Nextbox 3.0 recording issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3.0 recording issue

@a310pilot

One thing you can try in the meantime is to reboot the 9865. Unplug it for a few seconds, plug it back in and wait until the reboot is finished - usually 10 minutes should do the trick.

You may then have PVR functionality back.  It's possible it has a broken hard disk drive.  Do you hear a soft whooshing sound from the PVR?  Do you hear any "clicking" instead?

I've Been Here Awhile

I read online about sounds like that, and no I do not hear a clicking sound. In fact I feel the light vibrations when my box is on, similar to a hard drive on a pc when it is loading.

On thing I noticed tonight, when I click info button on the remote while on guide. It brings me to a small screen where it gives me an option to record. Once I hit record, I see a pop up saying that it is now recording but at the same time I see "cancel this recording" tab for a few seconds and it dissappears and says record this program again. So it def does not record at all...
I've Been Here Awhile

*UPDATE*

I spoke with tech support last night, we did a hard reboot. At that time my box was stuck in "boot" for 22 minutes (phone conversation was about 40 minutes). We tried to bypass that by holding in the power button while unplugging and plugging back in, and it went back into "boot" again for maybe 10-15 minutes. At that point, she advised me to go to a rogers store today and exchange, it could be a hard-drive issue. 

I left it on all night though, this morning I woke up to check and it up and running however still no PVR functionality. 

I'll pick up a different box tonight after work around 7:30pm and try it out. I think this should solve it right? This issue isn't going to come back if I change boxes. Well either way, let's see.....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@a310pilot let us know if the new box fixes the issue. If it doesn't I would call Rogers and have them send a tech out to your home to fix the issue.

I've Been Around

This has been mentioned, but I find it really hard to believe how difficult it is to record programs on Netbox 3.0.  Older PVR's were much easier where you could have filtered just soccer events and then been able to see each match and just record.  With Netbox 3, you can only search for soccer and then get a lot of results with just a logo and no information about it.  Another recording issue is that I have not been able to figure out how to record a program once per week that has a different name but always the same time slot.  A weekly movie on TCM for example.  Any solutions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stain:

The issue is not really the hardware (NB3 - 9865) it's the firmware that operates it.

The problem with setting up a series recording for say "Soccer" or "Hockey" is that most people found this a problem since they were getting too many recordings.  I'm in agreement with them and believe that a more precise programme name is better than a general one.

The lack of information depends on the programme and also on the broadcaster in some instances who may not supply that information in time for the IPG (Interactive Programme Guide). As an FYI, the IPG is not supplied by Rogers, but rather by an outside firm that gathers the information from various broadcasters and then provides the IPG to Rogers.  For more insight on the IPG, check out the following thread.  There's a lot more to it than one would think. (see second link)

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/td-p/350863

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/m-p/356610#M38694

It's not possible to set a VCR-like "manual recording" with Navigatr firmware, unfortunately.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57

Don't know whether people have said this before, but what would new users of Navigtr do without you and a few others.

At least our year of suffering can provide guidance to others, and you and others can also say, I agree that it would be better that way, but it isn't, and it is very unlikely that anything will change.

As always, thanks so much @57  I defer to you to have all the best links.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox3 (9685HD) problem recording All Episodes in the record series option

I just got a Nextbox 3 and I'm trying to set up all my recordings but am having an issue with the "Record all episodes" option (not "record new eps") for a given series.

No matter what I do (tried factory reset, unplug etc.), it will always show 1 or 2 of the next shows under "Scheduled Recordings" instead of listing all of them that I can see in the guide.  I tried setting it to "record all episodes" "any day" "any timeslot" and it will still only do 1 or 2 of the following shows.  If I navigate through the guide I can see the other shows on each of the next days, but they don't have the red dot to show they're going to be recorded and they aren't on the scheduled list.

Again - I am NOT using "record new episodes", this is a completely open "all eps, any timeslot, any day" setting.

I've only had the box for a day, so I don't know if the scheduled list will populate over time or should it just populate the scheduled recordings list right away.   Normally I'd just leave it for a week to test, but I'm setting this up for my parents and want to make sure its working before I go.

Thanks!

I'm a Senior Advisor

The other instances of the show you're trying to record...are they all on the same channel?

From what I can see, when you record a series, the settings only apply to THAT channel...so, for example, if you select "Big Bang Theory" on CBS east, Navigatr should find all of the episodes on CBS east, but won't find any episodes on CTV, or syndicated episodes on NBC, FOX. etc.....

I've Been Here Awhile

Yeah I double checked that the other airings were on the same channel too.  One thing I noticed, if there are say 6 airings of Big Bang Theory this weekend, all 6 will appear on the scheduled list.  But any of the airings after Monday aren't on the scheduled list (again same channel).