Nextbox 3.0 I set it to record a program but when I go to watch it, it's not on the list

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 I set it to record a program but when I go to watch it, it's not on the list

I don't even have Navigatr yet, but I've read enough here to know that what Godsmo is saying, is that while a recording is in process - ALL the tiles in that series disappear - only to show up later when the recording is finished.

This is a MAJOR BUG that Rogers needs to fix.

Godsmo: One workaround to deal with this problem, is (if you know the channel the program is playing on) to go directly to the recording channel, while the program is being recorded - and then you SHOULD be able to rewind to the beginning of the recording - and start watching from there.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 I set it to record a program but when I go to watch it, it's not on the list

@Godsmo @billmcintyre:  I do have Navigatr and I think I can explain the confusion.

First Navigatr behaves differently if the program you are recording is part of a series or is a stand-alone recording, as in a movie.  Second, you have to know that Navigatr does not consider a program to be a recording until it has completed recording.  Until recording has finished, it is considered "Scheduled".  The previous version of the software showed a program as a recording, even while it was recording.

If you are recording a single, scheduled program, then the "tile" for that program will show a red dot to indicate that it is recording.  Because this is still considered "scheduled",  if your list is sorted by "Most Recent" ( the default), then the tile will appear after all completed recordings tiles, and before any tiles for scheduled recordings that do not yet have any episodes recorded.  If you select the tile, you will be given the option to watch the program from the beginning while it is still recording.

Now, if you are recording a program that is part of a series, the recording in progress is considered to be "scheduled", so when you select the tile, you need to go to the "Scheduled" tab, not the "Recorded" tab.  You do this by pressing the up arrow to get to the tabs and then right arrow to get to the scheduled tab.  Once you are on the scheduled tab, press the down arrow, and the first item in the list will be the currently recording program.  It usually has a red dot signifying recording, but I have seen it without the red dot for reasons I have not yet uncovered.  When you highlight the first item in the list, then the Watch button will appear, and you can select it to view the in-progress recording.

At no time do all the tiles disappear for a series, they are just hard to find.  However, when a series episode is recording, the "New" on the tile will disappear until the recording completes, so you don't know how many unwatched episodes there are for that series.

I hope I have been clear enough to resolve this for you. 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Excellent clear explanation rocksandtrees.

What Rogers probably hasn't considered, is that if a person has 150 programs recorded on their PVR - then when the boxes shift around WE CAN'T EASILY FIND the programs we want to watch.
I Plan to Stick Around

The old interface was more intuitive. You would just start watching the show you were recording no matter what stage of recording it was at it started at the beginning and let you skip through the commercials. The new interface forces you to go to the show that's being recorded and then rewind to the beginning. This is not an improvement in my opinion. I imagine the feedback will be quite negative when the great majority of users figure this lovely work around out. Even the Rogers techs on the phone weren't aware of this. I guess I will have to live with it until it's fixed. Thanks for your help
I Plan to Stick Around

By the way where is the "scheduled recordings" menu? I can't find it. I have several shows like the 11 pm news that I record and I can't seem to find that menu.
I'm a Senior Contributor

I have not been able to find an equivalent in Navigatr. You have to find the tile for the news, click it, then navigate to the "Scheduled" tab, and do this for each series you have scheduled.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am a big fan of the theory that if you are 75% happy with something - like software, or user interfaces, or your job, then don't try too hard to improve things in case you screw things up.
I'm an Advisor

@Godsmo wrote:
By the way where is the "scheduled recordings" menu? I can't find it. I have several shows like the 11 pm news that I record and I can't seem to find that menu.

@roxandtreez already went over most of this extermely well. Here is my version anyway since Ialready wrote it.

Welcome to the new and improved PVR software. I call it Navikap.  Smiley Wink

It seems Rogers never heard of multitasking or ease-of-use when it comes to TV watching.

Everything is still more of less there and you can do everything, its just much more difficult and takes a lot longer to get what you want done.

1. Rogers decided it was very important that you can delete a whole series in just two button pushes, so they put both  recorded and scheduled programs together in one tile/box.  One casualty is that there is no such thing as as a scheduled recordings menu.  You can still find scheduled recordings scattered inside the tiles and plus single programs or series that have no recordings are at the end of the pile-of-tiles, many button pushes away.

2. You can watch a program while it is being recorded.  Select it on the guide and rewind to the beginning is one way.

The other is to search down the pile-of-tiles till you find one with a red dot.  Select it and watch it while its still recording.  However if the program is part of a series you are recording, first find the series you are recording, open it and look for the program with the red dot. Select it etc..  

3. As you may have noticed the tiles allow limited text and tiny fonts, so finding what you looking for could be even harder.

Here is a link fix to what is now called the piles-of-tiles problem.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Though rolling back to the old guide is a far better solution, cause IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T....

(It has been pointed out that tiles don't roll, so a roll-back may be quite a challenge.)

I Plan to Stick Around

I would love to just go back in time and have my old navigator back. It worked fine. Now I seriously will take Bell up on their repeated offers to switch. I was happy before all this but now I have had enough.
I'm an Advisor

@Godsmo wrote:
I would love to just go back in time and have my old navigator back. It worked fine. Now I seriously will take Bell up on their repeated offers to switch. I was happy before all this but now I have had enough.

Before you go, please read these words about Rogers President, Guy Laurence, from his Rogers BIO online.

"He is a strong executive who takes decisive action in complex, capital intensive businesses. He is passionate about the customer and this thinking guides his decision-making and his approach to operational excellence."

Mr. Laurence, its high-time to live up to those words !

Your customers are equally passionate about Rogers latest attempt  to cripple their PVRs.