Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Just called Tech Support for the first time with this issue of audio drop during recording playback - without any hesitation, they said "you'll need to replace your netbox 3.0". I've only had it since December! Not sure if the implication is there has been a revision to the h/w or note. Hoping it resolves this issue!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

unless the person on the phone delves deeper, etc.. they may not get this information that the others have provided here.. they are likely just going off the regular support script.. which says to SWAP the box.

I would not bother with it.. wont change anything and is more of a hastle.

Best you can do to help narrow/reduce it till a fix is provided.

Make sure your on 1080i and not 1080p

Can try changing the audio settings away from the default.
Some people find a daily reboot (say overnight before bed) and its clear for another day.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the reply, GDkitty - You're right about the hassle, as I would have to watch everything I've already recorded or face a 'tough audience' at home, if you know what I mean... I'll try the suggestions, and continue to monitor this thread as it seems to be spirited, and up to date!

cheers

I Plan to Stick Around

I spoke to senior tech at Rogers again. It has been over a month since I last called. Explained that situation with audio drops, crack, pops, etc has not changed and I am still waiting for fix.  He admitted to problem and stated that it is software related(which we know) and they are waiting for Cisco to fix. He did not have a date as to when the new software would be ready.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry if this was already asked.

If I was to dedicate my Nextbox PVR strictly as a server and use a Nextbox HD Terminal over Whole Home to connect to my AVR/TV, will this fix the audio drop out issue?

I Plan to Stick Around

yes, from my experience that will work. I have also put my PVR in a room that I rarely watch TV.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, that should work, as its just a playback hardware/software issue on that box alone.

Only thing is you will get a LITTLE bit of lag compared to using the box directly.

I Plan to Stick Around

Another thing you'll lose is the ability to pause/ff/rew live television.  But if getting rid of the audio issue means more than having the lag/losing the ability to "action" live tv, then it's a solution that'll work.

I've thought about doing that but am hopeful Cisco will get a fix issued soon.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've never used the whole home set-up, but wouldn't live TV just be going through the 4642HD, instead of through the remote PVR?  I'm trying to decide if it is worth the $50 installation and the cost of the new box to go whole home.  All that just to work around an audio issue that shouldn't be there in the first place.  Any comments on the whole home experience?  Is it worth it?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, live TV, is always through the LOCAL box.. weither the PVR or the 4642, depending on what TV its connected to.

(comparatively to Fibes remote ones, which i beleive use a tuner off the MAIN box)

Other than that.. the main function of the whole home... is that from the 4642, you can do playback of any PVRd content on the other box.. and also set recordings, etc.
The MAIN reasoning behind having the whole home.. is that you dont have to have a seperate PVR for each TV.. and you are not then forced to watch whatever you recorded on that TV specifically.

I had the NB2 & whole home since first day available.  Very rarely any issues.  I haven not had one issue yet with it with the NB3.

Bigest thing is you need to make sure that there is a decent signal between the boxes, as it relys alot on good 2 way communication.

-----

On another form i frequent.. some people have been saying, that while still present.. it seems that the audio drops, have been lessening lately.. maybe a partial fix?

Topic Stats