Nextbox 3.0 no picture

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox 3.0 no picture

Tried to connect TV to Nextbox using component cables (red, blue, green). TV does not have HDMI outlet. Able to get audio via audio cable, but not able to get video. Tried two different Nextbox 3.0 boxes ... No success. Cables are fully functional & TV on correct input. Tech support "never had this problem before" Anyone have a solution, short of buying new TV?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3.0 no picture

Only thing I can think... What is the max resolution of your tv? 480i, 720p?
Wondering if maybe its set too high for what your tv can do?

The box has a standard composite output if I remember. Do you get output on that? The. Could go in and lower the video setting

I've Been Here Awhile

TV is 1080p capable, but lacks HDMI input. Nextbox has composite/component output (red, blue, green) ... however... no pic. Seems to be a problem unique to my situation, given the response ... so ... an upgraded TV may become part of my future!

Thanks for your comment.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know one or two others, have used the componet cables OK.. so the output from the box, SHOULD be fine.

If you are renting, i would just go swap the box.. JUST to make sure its not a flakey box.
If you then experience the same.. its definately an issue between your TV not liking it Smiley Sad

I've Been Here Awhile

My first nextbox 3.0 purchased  lasted 10 days @1080P until component video seemed to fail (still had audio). The replacement worked perfectly fine for less than two days until exact same issue arose. Severe pixeling when HDMI used but I need the component anyways. Possibly some signal strength issues but Old SA pvr works fine plugged into same cables.

Not going back to store and absolutely sick of messing around with my A\V cabinet, going to let Rogers come out and sort .their. service issues.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Take your box out of 1080p mode.  There have been many issues floating around message boards with the box upconverting.

Besides, there's nothing on broadcast Tv in 1080p anyway.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 1080p mode is not working, something in the software, etc.

If you are using component primarily anyways, then you may as well set it to 1080i anyways as that is the max component can broadcast anyways.

I've Been Here Awhile

Update: Thought about old issue of some sets (mine is 6 yrs. old) playing 1080P over comoponenet . Hooked up HDMI (no longer pixeling on some channels) and reset output to 1080i. Component output now works again. PVR(s) worked fine for nearly 2 weeks set @ 1080P so don't think it's a handshake issue W\ TV unless it's been triggered by some sort of FW update to the box by Rogers. Can no longer reset to 1080P via component.  

Still going to have a tech out to check inconsistent signal strength.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the quick replys. Component can carry 1080P but the TV they're plugged into may not be capable or may need to downscale but the cables themselves are capable. HDMI 1080p on NB3 still works though so I don't know. 

With the first box lasting nearly two weeks and the second box lasting less than two days (one night), a FW update may be the issue? I don't know but it is curious. 

I've Been Around

I had the same problem.  New Nextbox 3.0.  Connected via component inputs.  Got audio, no picture.  Here is what I had to do:

Got my HD kitchen TV and connected it up - works okay with Nextbox.

Using the remote:  Settings, Appearance:  changed 720p to 1080i.

Now it works fine with my large screen TV which supports 1080i but not 720p.

It's pretty difficult to change the settings if there is no video - that's why I had to use the kitchen TV, which does support 720p.

But you could try it blind:  follow these steps on the remote control:

1. Settings

2. OK button - selects Appearance

3. down arrow - selects TV type

4. left arrow - selects a different resolution

5. down arrow three times - puts cursor on Save

6. OK

7. Exit

You may need to do this more than once until you get a resolution supported by your tv.

You may have to reselect the channel/inut source on the TV for the signal to be recognized.

Rogers tech people ought to know this could be a problem.