Nextbox 3.0 Sound out of Sync

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: Nextbox 3.0 Sound out of Sync

Hello @intcountzero,

Are you using an external sound system such as a home theatre or is the sound just coming from your TV internal speakers? Please tell me the model of your TV. This could also be due to sound settings on your TV or settings related to your home theatre system.

Thanks,

RogersHassam  

I Plan to Stick Around

Audio is a fibre optic cable connected to an external reciever.

Retired Moderator

@intcountzero, are you using an HDMI cable or component cables with your home theatre for the video? If you are using component cables for video along with an optical cable for audio:

- Go to Settings on your Nextbox

- Go to Audio 

- Go to Audio Output

- Change that from Dolby digital to "Other" 

If you would like to use an HDMI cable only for your home theatre, than you have to remove your optical cable because the HDMI would give you audio and video together. 

Please let me know how this goes Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I Plan to Stick Around

I tried switching to other, but no change.

The stereo receiver cannot use HDMI. However this has never been an issue in 12 years with the unit. The audio using optic cable is higher quality anyway than HDMI.

This issue is new, and we started noticing it after a technician was recently at our house trying to sync a NextBox with an HD box uptsairs. 

I am am more inclined to believe that there is probably more of a link here. One thing that I have not tried is rebooting both devices and checking.

Retired Moderator

@intcountzero, An HDMI cable produces more quality audio than an optical cable. You can also find more information regarding the difference between the two here

How do you have the optical cable connected? Is it going straight into the nextbox? I would have the HDMI from the nextbox direct into the TV and then the home theatre should be connected to the TV rather than the Nextbox. Please let me know how your connected. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I Plan to Stick Around

I wonder if you are on to something.  We have an older digital box, but it works fine.  Let me know if your rebooting them both works for you.

Still, after over 2 years with our Rogers Nextbox, our random voice syncing problems continue and as of yet, Rogers has done nothing to resolve the problem. 

No need to travel to the third world, we can get that right here, for a price with Rogers.  We pay them close to $200 per month, yet they still don't care enough about their customers' problems to actually try to resolve them and keep them.

I Plan to Stick Around

Don't he audio has been restored, but my earlier issue on a different thread regarding the filter hardware has come back,mans I can no longer view my PVR content synced to the upstairs HD machine, which makes me believe that this issue, and the audio are connected. It has little to do with my audio hardware which hasn't failed in over 12 years use.

i will be calling tech support tomorrow to pick this up, but I suspect this will require a tecnician to address the original issue.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @intcountzero,

I hope that it is a signal issue that the tech can fix. If not:

I have a NextBox 3 connected to my receiver via HDMI and a NextBox 2 connected to another receiver via Toslink/optical -  and see the same audio sync issue pop up occasionally, but not that often. Try this:

- Does your TV have a GAME mode? If so, try switching to it (temporarily, as a test). Game mode will turn off most picture enhancements and decrease the processing time before images are displayed on your screen (over-processed images take longer to process, and may throw off audio sync over time). Does this help the audio sync issue?

- Does your receiver have special, non-standard decoding modes (my Yamaha has "concert hall", "disco", etc).  Try disabling these sound modes/going to pure/straight audio decoding. Those other modes can introduce echo and excessive latency.

- Does this issue occur if you connect to your receiver using RCA audio (red/white) connectors? While this would only produce stereo audio, it would be an interesting test. 

Also - do these issues occur when your box is recording other content, or does this occur even when things are not being recorded?

I Plan to Stick Around

My issue regarding the sync of my PVR with a HD machine is documented in this post --> http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I will address the audio issue with an on-site tech who will be at my home later today to resolve the above issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

This audio issue happens only when watching PVR content or live cable broadcasts. It does not happen when I watch Internet streamed content, such as Netflix or YouTube using my Xbox (basically anything Internet based is ok).

Audio configuration is as follows:

TV (HDMI) to Rogers Cable Box (HDMI) to Xbox (Optical) to Stereo Reciever.

Given that only cable or PVR cotnent is having the audio problem, and given the connection point is HDMI, this problem I suspect is the rogers content delivery, possibly due to my network or other factors.