Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

HI,

I recently switched from 8642 to Nextbox 3.0 PVR.

Since the switch my recorded shows during playback experienced audio drop out.  Problem has existed recording a variety of channels.

Rogers sent tech out and didn't have any suggestions so he switched out with a new box.

I watched a show last night and also recorded.  While watching live the audio was fine, but when I played the recording the audio drop outs were there?

Not sure where to go as Rogers does not seem to have an answer.

Thanks

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3.0 audio drop

Are you running this through a surround sound or soundbar?

I Plan to Stick Around

yes, optical audio out to AVR.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, yeah, its what i thought then.  (if it wasnt into an AVR, it would be a different issue likely)

While not all, there is a large number of people, having an issue with the 5.1 droping on the NB3.
Most people their AVR switches down to 2.0PCM, but not all AVRs may do this.

Try taking a look through this thread:
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

There are a number of users posting about it.   While not fixed it, some of them have changed a few settings, which have seemed to at least LESSEN the amount of times it happens.

No fix at the moment for it Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for the thread.

I thought I only had drops on recordings but last night had audio drops watching live.

so reading quickly through thread it is likely a signal strength issue on some channels and how the nextbox handles audio out? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Verdict is not out yes on the signal strength part.

My signal strength is fine, and i dont really seem to have it.. but others have said, that their is fine as well, and still have it.

Having a tech out, to check everything, might not be a bad idea in the long run anyways.. but may not fix it.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have appt this Saturday for Rogers tech to check, but last guy said signal was good although he didn't really seem to know too much when I asked questions. I asked for a different guy this time and I hope I get a good tech as it can make a difference.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

a more knoedgeable one would know more, more on the more detailed signal strength levels, etc.

Take a look at.. in that thread.. i beleive Jimbodens replies, having had tried a few other thinks like changing the aduio settings in the box as well

I'm an Advisor

Jimp:

Please keep us updated after you have been visited by a tech. One thing I've noticed is that signal strengths on different channels can vary a lot. Having said that, when I look in the Service Menu, all my dbmv readings are white, which means they are in a normal range. It would be interesting to find out if a tech can do something about signal strengths at a channel level, which I seriously doubt. I'm guessing they can only deal with signal issues where they enter the premises.

EDIT: Gdkitty and I posted at the same time and I just saw his comment above mine. I've been plagued by audio drop outs since I first got the NB 3 in early August and did one swap along the way. I played around with audio settings and finally found out that setting audio out to Other helped to reduce the number of drop outs. It's still not perfect, but much better. Also, just got a firmware update to 4.0.0.130 and will see if anything is different re: audio. My audio settings right now are: Audio Range Narrow, Audio Out: Other and I'm using HDMI.

I Plan to Stick Around

sure I will report back after tech comes in.

For a fix using Audio out set to Other instead of Dolby, I though that would reduce sound from surround to stereo? 

Topic Stats