Nextbox 3 PVR playback issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Nextbox 3 PVR playback issues

whenever I try to watch recorded shows on my nextbox 3.0 I keep getting blackouts, everything works fine if I'm watching live TV but when I record a show then try to watch it after I keep getting the picture and sound cutting out. Is this a software issue or hardware (I'm thinking the nextbox is just crap at this point) and is there ANYway to fix it?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3 PVR playback issues

That's odd. Some have some similar issues but usually on both live and recorded..
If it's ok on live, than it shouldn't be a hardware/output issue

Have you rebooted it yet?

I've Been Here Awhile

I get the exact same thing happening. And I find that if I skip back and rewatch a part that blacked out, it plays ok. Leads me to the conclusion that this is a playback software issue.

Rebooting the box doesn't solve the problem at all.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Odd.. unless its a bad box/update issues.

I have had mine since near day one.. as have a few others on here (meowmix, etc), and a few others i personaly know..
A few of them have the audio 5.1 dropout issue.. but watching playback and live.. is perfectly fine.

I've Been Around

I have the same issue during playback. The screen flashes black for a split second a couple of times and then crashes with a not supported message on the screen. It only happens during playback of recorded shows. Live is just fine.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Reading a few other threads on other boards about this.. something just came to me.

What is your guys VIDEO settings set at?
Settings > Appearance, i beleive..

What do you have the video resolution set at?

For some reason the 1080p doesnt work quite right on the box.. could be causing the issue.  Make sure its on 1080i or 720p.

I'm a Regular

I've been trying everything over the past couple of weeks and still no luck I've changed the hdmi cable, tried using the composite instead of HDMI I've reset the box a few times and changed the output to 1080i (although I don't know why any of these would only effect the pvr playback and not the live tv) but nothing has worked it still cuts out randomly during playback but the live tv works fine
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. Only thing left would be to swap the box I guess Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think it is a netbox 3.0 problem that will be fixed by switching boxes; it is likely firmware or hardware related.

The video dropout  issue shows up for me during recorded program playback when the netbox 3.0 is set to 1080p. Both the 1080i and 720p modes work fine.

If I had to guess at the cause of the problem I would say the upconversion to 1080p by the Netbox 3.0 either has a firmware bug or simply the hardware cannot keep up.

In anycase it is something Rogers needs to take up with Cisco and either get fixed in the next firmware release or removed. Just leaving it there broken caused me a couple of evenings of frustraion until I investigated a solution.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since my earlier posting it was found that the 1080p doesn't work (well, it's broken since the box is supposed to support it)

In the end 1080i is fine as no content is push out higher from Rogers than 1080i