Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

I got a 9865HD box at Salvation Army for 14.95! When I plugged it in I got to PEnd and stuck there. The boot without cable plugged in did not fix it, but I left it on (in PEnd state) overnight and lo and behold, it was fine next morning.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I've had the same PEnd message sitting on the box display. I moved the box to a connection right at the service entrance and saw in the diagnostics that it has S/N of 34-35dB. I called tech support and they sent out a tech just now who said my signal is perfect and everything is good. He said the hardware in the nextbox 3 isn't supporting the new update so it's toast and I should get a new box. He even tried initiating a new update from his laptop but nothing happened.

So is this true? They are not supporting nextbox 3s anymore?
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

All of the 2 and 3's have been out of support for a while now.

If you own the box, you are basically out of luck, but if you were renting, you can take it back and get a replacement.  There are no new boxes being issued, everything you get will be refurbished.

@57may have some tips or others maybe on whether there are anyway to revive the box.

Good luck. Bruce

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VR46 wrote:
1. I've had the same PEnd message sitting on the box display. I moved the box to a connection right at the service entrance and saw in the diagnostics that it has S/N of 34-35dB. I called tech support and they sent out a tech just now who said my signal is perfect and everything is good.

2. He said the hardware in the nextbox 3 isn't supporting the new update so it's toast and I should get a new box. He even tried initiating a new update from his laptop but nothing happened.

1. If you've only got 34 at the demarc your signal is low. Imagine how bad it is after a length of coax and a splitter or two.  What is the signal strength?

2. This is not true. The NB3 (9865) is still supported.  You had a lousy and untruthful technician.  There is no newer HD box than the 9865 on digital cable. The only thing newer is the 4K PVR and the new IgniteTV (IPTV)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BS wrote:

1. All of the 2 and 3's have been out of support for a while now.

2. If you own the box, you are basically out of luck,

1. The NB2 and 3 (8642 and 9865) are certainly supported by Rogers. There just aren't any new ones to be had.  Even boxes much older are still supported.  People who purchased boxes have a more difficult time, however, I find that polite persistence works just fine and it's rare that the box is the problem.  If it's a rental, Rogers often swap the box for expediency, but if the signal is no good, the rental may work for a short while and then fail too.

2. Actually, once the signal is correct I find that these boxes work just fine about 99% of the time.  They should certainly boot, not get stuck at PEnd and it's only the iHDD that sometimes fails. It's quite rare that the box is the problem, especially the tuner part.  

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the quick replies,

In the Network Status screen under FDC I have -4.4dBmV and 35.3dB right now. I also have an 8300HD that he saw was a bit out so he was outside and made an adjustment. I think when I checked that box my S/N was 24dB (I do have some splitters and older coax in the house with some poor crimp ends).

For the past few months this NB3 has been stuck on boot in the mornings after what I suspect was the 2am forced update/reboot. So I would unplug and reconnect power. It would reboot and carry on. But the past week this box is stuck and wont come off PEnd. It was raining outside here around that time so I was hopeful it was rain in the coax at the curb that dropped my quality.

Also the box must have been a rent to own and it is mine now. I also read about the HDD because some recordings would stutter and the box would reboot. So I bought a WD Purple and swapped it out hoping that would fix this but it still shows PEnd. 😞
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

-4.4 SS is within spec, but it should be closer to zero.  35 is OK, but not great. How are you seeing this if the box is stuck on PEnd?  24 on the 8300HD is extremely poor.  After swapping out the drive on the 9865, perhaps it requires a bit of a kick. Here are the "kick" instructions, but I still think you have signal issues and the 9865 requires the best signal of all boxes:

"9865 - NB3 Master Boot : Hold power button and unplug. Wait 5 seconds plug back in while still holding power button in. Wait 5 seconds and release power button. Bunch of stuff comes up saying this box needs to be updated when the network is available.

This may take some time and will likely reset your 9865 to factory defaults, meaning settings and recordings will be lost. You may also need to call Rogers to reauthorize the 9865."

From the iHDD replacement thread:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/211002-upgrade-replace-ihdd-98...

Here's a useful FAQ:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17719-57-faq-tips-sa-cisco-stbs-also-pace....

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm using the Exit button on the remote until the power light flashes, then press down cursor twice followed by '2' and it enters the diagnostics menu. The SS was closer to -10 I believe before the tech got here.

I just did the master reboot. Im not concerned about settings and recordings. I still have the original HDD that I can try putting in it later or making a copy of this will fully boot for me.

Okay so I guess I call tech support again and ask them to take a hard look at the signal strength again. Also the pedestal across the street has some temp aerial runs feeding two houses. I told the tech support person and she didn't comment on it. I figured it would have been mentioned if there was a cut line or poor quality on my street.

Master reboot is done. Waiting for it to move past 'Conn' at the moment. I'll send another update later once I see any changes.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VR46 wrote:
I'm using the Exit button on the remote until the power light flashes, then press down cursor twice followed by '2' and it enters the diagnostics menu. The SS was closer to -10 I believe before the tech got here.

Thanks, I didn't realize you could see the diagnostics if the box hadn't booted. Good Luck.

What did the technician do to get from -10 to -4?  He should have been able to get closer to zero, or even positive at the demarc so that you'd be at zero at the box(es).  Perhaps there's an issue in your neighbourhood. When/if you call in, ask them to check your neighbours' signals. That can sometimes be an indication of issues on the street.

I was the last house on our street and had signal issues for years, as did many of my neighbours, but they never called in. A tree branch had come down on the main feed and was causing issues.  I was the one that finally got the entire street working properly after they replaced the entire feed on our street. That's part of the reason why I know so much about signals, along with the fact that I optimized Home Theatres for a decade.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for clarifying my misinformation on support. Glad to here they still support. I was thinking in terms of once fully dead not mostly dead. (-: