Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

I wish I followed him outside to see what he did. He disconnected the main feed inside the weatherproof box at one point and tested the signal. He just said that the signal was perfect and then put on a weatherproof boot over the splitter terminal and reconnected the main feed. But later he went out alone and did something to change the signal strength. This was because on the 8300HD he saw a reading that was flagged in yellow or purple I had forgotten exactly and that was what he was trying to fix for me. But the whole time he said that the NB3 was getting enough even after I said people on this forum recommended more than 35dB S/N. He said S/N can vary from 30 to something 50ish (I forgot the exact upper value he gave me).

Just came home again and it is still stuck on PEnd with a -4.3 and 35.3 S/N. That's a slow improvement. I think I will call in again. Should I ask for a level 2 rep? My neighbour was just over today. They have the pedestal on their lawn. They said there is actually two temporary feeds coming out of it going to other homes across the street from me.

I recall in the past we rototiller our front lawn and sliced the cable. Another time I think the driveway was being worked on and damaged it. Both times Rogers shot a new u/g line to our demarc point.

I'm going to move my box back downstairs to see what S/N I'll get and level. It will bypass all my splitters and bad connections inside the house. I'll let you know what I get.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Moved it to one of the feeds coming in from the demarc point. Nothing in the way now. The NB3 still is showing Conn and the PEnd. The diagnostic shows +1.3 and 35 to 36.

I went to the Common Download section and it shows zero received, zero written and 0% completed, no errors.

If I took my box to a neighbour's and if they have a better signal etc would it update and boot then just show not authorized?
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am also dealing with this same issue for my owned 9865HD. It first went into the software download loop about three weeks ago. I live in a modern condo in downtown Toronto. A tech was sent to figure things out but he knew absolutely nothing. Customer Service told me that I would require a new box that they would rent me. I picked up my box and everything was fine. A few days later I thought I should try the box in another room before tossing it. To my surprise, it worked. A week later I decided to return the rental and move the machine back to the tv room and it continued to work fine for a week until it decided it needed to update the software again. For three days now it has been stuck. I have moved it to the other outlets but it didn't help. 

I have an older owned Nextbox in the bedroom that works fine. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VR46 wrote:
He said S/N can vary from 30 to something 50ish (I forgot the exact upper value he gave me).

Although S/N can vary, anything below 33 is usually not acceptable and a good S/N is usually around 37-40.  I haven't ever seen anything over 40.

For signal strength you usually want it close to zero at the box.  A SS of -5 may work, but may not work all the time, although I've seen SS as low as -9 "working".  You don't want the SS too high either as that can apparently harm the box. I wouldn't want anything above +5. Good luck to you both, but as I mentioned earlier, it's rarely the box that's the problem. Sometimes it may require several reboots to get restarted properly and sometimes it requires the "kick" that I mentioned earlier in this thread - Post 57 😉

There's no harm in trying the "bad" box at a neighbour's house temporarily or at a different location in your home.  I usually recommend a UPS for PVRs so that it doesn't go down during a power failure causing a head crash or issues as the power is restored, like a surge. Plug it into the "battery" side of the UPS and any high draw equipment into the "surge" side of the UPS.  The battery side also protects from surge. You can usually purchase a small UPS to keep a PVR up for a couple of hours for $50 or less.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Now that I think about it the tech likely said 30-40 as the S/N range.

Well as luck would have it yesterday I was home for lunch and the pedestal across the street with the temp lines was being repaired by a crew from Optilinx. So I thought I'd ask the guy working on some equipment from one of the street's handwells. I asked him if my street was in bad shape and he said it was. He was there to repair some broken lines and to improve things. I told him my numbers and he also thought they were low. He figured when he was done that things would be better. So I checked after work and my numbers were 1.8SS and still 35-36 S/R at the demarc point. I rebooted the box with the master reboot and still nothing. It was stuck on PEnd.

I went to work the next day and noticed the contractors had still left their stuff in the boulevard so I thought maybe they weren't done yet. I came home at lunch and still PEnd with no real changes to numbers. After work I come home and go to disconnect the box so I can try at my neighbour's house. I see the time on the display! It must have rebooted. I just checked now and I'm getting -0.8 and a crazy 39.8 S/N.

The new HDD has set itself up and I'm ready to reprogram the shows etc.

Does anyone know if Rogers tech support has access to construction projects or repairs? it would have been much nicer if they could have told me that things were in process to be fixed on the street. Instead they're home service tech and phone support steered me towards replacing the Box.I could have ended up paying another $25 a month for who knows how many years.

Thanks to the community for all your help! I think I should call into Rogers and complain and get a credit for my lost service.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VR46 : Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad to hear you're back up and running.  You know, in the hundreds of instances where people have had problems, all but a handful have been related to signal instead of the box itself.  I feel like a broken record when I state this, but I'm glad that the percentages are in my favour. 😉

I've Been Around

One or both of my 9865's was having playback issues: skipping in the middle of a program, and abruptly ending playback in the middle of a program. They were also frequently rebooting.

My 8642 was non-functional.

I suspected signal issues, and a Rogers tech came; he said there had been and were still neighbourhood issues which needed to be resolved, and they should be fixed within a couple of days.  He said the 8642 (owned by me) needed to be replaced.

While the signal issues were being resolved, one of my 9865's went into permanent PEnd.  The next tech who came said that that 9865 box was now toast, and the most common cause of a permanent PEnd is power failure during a reboot.

I have worked my way past recovering the recordings, although that would be nice, and would now be happy with a Factory Reset of the 9865. (I have given up on the 8642 functioning even as an HD box, although that would be nice too.)

Can I get a Factory Reset of a 9865 on permanent PEnd?  and if so how?

Thanks 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jrobin : As has been discussed previously in this and other threads, it's rare that a box actually fails and even rarer for two boxes to fail, unless there were a massive power surge or similar at your home which probably would have affected other electronics.  The first thing that many techs do is suggest a swap of boxes rather than properly fixing the signal issue. I hate that! It's usually a waste of time to swap boxes since the issue is almost always signal-related.

I suggest that the boxes are actually fine and once the signal is good in your area, the box(es) will boot properly and your recordings will probably still be there.  

Here's a link to signal issues post.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

In order to speed things up, you may wish to utilize the Share a Concern link:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

Or PM one of the @CommunityHelps people here, or use twitter or Facebook.

Highlighted

@jrobin : As has been discussed previously in this and other threads, it's rare that a box actually fails and even rarer for two boxes to fail, unless there were a massive power surge or similar at your home which probably would have affected other electronics.  The first thing that many techs do is suggest a swap of boxes rather than properly fixing the signal issue. I hate that! It's usually a waste of time to swap boxes since the issue is almost always signal-related.

I suggest that the boxes are actually fine and once the signal is good in your area, the box(es) will boot properly and your recordings will probably still be there.  

Here's a link to signal issues post.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

In order to speed things up, you may wish to utilize the Share a Concern link:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

Or PM one of the @CommunityHelps people here, or use twitter or Facebook.

Thanks for the boost @57!

I agree. PEnd doesn't necessarily mean the box is fried and I speak from personal experience here. I've had this error at home and it was signal related in the end. I was initially resigned to replacing it when it first appeared on my display but the tech that was assigned to my home was able to resolve it.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can take another look for you and make certain that this isn't a signal related issue. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here. It may indeed be the case the box is defective but let us do our due diligence and check our work for you. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey