Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

I thought the 1080p issue was a video issue, not an audio one. Speaking of which, I'd very much like to see them get to work on that.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From the people that were reporting issues with it.. it was both.. i think it was just with it set at 1080p, the whole hdmi output was cutting in and out.

On another forum, another user mentioned that he had changed it back to 1080p and hasnt had an issue... i have not tested it myself.

A) since no content is broadcast at higher than 1080i currently.

B) My TV likely has a better upscaling processor in it anyways, to let IT do it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Audio explained?

I'm came to this forum (and google for that matter) for what I assumed was a rather straight forward clarification, but to my surprise I can't find a single thread discussing it.

Basically I'm trying to find help understanding the difference in audio options for my nextbox 3.0

Specifically

1. What's the difference between Audio range Normal, Narrow and Wide, and when to use each? I noticed a volume drop/lowering when switching to wide so I didn't get to far in testing.  I asked tech support about this and he told me just to stick with Narrow to avoid the volume drop <- not really the specifics I had hoped for.
  2. What's the difference between Audio out Dolby Digital vs Other.  I saw some suggestion that 'other' supports some more complex setups, but nothing really detailed.

In a nutshell I just upgraded my AV receiver to a 7.1 channel unit and I want to make sure I getting the most of it.

Can anyone shed any light here?  There's gotta be an audiophile out there somewhere!

I'm an Advisor

@dayzed007 wrote:

Audio explained?

I'm came to this forum (and google for that matter) for what I assumed was a rather straight forward clarification, but to my surprise I can't find a single thread discussing it.

Basically I'm trying to find help understanding the difference in audio options for my nextbox 3.0

Specifically

1. What's the difference between Audio range Normal, Narrow and Wide, and when to use each? I noticed a volume drop/lowering when switching to wide so I didn't get to far in testing.  I asked tech support about this and he told me just to stick with Narrow to avoid the volume drop <- not really the specifics I had hoped for.
  2. What's the difference between Audio out Dolby Digital vs Other.  I saw some suggestion that 'other' supports some more complex setups, but nothing really detailed.

In a nutshell I just upgraded my AV receiver to a 7.1 channel unit and I want to make sure I getting the most of it.

Can anyone shed any light here?  There's gotta be an audiophile out there somewhere!

@dayzed007

I had a NB 3 long ago, but returned it because I was getting consistent audio drop outs and went back to my SA8300HD PVR. My memory is a little rusty, but here's a link which you might find helpful, which is specific to the NB 3. It is a couple of years old, though, so things may have changed. At least, it discusses the difference between Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2 channel PCM, plus there's some reference to audio range. When I had the NB 3, it would constantly drop from Dolby Digital 5.1 to 2 channel PCM and I had to reboot the box to get Dolby Digital 5.1 back. I have a Denon AVR, which shows the audio input type on the front panel.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/197129-nextbox-3-0-cisco-9865-s...

I've Been Around

I have a Nextbox 9865HD and the audio will cut out randomly while watching TV and the only way to fix it is to pause, rewind and play again. Any ideas why this is happening?

I Plan to Stick Around

For me, the dropouts are part of the broadcast and actually get recorded on the PVR.  I can rewind and play the drop out.  In the diagnostics (Digital Video Status), I notice that the 'A/V Disc' counter increments every time there is an audio dropout.  Does anyone know what an 'A/V Disc' is and how to get it to stop?  I get at least 10 dropout events an hour.  Very annoying making it impossible to enjoy TV.  I've basically given up on regular cable TV and have started getting my content through other methods.    

I Plan to Stick Around

HDMI audio problem

I have a NEXTBOX PVR (CAV10455HD) connected to an RCA TV via HDMI. When I turn on the receiver and TV initially there is no audio - just video. In order to get audio I have to unplug and then reinsert the HDMI cable at the TV end. This consistently works and once audio appears it never drops out. Any ideas?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KerryForest :  Sometimes the order that you turn things on matters. Have you tried turning on the TV, waiting a few seconds, then turning on the STB?  Or vice versa?  Also, check to ensure the firmware on your TV has been updated to the latest.  One other option is sometimes to simply change the channel on the STB and you'll get audio because this invokes another "handshake" between the STB and TV.

Also, try going into the settings of the STB for audio and select "other" instead of "DD" or vice versa.  (Settings - Audio)

I've Been Here Awhile

All of a sudden I've just developed the same issue as @KerryForest on my NB3.  It was working fine for well over 2 years with the default of DD set under audio.  Nothing has changed in the setup and I've even tried replacing the cabling as a test.  The issue would reoccur every night Rogers reboots the boxes.  

I've found that flipping between DD and other resolves the issue until next reboot. 

I'm a Regular

No idea if this is even a remotely similar problem, but about three days ago I noticed the sound is suddenly lower on some channels than on others. Normally I set the volume at 14 or 15 and everything would sound fine. Now I have to raise the volume to 19 or 20 depending on which channels I'm watching. For instance, at 15 the following channels are good: 3 (Global), 7(City), 8, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 24, 28, 30, 31, 33, etc. The volume has to be turned up if I switch to: 2(TVO), 6(CBC), 11, 19, 21, 23, 25, 29, 34, 35, 36, etc.

Anyone else getting this? Is it the Cisco Nextbox 3.0? This just started happening about three days ago and I've changed nothing.

Topic Stats