Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Mike1843:

Interestingly, I had lots of audio trouble with CTV HD (channel 8 or 518) as well. I always recorded the 6PM news and never watched it live, though.

I'm very interested in your findings regarding the HDMI cable. Despite its glitches, I really like the NB 3, but returned it because of the audio issues. If your solution proves to be the fix, I might decide to get another one. Right now I have an almost 10 year old 8300HD PVR with a dead hard drive. I have ordered a new one. and should receive it early next week.

I Plan to Stick Around

Have there been any progress on if those ethernet HDMI Cables are still working?

I just bought my first receiver and I've brought 2 back. Started with a Pioneer and then a Yamaha. Both are experiencing ridiculous audio drops. When I called Rogers yesterday, they did not acknowledge knowing about a problem at all, but apparently my signal strength is questionable. Sending a tech out tomrorrow. But from what I am reading, this is not likely the real problem.

From what I've seen, on my AVR the signal drops, most lights on my AVR go out for a second, and then comes back. Sometime when it comes back it somehow switched itself to PCM. But sill shows Dolby in the Netbox settings.

I did switch the Audio setting to NARROW based on a response here, but left the Dolby setting. So far few if any audio drops. Most of the severe drops I have noticed are with taped shows rather than live TV. 90% of what we watch is taped.

Is there any consistency with brand of AVR? I'm still in that window to return it and swap it out. Might just have to get a soundbar.

If Rogers won't take this seriously, I might just have to look into Bell. (but I hate Bell)

Hoping we come to a solution soon, and I'll report back about the tech and the NARROW setting if it really helped. May take a couple of days.

Kevin

I've Been Around

Mike1843 wrote:

**** UPDATE – trial and error solution ****

...My solution was cheap too.  $9.99 for a iCan HDMI 6ft High-speed with Ethernet cable from Canada Computers.

I’ll repost if issues returns but so far so good. If others have HDMI cables with Ethernet, try placing between Nextbox and AVR to see if issues go away also. (I don’t believe it matters from AVR to TV but no harm in making all cables in the chain the same)

MIKE1843 IS DA MAN!!

Was all but TOO READY to shove the Next Box 3.0 back into the arms of the Rogers Store "I dunno, mine's workin' fine" guy, but on a lark, I tried your (Mike1843's) solution and it worked!  How on earth did you conclude it might be an inferior (LAN-less pins) HDMI cable?  

Have run the box for 2.5 days now with no dropouts whatsoever. It was so bad on our device, we found ourselves rebooting it every night before it did its recordings - and that wasn't even working anymore.  

Anyhow - a $10 buck solution to an annoying problem.  Wow.  Thanks Mike!

I Plan to Stick Around

I had mine hooked up with HDMI Ethernet cables but it was still dropping audio. I may try it again but for now I used the other suggestion setting the STB to Audio "Other" (not Dolby) and using my AVR to take care of the surround. (Prologic Movie II, I believe on my Yamaha) So far no drops but the sound is somewhat off for some content.

I'm very new to having an AVR, so trying to tweak the sound. 

FYI- When I called Rogers a few days ago they said my signal was weak. Sent a tech, I had some guy with the worst breath I have ever smelt come in to tell me nothing wrong with the signal but the boxes software is having alot of problems. He did nothing. The person I talked to at Rogers said they were unaware of a problem. So why would the contracted company know about it but Rogers not be aware.

I've been looking into Fibe and may go that route. Everything is with Rogers now, so the change will be a pain for me to do. We'll see. The Netbox 3.0 was a great idea. Too bad they obviously rushed it out.

Any other findings would be interesting if the cables work for people.

KC

I Plan to Stick Around

martinbarret wrote:

Mike1843 wrote:

**** UPDATE – trial and error solution ****

...My solution was cheap too.  $9.99 for a iCan HDMI 6ft High-speed with Ethernet cable from Canada Computers.

I’ll repost if issues returns but so far so good. If others have HDMI cables with Ethernet, try placing between Nextbox and AVR to see if issues go away also. (I don’t believe it matters from AVR to TV but no harm in making all cables in the chain the same)

MIKE1843 IS DA MAN!!

Was all but TOO READY to shove the Next Box 3.0 back into the arms of the Rogers Store "I dunno, mine's workin' fine" guy, but on a lark, I tried your (Mike1843's) solution and it worked!  How on earth did you conclude it might be an inferior (LAN-less pins) HDMI cable?  

Have run the box for 2.5 days now with no dropouts whatsoever. It was so bad on our device, we found ourselves rebooting it every night before it did its recordings - and that wasn't even working anymore.  

Anyhow - a $10 buck solution to an annoying problem.  Wow.  Thanks Mike!

Ditto!  We picked up the suggested cable and so far so good here too!  Sound was dropping badly just days before, but of course the day we got it and installed it (Monday?) the sound had been working fine all day (figures) so couldn't tell a difference for sure... but since then so far no dropouts.  Fingers crossed, time will tell.  Awesome if that is the fix, thanks Mike!  

I've Been Here Awhile

Glad to here some other Nextbox 3 users are having the same results I’ve had by changing the cable. I’ve had great results since switching out mine. I noticed 2 audio drops on a HD recording yesterday (rewind to audio glitch and no drop so not in recording). Live TV has yet to produce an audio drop since the cable replacement. Like “night and day” improvement from a few weeks ago. I too was about to return the Nextbox.

Most HDMI cables are all from a few cable manufacturers and branded by the seller. Most have the same product code / serial number stamped on the cable but to cut down on costs so not all pins are connected. Some standard HDMI cables perform the same as High Speed cables even though it’s stamped as just regular HDMI. I’ve tried playing a 3D Blu-Ray using a standard non-high speed HDMI cable and it displays perfectly fine. Cable performed as a High Speed HDMI cable. Standard HDMI cables are rated to support up to 1080i resolution with at least 2.25Gbps bandwidth but in most cases will handle 1080P with no issues that requires at least 10.2Gbps bandwidth. Probably the reason why not all Nextbox users have issues as the cable is just “good” enough to correct the issue.

Since everyone who has issues with audio drops are running different AVR’s then I assume that this can’t be the cause. Some Rogers customers have exchanged their Nextbox 3 with a new unit and still same audio drops occur while others have no issues what-so-ever. I’m assuming that placing a High Speed HDMI with Ethernet between the Nextbox and AVR/TV corrects some kind of grounding issue inside the Nextbox. Some are reporting same audio drops when using component connection plus optical and I believe this is still due to HDMI port on Nextbox still active and not getting proper ground.

HDMI cables will work with all types of equipment 99% of the time...except for CISCO devices it seems! I'm not kidding; check other forums for other cable carriers that use Cisco Set Top Boxes and all have customers complaining about the audio drops over HDMI regardless of Cisco STB model. Alot of posts are years old and no resolution.

No harm in swapping out cable. It may take a few test cables to find one that corrects the issue as it appears that Cisco STB’s are very picky.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I'm curious if these audio drops are also related to the popping noises I keep hearing on certain channels and recordings. This was not happening with the 8642 I just replaced. I also don't get it on an old 8300. I changed the HDMI cable, but that made no difference. Is this an issue with NB3?

I've Been Around

My audiohas 'sound drops' or  'hiccups' every so often while watching TV.

I have:

- rebooted the Model 9865HD PVR Cable Box numerous times

- have replaced HDMI cable between the PVR Cable Box and the TV

- have connected different TV's to the PVR Cable Box

but the problem continues.Smiley Sad

Any suggestions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are TWO seperate audio issues with the NB3

There is the 5.1 to 2.0 PCM audio change.  Whis isnt a drop per say.. it just changes mode.  Assuming you using a surround sound, etc.. you usually can notices the change, as it tends to get louder in the PCM mode, etc.. but it doesnt drop.

There are some, which report full out audio and/or video drops, often seems to be more with playback/rod, not live.

The 5.1 drop, there isnt much that can be done till they fix it.. I myself have experienced this one.

As for the other drop.. i have never experienced it.
That one.. i wonder if any of those people are on 1080p.. seems that the video drops tend to pop up when in that mode.

I've Been Here Awhile

Just got a Nextbox 3.0.  No instructions, nothing given to me!!  I will learn though.

Have been reading about dreaded audio drops.  Enjoyed my NB 3 for two days with crystal clear sound.  Then on Saturday I started getting tiny audio drops.  By Sunday I could not watch 60 Minutes because of the frequency of the drops.

Said to myself this feels like something (charge) accumulating because it is getting worse and worse.  Maybe I should reboot.

Worked like a charm.  Crystal clear sound on all channels again.  Can't explain it but it worked.

Topic Stats