Nextbox 3.0 recordings marked "Null", dated 12/31, won't FFWD/Pause while recording

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox 3.0 recordings marked "Null", dated 12/31, won't FFWD/Pause while recording

Hi!

We've recently noticed that our Nextbox 3.0 will occasionally record a show as scheduled, but when it's done the recording will be named "Null", be dated December 31st and be uneraseable. 

Also, sometimes when we try to rewind or pause a show while it's recording, the PVR will seem like it's about to do those things, then decide it doesn't want to and go back to playing the episode live again. Sort of defeats the purpose of having the thing if it won't rewind a show we're watching or record a thing to let us watch it later. 

Edit: And when the recording is finished, it shows up on the list as a recording of a completely different scheduled program, with a duration of 23 minutes, BUT the whole show is there and will play to a total runtime of the scheduled 35 minutes.

Ideas?

***edited labels***

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Re: Nextbox 3.0 recordings marked "Null", dated 12/31, won't FFWD/Pause while recording

Hi @The_Ferd Welcome to CommunitySmiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the issuesSmiley Sad

No reported known issues that would cause the recording to be named "null" as of right now. It could be a possible software glitch with the one box you have. The information below can help with the inability to properly use the forward and pause function while recording as well. Here are some things you could try

1. Factory resetting the unit(would lose all your previous recordings)
  2. Swapping the box(would lose all your previous recordings)
  3. Having Technical Support perform a reset from their end
  4. Have a ticket escalated for further review

Feel free to chime in with some other suggestions Community!

RogersAsif

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 recordings marked "Null", dated 12/31, won't FFWD/Pause while recording

There is a thread on Digital Home discussing these "null" recordings.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/search.php?searchid=13322106

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Retired Moderator

Thanks @OLDYELLR

I wasn't aware, spoke to a few people about the issue. Will try and look into this a little further. 

The link you provide doesn't seem to reach the topic. I did perform a search on Digital Home Forums using "null" & "nextbox" though.

RogersAsif

I'm a Senior Advisor

That's really odd, because the link I posted didn't work for me either anymore.  I searched for "null" in this thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=177394

If you do the same, you'll find at least a dozen posts mentioning it.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Retired Moderator

Apologies we do have a known issue with some recordings showing up as "undefined files" and being unable to delete that i was aware of.

In this scenario the recordings are marked as "null" and cant be deleted as well, so i figured it was different. Possibly these issues relate.

You could try rebooting the box and see if the recording can be deleted or is gone.

The "undefined files" issue is under investigation.

RogersAsif

I'm Here A Lot

Hello.  This does not appear to be an isolated incident.  I will explain how this has happened to us (no solution yet).  My wife wanted to record a program (Big Brother).  We set it to record the series, only new episodes, any day of the week, any time slot.  Last night, we saw the PVR apparently recording the show from 8 to 9 pm.  We were not watching TV at the time.  After 9:00 pm, my wife wanted to watch the show, but it did not appear in the recorded programs list.  What did show was something called "Null", recorded December 31 (?), 0 minutes in duration.  Nothing would playback, and when we try to delete it, we get a message that we cannot delete it presently because we are watching the show.  The recorded show is no where to be found.  In the "My Recordings" section, Big Brother is listed.  This has happened four consecutive times, and there is a "Null" folder with four "null" recordings in it, all unwatchable and incapable of deletion. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

SOMETIMES it can be a display type issue.

Have you rebooted the box yet?  It will sometimes clear up those errors.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks.  I set it to reboot this morning and left for work.  I'll check it out this evening and report back to y'all!

I'm Here A Lot

Yup.  Reboot worked.  The "null" folders disappeared.  The programs recorded didn't show up, though, because, it seems, they never did record.  We reset the PVR to record the series, and we'll see if it does it again.  Maybe the PVR just hates Big Brother ... Lord knows I do.