Nextbox 3.0 audio feed not available

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox 3.0 audio feed not available

Hi,

I upgraded from NB2.0 to NB3.0, 2 days ago and since then I have been unable to get the audio feed from NB3.0 into the surround speakers via the audio receiver (Pioneer VSX 821).

This was never an issue with the NB2.0 and it was using the exact same setup since 2012 - all I did was disconnect it from its HDMI and connect NB3.0 in its place. No original settings on the receiver or the TV were changed.

Troubleshooting steps that I have followed so far -
1. Rebooted the NB3.0 3 times
2. Replaced the HDMI cable connecting the NB to the receiver
3. Ensured that the TV, NB and the receiver is not on mute
4. Reviewed the HDMI setup as per the Pioneer manual. Called Pioneer tech support to confirm if there was a problem with the receiver.
5. They asked me to connect my PS3 to the same HDMI port to test if the sound came out of the surround speakers. It did, so I repeated the same test with the other 3 HDMI IN ports using the PS3. All ports worked - the sound from PS3 can be heard on the surround speakers.
6. Then I did the exact same test with NB3.0 - it does not work with any of the ports. At this point I decided to call the Rogers Tech Support. They asked me to connect the NB3.0 directly to the TV. This time the sound came out of the TV speakers so they advised me to contact Pioneer. I described the steps that I followed on #5 but there was nothing much they could do.

Hopefully, someone on this forum has faced this issue and can help me resolve it.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 audio feed not available

Hi @fdfddfddfd

Have you tried going in to Settings, Audio and then under the Audio Output try switching and using the alternative choice to the type you've been using:  If it's currently Other, try Dolby Digital, and if it's currently Dolby Digital - try other.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the quick response. I tried that too. By default it is set to Dolby Digital, so I switched it to Other, nothing happened, so turned it back to Dolby Digital.

Forgot to mention the Video output from the receiver is working fine. It is set to 1080p on the NB3.0 and the picture is as crisp as it can get.

It's not likely to solve the problem, but you might want to try using the 1080i setting for a few minutes.  (The 1080p setting was unreliable up until some months ago - so much so that it was recommended not to use it.)

And you might want to try buying a new 'High Speed' HDMI cable.  This, again, is not a high probability to fix the problem, but one place to be sure you're getting the most capable HDMI cable is to go to Canada Computers and buy their version of the HDMI cables that are rated as High Speed, and specifically noted on the description as HDMI 2.0, and good for up to 4K.

And you may also try using the shortest possible HDMI cable.  If you're using 6 ft long cables now - try 3 ft long.  I know that about 6 years ago I was having a terrible time with my HDMI cables.  I think back then I was using the SA 8300 PVR - but running my PVR through a receiver with HDMI was really flaky.  I don't know if the problem was my HDMI cables were HDMI 1.3 or 1.2 cable or less.

But I would try buying a couple of HDMI cables that are as short as possible - and depending on your setup - pick up two 3 foot cables, so that you're just running 3 ft from PVR to Receiver, and 3 ft from Receiver to TV (if possible).

And you've probably already tried this - but changing the order that you turn on components may solve some problems - although it doesn't sound from your description that this is the problem in this case.

Good luck.

And if none of this is working, have you tried connecting the HDMI cable to a different HDMI port on your TV?

If you have more than one HDMI input on your TV - one of them will be marked as HDMI ARC - which, (and I'm not expert on this), but I believe means Audio Return Channel, and lets sound travel back from your TV to the Receiver.)

And if all that doesn't work - does your Receiver have an optical audio input?  If so, you could try running an optical audio cable from your PVR to the receiver and getting sound that way.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@fdfddfddfd wrote:

Forgot to mention the Video output from the receiver is working fine. It is set to 1080p on the NB3.0 and the picture is as crisp as it can get.

I think I remember this from when the NB3 was introduced. Rogers broadcasts are 1080i and setting the box to 1080p causes problems.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct, that was an issue at release.  I beleive it was fixed though.

ANY of the other things that i could think of in this case.. again were all OLD issues, which were resolved.

There was issues with HDMI-CEC, etc way back when it came out.. but was all fixed.