Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

@square

The 9865 model, at the release of the NB3, was maybe only 3-5 months old at that point, from Cisco.  They had just released it.

The 9800 series CAN be a satalite box, as well as a cable box.. depending on the setup.
That series, by default, from all documentation in the US, they only have 6 tuners by default (as 6 is the max that US providers can do, with cablecard, what they use for encryption).

The rogers one, has 8 tuners in them, so is actually a custom unit.

I'm an Advisor

Square:

I had 2 NB 3's. The first one was perfect (no scratches, etc.). The second one was scratched and looked terrible. Both boxes were shrink wrapped when I picked them up.

I still have the box the 8300 came in. It's also got a nice carrying handle, which is a bonus.

I Plan to Stick Around

Decided to try picking up another HDMI cable with Ethernet from The Source to see if it helped; same audio drops are happening with no difference.  Might try the Canada Computers cable at some point.

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers service visit verified signal strength. Bypassed AVR, linking Next Box 3 to TV with High Speed + Ethernet HDMI. Audio dropouts continue as they have been for months.
I've Been Here Awhile

Rebooting the Next Box 3 solves the problem for a while. So its not:

-incoming signal strength
-wiring, cables, sunspots or luck
-AVR's, TV's, wifi, finger problems

The problem is inside the Rogers/Cisco Next Box 3 and there is nothing any Rogers customers can do to fix it. Rogers? Cisco? Anyone there?
I've Been Here Awhile

I just signed up to share my experience with this sound issue on my Netbox 3.0... I wish that I had found the following info before spending as much time and money as I have trying to solve the issue... 

Can't hurt to try the Sound settings change, and the reboots, etc... and even swapping out HDMI cables if you have some lying around or could make use of new ones... but before you go spending any extra dough or wasting any extra time or stress on the problem, give Rogers a call... I tried all the little tricks - changing Sound to Other, buying a new HDMI with Ethernet from a local store, then ordering a couple from Canada Computers even... and of course repeated reboots, other options changes and other cable and input/output and equipment swapping... none of it mattered much if at all. 

Called Rogers tech support, they knew all about the issue, they recommended the Sound setting switch but once hearing that I'd already tried that they escalated it up to their 'engineer' and it was fixed quickly and hopefully once and for all, without me being able to (or having to) do anything on my end. 

The sound issue that i had been having was almost-constant 'clicking', loss of sound for split-second bits over and over repeatedly.. it would come and go, sometimes pretty bearable while other times making tv totally unwatchable and intensely irritating. Happened through hdmi and old-school RCA output, into AVR or direct to Samsung 60" Plasma, none of that seemed to matter, it was all in the box.

Hope that helps at least someone. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Please tell us what they said the "Engineer" did? I've tried calling, they played dumb, like they new nothing about it.

I changed to Other and Narrow and let my AVR do the surround. I have not had an audio drop since. I do get the "clicking" sound mainly watching anything with music content. American Idol is brutal.

If you have any other information what Rogers actually did might give me something more to tell them when calling.

Thanks,

KC

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I'm curious about this engineer fix too. More details would be helpful if you have them.
I Plan to Stick Around

KCinToronto wrote:

Please tell us what they said the "Engineer" did? I've tried calling, they played dumb, like they new nothing about it.

I changed to Other and Narrow and let my AVR do the surround. I have not had an audio drop since. I do get the "clicking" sound mainly watching anything with music content. American Idol is brutal.

If you have any other information what Rogers actually did might give me something more to tell them when calling.

Thanks,

KC

Rogers always plays dumb with respect to issues like these, because they are dumb. The CSRs are not properly informed of issues and therefore always come up with lines like this. Keep in mind though that Rogers is raising your prices and perhaps with the increased revenue, they can finally fix these kind of issues!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Just read on digital home that there is possible temporary fix for those without an avr. Set appearance to 1080i and audio to other. The post also says that Rogers is acknowledging the issue and that the CSRs have been sent a letter with the above instructions. 

Topic Stats