Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

1080i/Other was actually WORSE for me than 720p/Other. 

I'd definitely be interested in seeing what the engineering fix was because dealing with Rogers Customer dis-Service is extremely painful.

I'm an Advisor

mousetamer:

It's really "big" of Rogers to acknowledge there's actually a problem. It's only taken them 6 months. Acknowledgement is at least a good start. Taking meaningful action is another matter altogether. I predicted months ago that this issue will take several months to address. Unfortunately, so far I'm right.

As far as setting video to 1080i and audio to other is concerned, whoever thinks it will solve anything is dreaming. Every permutation and combination of video and audio settings have been tried by me and lots of other posters on this forum, Nothing has eliminated the audio drop out problem. I have done the settings direct to my TV and through my AVR. Both have the same issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

I never had the problem at all when I went through my TV. At least not that I noticed.

It's too bad the person that posted and Engineer fix did not give more information. I can't waste another hour talking to Rogers about this. As mentioned, for me, the Other setting and Narrow seems to fix 95% of the loss. Still get the odd "click" or "pop" sound.

Keep something in mind, the other day I had to reboot, and the reboot forced the box to give out the Dolby Digital signal again. When I looked at the settings, it still showed "Other" but my receiver showed it was getting Dolby Digital. I had to switch to Dolby in the setting on the Netbox, save it, go back and switch back to Other and save it and my receiver went back to PCM, where I could choose my own surround setting. So any reboot of the box will likely send it back to Dolby.

I'm surprised this does not work for most people with an AVR.

KC 

I've Been Here Awhile

I wish that there was more that I could tell you. And of course now I kinda wish that I had asked what exactly the "engineer" did or was doing... But would I or any of you really trust the answer that I got anyway? Probably not, right?

Anyway, again : when I told the Tech Support CSR that I had a Netbox 3 that had been doing weird sound stuff, clicking off repeatedly etc, for the past couple weeks, he did not hesitate to say that it is a known issue "let's try something in the Settings" to which I replied that I had already tried lots there including turning Sound to Other. He then said "that's what I was going to suggest, so let me hand this over to my engineer who can fix the problem for you" (he also said that he had checked my signal and that was good so we tried everything possible before handing if off to the engineer). I have absolutely no idea what the "engineer" could have done, but I can confirm that the problem is still "fixed" for me.

I'm an Advisor

KCinToronto:

There's a couple of menu bugs like the one you mentioned. After a reboot, not only does Other go back to Dolby Digital, Narrow goes back to Normal. In both cases, the menu options still show Other and Narrow despite the fact they're not. That was my experience while I had the NB 3, which I returned a few months ago.

The number of bugs in the NB 3 is outrageous. You'd think no one tested it before releasing it. I created a document with all the bugs I found and, as far as I know, none of them has been fixed. I'm now waiting for a breathless announcement from Rogers about the new and improved NextBox 4.

I've Been Here Awhile

Now if only someone can engineer me a fix for how brutally SLOW this pig is at doing just about everything, I might start to actually like my Netbox! 

I Plan to Stick Around

I originally found it to be really fast and smooth compared to the old box. I do find being able to tape many shows and not use the time shift as often is a real benefit.

But now I find the speed to be inconsistent. Sometimes a simple guide clic will take 3-4 seconds before it opens. Other times it is instant.

I'll try another call to Rogers soon, just hoping their may be a fix of some sort. I hope yours is fixed but I suspect he just rebooted and it will seem fixed but may not be. Kindred, what are your Audio settings now that are working?

Can someone tell me what the difference is for NARROW or NORMAL? What do you think it should be at for audio setting?

And what is this thing actually updating most nights at 2:00 AM?

KC

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Updating the guide, most likely.  Grabing the next day forwards worth of stuff.

I'm an Advisor

KCinToronto:

The audio difference between normal and narrow seems only to affect volume. Narrow is much louder than normal, otherwise, I don't notice any difference. The reason I recognized the box went back to normal after a reboot was the volume difference. I eventually just left it set at normal to avoid the problem.

I've Been Here Awhile

My current sound settings: Dolby Digital, Wide, Variable, English, Disabled.

Topic Stats