Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Jimp:

Thanks for posting that. Now that Rogers has accepted there's an audio problem, maybe there's some cause for hope that it will be fixed. I was one of the first people who experienced this and have posted here in many different threads. I got the NB 3 the day it came out and had audio drop out problems from day one. I also swapped the box once, but that didn't help. I couldn’t find any evidence of a signal problem in the service menu either. Its signal readings were all in a normal range according to a Cisco manual that explains how to interpret the service menu information. I have a 8300HD PVR which never has this issue, plus it works with ARC, which the NB 3 does not. There are several problems with this box, and they're all documented in these forums. I also have documented all the issues I found with the box.

If I were with Rogers, and in a position to do so, I'd be closely examining all the complaints in this forum. There's a lot of very knowledgeable people here and they should be taken seriously. If Rogers can get the audio problems resolved, I would be willing to try another one. I actually like the NB 3 features, but it has to deliver acceptable performance. I'm guessing it's going to take a long time before most of the known issues are resolved. I’d be happy if they just fix audio drop outs. I can live with its other quirks.

I've Been Here Awhile

I rebooted my system about an hour after my last post.  The recording which I had to stop watching because of the SIGNIFICANT audio loss and clipping totally disappeared after the reboot.  This SEEMS to tell me that signal strength is not an issue.  The program would have been recorded at the original signal strength at the time of recording.  A reboot is not going to change the signal strength of an already recorded program - or at least I do not see how that would be possible!  I could only guess as to what the problem is and why a reboot solved mine.  I wonder how long it will stay solved...maybe the next box will be the Nextbox 4.0...

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, I posted in the other thread mentioned that rebooting should fix the problem.  Unfortunately it may or may not last very long till it starts again. You may have to keep rebooting now and then.

I find it comes in waves.  Audio dropout for days or weeks, then completely fine for a while.  For the past week(s) the dropouts have been something awful, really bad constant dropouts and even complete lack of sound at times (this was a new one), rebooting several times a day just to be able to watch tv for a little while.  Of course, if you're recording something important you can't reboot and can't watch tv.  Totally unacceptable!   But I noticed in the past couple days or so it is completely fine, no problem with sound for me right now. 

I'm so glad to read here that Rogers has finally acknowledged the problem at least.

Thanks.

I've Been Here Awhile

I also read in these forums that Rogers has acknowledged these difficulties but I fail to have seen the actual acknowledgment by a Rogers employee.  Where is the post or article that specifically states Rogers has acknowledged these audio drop outs, lack of sound, speaker crackling, etc?  Where?

You'd think that a billion dollar corporation might actually offer some real assistance by participating in these forums.  The people at the Rogers Store SEEM to be totally unaware that this problem exists - at least that is what Robert (mgr) at the Courtice location has told me.

I Plan to Stick Around

I had the idea to forward the other thread about it to Rogers and suggest they read it, but I couldn't find an email to send it to.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

mellontes wrote:

I also read in these forums that Rogers has acknowledged these difficulties but I fail to have seen the actual acknowledgment by a Rogers employee.  Where is the post or article that specifically states Rogers has acknowledged these audio drop outs, lack of sound, speaker crackling, etc?  Where?

You'd think that a billion dollar corporation might actually offer some real assistance by participating in these forums.  The people at the Rogers Store SEEM to be totally unaware that this problem exists - at least that is what Robert (mgr) at the Courtice location has told me.

These forums are desgined as a USER to USER help forum, etc.. they are not designed TO have someone monitoring them at the moment.
Thats not to say that they SHOULD.   I am trying via the ideabox to get them to implement a proper BUG FORUM to properly report these things and that they can be forwarded/monitored properly.

As for the acknoledgement.. it was not in THIS thread, but another one which has a large number of posts about the audio drop... RogersElise said she has forwarded the information internally.

Thats not acknoledgement FROM say an engineer, etc who would be fixing it.. but at least that it hopefully has been passed ONTO one of them to be looked at.

I've Been Here Awhile

I get the same issues that many users here are experiencing with the Nextbox 3.0 (Cisco 9865).  Audio drops out and intermittent split second black screens. Doesn’t matter if watching live or recorded content – occurs equally on both and regardless if content is HD with Dolby and Nextbox is set to output 1080P, 1080i or 720P.

Two weeks ago a Rogers Service Tech checked my incoming signal and everything tested fine.

From my observation I don’t believe it’s all audio(Dolby processing) related. I’ve tried Nextbox to AVR to TV and Nextbox straight to TV and using HDMI with different hi-speed cables the audio still drops and the black screens still occurs.

What I’ve noticed is that every time there is an audio drop or black screen, in the diagnostics screen on the Nexbox  the “Vide Sync Error” changes value.  When this value remains constant the audio and video is flawless.

When the Nextbox is set to output “other”  in the audio output settings the glitch occurs but I don’t hear the audio drop as often but it still occurs but just not as noticible since it's only 2 channel stereo output.  If Nextbox is set to “Dolby” then every time the value changes I hear the audio drop regardless if connected to the AVR or straight to the TV.

This audio glitch goes back to Cisco 8000 series boxes so it’s an ongoing issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wonder if the blank screen thing is a cec handshake type issue.
I have had the 9865 with not a single blank screen, but I am running it through an avr, but with cec disabled, so if it was sending anything out of the ordinary it wouldn't do anything.

I've Been Around

I just recently moved into my new home with my NB3.0 and I am having the same audio drop-out issues on recorded tv. My setup is NB3.0 connected to a Samsung Blu-Ray surround sound system via HDMI cables, which is then connected to my Samsung 50" tv via HDMI cables. Everytime I watch recorded shows on this set-up I get periodic audio drops. Prior to moving into this house, I was with my in-laws with MY NB3.0 connected to their cable lines and then connected to the same Samsung TV via the same HDMI cables. The difference between the two situations was the inclusion of an AVR system at the present moment. I have a few recorded programs from my previous set-up and get the audio drop-outs issues with the AVR. When I had the NB2.0 connected with the AVR system I had no issues what so ever. I hope this can be resolved because I definitely want the 8 recordings, but if the drop out still persists, I have no choice but to modify my setup. I do also have a NB HD terminal which has no audio issues with recordings.

I've Been Here Awhile

**** UPDATE – trial and error solution ****

Not sure if the issue is caused by CEC or not. It was always disabled on the TV and the AVR in my setup. Could be the Nextbox being very “picky” on HDCP handshake to the AVR.

About 10 days ago the audio drops were unbearable. No intermittent black screens this time - just complete loss of audio for a second. Drop is so quick that the AVR didn’t register the change from Dolby to PCM. For some strange reason some channels were affected more than others. HDCTV on channel 8 was the worst with complete audio loss every 10 to 15 seconds.

As of right now I’ve been running Nextbox  3 with Dolby enabled to AVR with no audio drops anymore and it all came down to HDMI cable.  I replaced HDMI cable from the Nextbox to the AVR at least 3 times in the past to test cables but all resulted in the same issues. All cables were rated HDMI High-speed so they all met the HDMI 1.4 spec and all worked between other devices and AVR.  Last test I took the cable that ran from my 3D Blu-ray player to the AVR and problem went away. Even checking the diagnostic screen on the Nextbox, when the “Vide Sync Error” changed there was no audio drop anymore. (With other cables every time this value changed there was an audio drop). This cable is a HDMI High-speed with Ethernet.  Purchased another High-speed with Ethernet cable the next day and tried that between the Nextbox and AVR and still no audio drops.

As far as I know the Nextbox doesn’t have HEC (HDMI Ethernet Channel) support but maybe with HDMI cables with Ethernet it provides just enough extra grounding since pins 14, 19 and 17 are used. The cable that runs from the AVR to the TV was already HDMI High-speed with Ethernet so that cable didn’t need to be replaced.

My solution was cheap too.  $9.99 for a iCan HDMI 6ft High-speed with Ethernet cable from Canada Computers.

I’ll repost if issues returns but so far so good. If others have HDMI cables with Ethernet, try placing between Nextbox and AVR to see if issues go away also. (I don’t believe it matters from AVR to TV but no harm in making all cables in the chain the same)

Topic Stats