Nextbox 3.0: quick way to return to resume recorded programs?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3.0: quick way to return to resume recorded programs?

@Kellybhoy :  This "lack of resume" is a known issue with the Navigatr firmware. I'm not sure if it affects all PVRS as it doesn't seem to affect one of my 9865s, however, many people have reported the problem.  See the other issues in the following summary:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

What you can do is hit the pause button before leaving the programme. This seems to work, especially for standalone PVRs. You need to be over two minutes into the programme, otherwise pause won't work either and you'll only have the option to restart.  I'm not sure if this (pausing) works for WHPVR setups.    

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Actually there doesn't seem to be an issue with the PVR itself (the NextBox). I believe I've  been able to resume while using the NextBox rather than the Explorer  4626. I am also almost certain I have tried using the pause button without success, but I will try again. What I find astonishing is that you say this has been a "known Issue" and yet Rogers continues to distribute these flawed boxes and charges customers as though everything is working as it should be.  Preventing me from interrupting and then resuming a program from where I left off is no minor issue for me, it is a major inconvenience, one that could easily cause me to switch back to Bell from whence I have just come. I wonder if Rogers cares?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Navigatr firmware has to be one of the worst ever forced upon customers.  Rogers have fixed some of the more egregious errors, however, don't expect them to spend much more time and effort on it.  The fault doesn't lie with Rogers alone as it has to do with changes in ownership of the equipment manufacturers and firmware developers.

Rogers is currently putting all their TV efforts into their upcoming IPTV technology later this year (similar to Fibe), so don't expect any firmware updates to address this (resume) issue.  If Navigatr does get updated, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If you search this forum for "Navigatr" you'll find several long threads on this monstrosity.  At first it didn't even work properly and the problem list was much longer than it is now.  You can see the list of items that were fixed in the link I previously provided.

Of course, as always, each provider has advantages and disadvantages.

Let us know if pause on the 4642 works and if you don't hit pause on the PVR, does it still remember?  Thanks

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Well, I spent all morning experimenting with recorded Olympic broadcasts, and here's what I found. The PVR (NextBox) allows me to resume using either pause or stop. In fact I don't even have to use pause or stop. I can switch to a different channel or even turn the TV off and it will resume where it left off. Using the 4246 box however is a totally different experience. For about an hour it worked perfectly, just like the PVR, then it started its usual nonsense, the resume button changing to "watch" before my eyes after about 4 seconds. Didn't matter whether I pressed pause or stop, or changed channels, or turned the tv off; same result, forcing me to watch the recording from the beginning.

I'm Here A Lot

Sorry, I keep mis-typing the number of the box I am complaining about . It is Explorer 4642HD.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What's the model number of the PVR?  8642 or 9865 or CAV10455?  You do realize that you can edit your posts?  (gear at the top right of the post)

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

The PVR is 9865HD.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, I also did quite a bit of experimenting with my two 9865s.  For me it works once after a reboot and then never again until the next reboot, at which time it will work once.  You should be pleased that your 9865 does remember. Mine do not. Initially one of them did, but it doesn't any more.  Perhaps it's because it now has more recordings on it, or it's longer since a reboot, whatever.

Since this problem arose, I have been using pause and do that all the time now - I have no more time to waste on the issue.  Too bad that doesn't work for your 4642 and WHPVR...  Remember when testing that you do have to have been watching for at least two minutes...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kellybhoy wrote:

Using the 4642 box however is a totally different experience. For about an hour it worked perfectly, just like the PVR, then it started its usual nonsense, the resume button changing to "watch" before my eyes after about 4 seconds. 

I would send a note to "Share a concern" regarding the issue.  Isn't one of the purposes of having WHPVR to be able to watch part of a programme in one room and watch the end in another?  If it doesn't work for the Rogers CSR, then at least you have corroboration of the problem.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@57 wrote:

@Kellybhoy wrote:

Using the 4642 box however is a totally different experience. For about an hour it worked perfectly, just like the PVR, then it started its usual nonsense, the resume button changing to "watch" before my eyes after about 4 seconds. 

I would send a note to "Share a concern" regarding the issue.  Isn't one of the purposes of having WHPVR to be able to watch part of a programme in one room and watch the end in another?  If it doesn't work for the Rogers CSR, then at least you have corroboration of the problem.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

I agree, and thanks for the suggestion. I will do that.