Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

@Dire wrote:

thanks for the quick reply. i haven't called rogers yet,as i was hoping i could resolve this myself. what could cause signal loss? i ask because i already did a quick look around my property inspecting the cable lines both inside and outside my home for wear and tear/corrosion finding nothing.

- Loose connections inside, or outside your home

- Tree branches hitting the lines (if overhead)

- Water infiltration if underground

- Lines pinched/kinked inside the home due to furniture moving

- Problems at the node or head end causing the signal leaving them to be lower than before.

- many other possibilities.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

i found out how to get into the diagnostic menu of the nextbox 3.0, i was told i could find my signal strenght from there. specifically I was told to look for s/n strenght and fdc and rdc strength. what would be considered a normal level for these. thanks for any help I appreciate it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How to get into diagnostics (NextBoxes).

1) Press and hold the Exit key for two seconds until the power LED flashes on the front panel of the PVR.
2) In quick succession, press the down arrow button twice, then press the 2 button. This will get you into the diagnostics section where you can browse all kinds of information.

Signal Levels:

The "level" should be between -10 and +10, with zero being about optimum.

The S/N ratio is good if it’s at about 35 dB or higher, although a good HD signal can be received with slightly lower numbers. If your S/N is around 30-32 (or less) though, that could be a source of problems.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

thank you very much for that level info that really helped me. the way you described to get into the diagnostics of the box didn't work for me. I had to hold the power button on the box for 5 seconds until the power icon began to flash, I then realesed the button and pressed it again  quickly before the icon stopped flashing. Guess my fingers must be slow for the remote option.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a follow up to my issues so far. After talking to rogers technical support they attempted to connect to the box with no luck it just stubornly stayed on the  PEnd display.

I was told to just swap out the box as it simply was not responding to anything.So yesterday the box got sawped out and lo and behold I got channels. But now a new issue has come up. most channels come in but some just have a black screen. i have been attempting to troubleshoot the issue myself.

The first thing I did was connect the box to the splitter with a shorter/newer piece of coaxial cable, that did nothing to help. I then removed the cable connecting my modem to the splitter, the missing channels began to come in. Finally i removed the splitter completly and connected directly into the main line coming into my house, again the missing channels came in.

by all this i'm guessing that my splitter has gone rogue on me. So my new question is what type of splitter should i get? Which brands are best? I did a brief check on cable splitters online and the prices range from incerdibly cheap to Richie Rich expensive. Thanks for any answer. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So, it's a signal issue after all, just like I've said several times in this thread.  Cable splitters should be rated a minimum of 5-1000MHz and be bidirectional.

Really though, you should have Rogers out to your home and check all the signals and they will provide any appropriate amps and/or splitters.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would call Rogers and get a tech sent out to fix your signal issues. Not all splitters are equal, I would suggest getting a Rogers tech to install new splittlers and fix the signal issue. Rogers ususes very high quality spillters, better than the stuff you get at the source, or home depot, etc.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dire I will have to agree with @gp-se and @57, have Rogers come and sort this out. When I've had a signal problem the Rogers tech replaced any suspect splitters, cables and connectors with good ones, no charge.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Funny, but we had this same experience this afternoon, but our NB3 got stuck on the COnn screen and never even made it to the PEnd screen. We called rogers and were told to exchange the box. They were able to check our signal and confirm that there was no issue there. We went through unplugging and rebooting 4-5 times with no luck at all. So off to the rogers store this evening and exchange the box. We hook up the new box with no problems, so signal was obviously not the issue. The downside of course, was losing all of our recordings. The upside though was that they gave us a new 4K PVR with double the storage 240 hours of HD vs 120 with the 9865. We don't have 4K TV yet, but indeed, if we get one, we will not have to upgrade our box. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The NB3 (9865) had been upgraded a while back to allow up to 240h as well 🙂

Its based on how it records on the box.. using MPEG4 instead of MPEG2.. more compression while keeping the quality.