The box will always display the either 1080i/1080p/720p, whatever the max the TV supports. It won't auto switch like the old SA boxes running SARA firmware. The majority of channels are 1080i, so auto switching to 720p when a channel is broadcast in 720p won't happen anymore.

I personally miss the old SARA firmware because it would output whatever was broadcast into it, and allow the TV to do the conversion. 

Yes Rogers DOES listen to it's customers, and I'm very happy they implemented the fix!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

I personally miss the old SARA firmware because it would output whatever was broadcast into it, and allow the TV to do the conversion.

As with all other providers, once you go to an HD guide, the output format is a single output format.  SARA is still SD, so it's possible to have "passthrough".

imnor1
I've been here awhile

I know this is an old thread but I think your solution is something that can help me as well. If this is the problem on my output how do I switch the PVR output to 1080i  . My TV screen is black and my display on the nextbox only shows the time. I'm up here at the trailer researching. I downloaded a picture of the rogers remote and don't see a specific button. Thank

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@imnor1:

1. With the box and TV off, disconnect the HDMI cable.

2. Connect a composite (yellow) cable (or any RCA cable like red/white, etc) from the box' composite (yellow) output to the TV's composite (yellow) input.  On some newer TVs the composite input is combined with the component video input, but the "green" input should be labelled as "composite".

3. Turn on the box and the TV and switch the TV to the composite input.  Since the composite output/cable can only carry 480i signals, you should be able to see your box/menu.

4. Using the Rogers remote, go into "Settings - Appearance" select 1080i instead of Auto. Button may be labelled "menu" instead of "settings?  If you have the newer RF remote, you may need to use the old remote if you can't get into "settings", although I believe you can even with the newer remote using "menu".

5. Turn off the TV and box, Disconnect composite cable.

6. Connect HDMI cable , turn the box and TV back on, and switch TV to HDMI input. 

You should then be able to see the 1080i signal.

imnor1
I've been here awhile
Thank you very much for your advice. When I get back home from the trailer I will try this. You should receive a follow up next week. Ron

Doiuglasmaynia
I've been around

Just came across same issue with my LG TV... Rogers Tech support says it is a TV issue, where I see now that it is a Rogers one.  Has anyone been compensated? Bell is looking better all the time...

Topic Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 10 in conversation