Nextbox 3.0 surround sound issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3.0 surround sound issues

Ok.

so it sounds like your PS3 and your previous box, were both just connected via the audio cables to the surround sound.

I think really to get this working right.. you will have to do it via HDMI.

So what you need, is to do HDMI from the NB3, into an HDMI input on your surround sound.
put it into the one labeled TV if it has one, to keep it simple.  If not, put it into whatever #.
Then from the HDMI out on the surround sound, an HDMI cable into an HDMI on the TV (the first one is usually easiest to remember)

Make sure that the TV is on that input.  Make sure the surround sound is on the input whatever it was into.
And it SHOULD pass throught the audio through the surround sound, and then continue to pass the rest (video, etc) to the TV.

I Plan to Stick Around

Now I've lost everything. The way you suggested didn't work because nothing appeared on the tv and no sound came on. I put back everything as before and I have no connection to NB, nothing is appearing on my tv. Nothing. Yikes.

I Plan to Stick Around

got my tv screen back. May have to consider surround sound only from my pc. But will try again.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You had the TV itself changed to the input in which the hdmi connection from the surround sound was plugged into?
You have the HDMI going to the TV (which comes out of the surround sound), in the OUTPUT port? (this is important)
You have the HDMI going from the NB3, into an HDMI input on the surround sound?
You have then changed the surround sound, to the input that that HDMI is plugged into? (also can try plugging into different ones, incase one is not working or that input configured different, just make sure that you change the input selection on the surround sound, to match).

From the sounds of everything (at least of what you have described) you have equipment that should be fully capable of doing it this way.
it may just be a miss understanding of HOW you need to plug it in (not understanding my descriptions) or a setting on the surround sound.

I have set up at least 5+ surround sounds in this exact way.. 3 of them being yamaha systems, and i know it should be quite possible.

---
Your previous setup, works well... but is very basic.. and more along the OLD sytle lines of how/what a surround sound was used for... it was more just a secondary audio output source instead of the TV.
Now a days, its usually was does most of the work.... allowing you to plug in MANY components (PC, bluray, cable box, etc) all into it.. and then feed the TV with just one connection.

I Plan to Stick Around

I feel confident enough to try again. Less nervous . Thanks
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm giving up for the day. When I changed things, the PS3 didn't work. I went back to the original and on the tv's remote source , the cable only works if I select game and the PS3 only works if I select cable ( I've always had to do that with my Yamaha remote) and now my Harmony can't select activities, for now I have to use the TV remote to select activities. When I did the change, the tv source would not go to play cable on hdmi when selected even though it was in the right port. Is it late enough in the day to have a glass of wine?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Somewhere in the world its late enough for a glass of wine, maybe several.  What model of Yamaha receiver and tv do you have?  Can you sketch out what you are trying to do, sound out through receiver or tv for the various sources.  I'm not familiar with Yamaha receivers, but on ours, in order to set it correctly for the various sources that are available, I use the Options Screen that is displayed on the tv to bring up the various settings and go to the source selection that I want, for example DVD/CD and then select the actual physical input channel, which could be a regular audio connection, right and left, or a fibre optic input, and then I probably have to select the audio type that it should be receiving.  Its been a long time since I looked at it.  Does the Yamaha have a similar selection process, in terms of selecting the source that you want, and then selecting the physical input channel?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Perhaps that is where some of the issues are comming from.

If you are using a harmony remote.. it will likely be set up for INPUTS specific to the old setup.

When you press watch TV, it turns the TV, box, etc on.. and usually will make sure something is on a specific input, etc.

It may be going back to the old way, which wont work.

It would need to be re-programmed to the new setup.

(if this was all set up for you by someone.. might be worth getting them to come do it all again for you 🙂 )

I Plan to Stick Around

It was set up by Future Shop techs; should have done it myself. I have re-connected with Harmony One and will keep trying to do the set up until I give up. I'm keeping all of your instructions. Thank you