Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nomullies
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Just tried it and volume varies. So a no go.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nomullies : Would you please clarify/elaborate on what you mean?  Does the volume vary from channel to channel, or does it go up/down unexpectedly while watching the same channel/programme?

nomullies
I Plan to Stick Around

Varies by channel. Significantly.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The audio signal can certainly vary from channel to channel.  I guess it depends on which channels you watch as to how bothersome this can be.  Some channels are DD5.1 while others are DD2.0 and this can have some effect. Other channel volumes are simply different.  For example, I watch City news (519) at 11PM and Global (517) or CTV (518) switching back and forth sometimes depending on what news item is on.  City is louder than Global or CTV and Global is DD2.0.  

I doubt that Rogers will do much about this since they're trying to migrate everyone to Ignite. I'm not sure if the same thing happens on Ignite.  I'm still on Digital Cable like you with a 9865 (NB3).

Edit - If you haven't already, do a reboot of the box when it's not set to record.

nomullies
I Plan to Stick Around

Lol the box reboots on its own weekly. I still have the volume issue now just not as pronounced.
lawson1
I Plan to Stick Around

Everything was working fine - sound was always a nice 5.1 DD on every channel. Now some channels have dropped to 2.1 and vary in loudness. Sometime they even show as not available. I know enough about to tech to reasonably know this is nothing to do the with the box. I've spoken to four people at Rogers and they all have different answers and suggest different settings and changing the box. I have to imagine this has something to do with the signal. 

I thought I was going crazy, until I searched in the forum and finally found I am not alone with this issue. 

Has anyone actually gotten a fix to this situation? I'm slowly going crazy.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lawson1 : Here are a few comments:

1. Check out post 134 of this thread.

2. A "poor" signal cannot cause a channel to be DD2.0 instead of DD5.1 (I don't recall seeing any DD2.1 channels)

3. As mentioned in post 134 (and other threads in this forum), there are a few channels that used to be DD5.1 and are now DD2.0 (Global, CTV2?, etc.). This happened about a year ago.

4. I have noticed that the volume is variable on Global, which is currently DD2.0.

5. "Not available" may be an indication of signal drop, or a poor return signal from your box to the node. Check out:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

lawson1
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi thanks for the reply,

I actually did check out that post you mentioned, which affirmed my thought it is a signal issue.

My apologies with DD 2.1, it switches between pro logic and 5.1.

Yes I've read Global dropped to 2.0. But up until 2 days ago - all my channels were 5.1. So that I can't explain.

I'm hoping Rogers will address the fact it's nothing to do with my box or needing a reboot.

cheers

lawson1
I Plan to Stick Around

For instance,

Crave channel 550 is 5.1 - the rest of Crave, Starz, and HBO is now 2.0. Was 5.1 before this weirdness. 

I'm pretty sure those should be all be in 5.1??

Can some verify that? or has someone experienced this?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Good catch. This must be recent.

Crave1 is DD5.1.  The other Craves and HBO are actually two-channel PCM.  I don't get Starz, but I assume it would be the same.

I checked a few more channels and it appears to be affecting several movie channels.  TCMHD, Hollywood Suite Channels, SuperChannel. Are all PCM 2Ch instead of DD5.1.

None of these channels should be 2CH PCM.  Something is definitely amiss here. I checked a few other "regular" HD channels and they were the proper DD5.1 (ABC, CBS), or DD2.0 (like CP24).

@CommunityHelps : Please correct this situation.