Nextbox 3.0: quick way to return to resume recorded programs?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox 3.0: quick way to return to resume recorded programs?

I admit it; I don't usually sit down and watch a recorded program all in one go, and I don't watch live TV much at all. I record it so I can skip commercials. As a result, I want to be able to stop and resume recorded channels easily.

The old Cisco PVR used channel 950 as the location for recorded programs in progress, and if you had the PVR set up to start up at your last channel, you could just fire up the TV/PVR and press "Play" and away you go. Fibe TV does the same with channel 999, but you don't even have to hit "Play"; it just resumes playing your show where you left off immediately.

The Nextbox 3.0 has channel 950 reserved for the PVR, but so far as I can see it doesn't actually use it for anything. It's just black. And to resume playing a previously recorded program now, I have to press "Menu" then arrow across to "Recorded programs" then Select to choose "My programs" then arrow down through my recorded programs (and if it's the program I recorded first, I have to go down through them ALL), then Select to choose the program and Select again to choose to Resume it. It could be worse, but not much, compared to being right there as it is with many other PVRs.

In fairness, I've done my homework and I do realize that the fault for this is with Cisco and not Rogers, who have essentially just done a light re-skinning of the Cisco STB menu system to brand it, but sheesh. Is there any chance that a future firmware update will fix this extremely annoying "feature"?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3.0: quick way to return to resume recorded programs?

Someone who has a NB2 maybe should check to see if it still does it (or can confirm, with the nightly reboot, etc).

As the NB3 and NB2 are technically using the same IPG level... it COULD be partialy hardware related as much as software.. something that for whatever reason, the software cant tell this hardware what to do.. or the hardware doesnt support it, etc.

I'm an Advisor

slimshady:

My NB 3 rebooted itself while I was watching a recording, plus I was recording something else at the same time. When it came back up, the recording picked up right where it left off.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personally I doubt it.

950 is reserved there for the older boxes playback, and the newer nextbox 2 and 3 both don't use it.
Both of them use an overlay for playing the recorded stuff, rather than a channel.

May be a major change in how it works to do it.
Now, they could possibly implement a better shortcut.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I don't have the nextbox 3 But from what I gather it is not a lot different form the 8642 HDPVR.

Can you not just press list on the remote, select the show you want and then select resume play?

I have never had to go through the menu.
I Plan to Stick Around

best thing to get is netflix for programs, movies, bio's, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Jays77, yes it's the same.
The user was not wanting to do that. If you have a huge list of stuff can take a while to go through.
Think they were looking for a recently started sort of list like Netflix has, for ones you have started.

I've Been Here Awhile

The "List" function isn't perfect, but it saves me quite a lot of time and button-presses. I have a Harmony remote, so I've moved "List" on the first screen of the display. I can now restart partially played programs with as few as three clicks. Not as good as one, but better. Thanks!

I Plan to Stick Around

Happy to hear I'm not the only one that used to use channel 950 to switch back to a recorded show. I do this a lot when I'm watching sports and other things and want to check on stuff.

Disappointed to hear these new devices don't work the same way 😞 Especially since I'm running an 8642 and the lag with button presses are extremely annoying.

I'm Here A Lot

Problem with the resume function on Explorer 4642HD box

I have a Next Box upstairs linked by wifi to an Explorer 4642 HD box downstairs. When watching a recorded program on the latter, and I want to interrupt the recording to watch another channel or another recording, when I return to the original recording it will not allow me to resume at the point where I pressed the stop button. I have to start watching the recording from the beginning again. What actually happens when I press stop is that the resume button appears for a few brief seconds then is replaced by the watch button. This was driving me crazy so I called Rogers. The rep on the other end tried to duplicate the problem on a machine at his end, and sure enough, it did exactly the same thing. After a few minutes experimentation he told me he had discovered that you can't resume an interrupted recording until at least 5 minutes into the program. That theory was easily dispelled, so we rebooted the box and everything was fine for about an hour then\it started misbehaving again. So yesterdayi'd had enough and took the box into Rogers in exchange for a brand new one. Guess what? Thenew onehas exactly the same flaw. I usually record more than one sports program at a time and I like to flip around from on recording to the next. This box simply will not let me do this. I amamazedthat thisproblem has not appeared on this forum before as it is clearly an inhererent system failure, since changing the box did not resolve it. What were the chances of me receiving 2 boxes with identical flaws, not to mention the Rogers support rep finding the same problem on his test box. Am I entitled to ask to exchange for a totally different model?