Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

ColdGranite, Your tip of unplugging the Box and disconnecting the cable feed, then replugging the Box and while it's booting re-connecting the cable feed worked for me!  I had earlier only retried unplugging and replugging with the same results, COnn and PEnd.  Hopefully it lasts more than 24 hours!  No calls to Rogers needed.  Thank you!

I also found this, if one knows what one is doing:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjni4rkzPLQAhUKzGMKHS7ACNoQ...

I Plan to Stick Around

Has anyone tried connecting the box directly to an ethernet connection to see if it does the update? Is the ethernet plug even live? How about the USBs?

I'm going to try Granite's "fix" and see if that works.

Weird that I am having this problem shortly after finishing the rent to own program for the box.

Before this problem we were having an occasional screen freeze problem. it would occasionally freeze on PVR playback. Maybe a glitchy area of the hard drive? Sometimes if we left it, it would start playing again. Sometimes if we turned the box off, it would come back on, stuck in the same place, with incorrect colours. Sometimes when we rebooted and played the recorded show from the beginning, the show would get stuck in the same place. If we fast-forwarded past the "stuck" place, the show would continue without interuption.

Again, interesting that this started only after we "owned" the box.

Thoughts?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dalziel66

1. The ethernet port is not used by Rogers at this time.  As a matter of fact, if people plugged in an ethernet cable with early versions of Navigatr firmware there were problems.

2. The USB port is also not utilized by Rogers at this time.  It's possible to use it to charge small devices if you like.

3. The glitches in the recordings are either due to an issue with the Hard Drive, or with the initial incoming signal, which the drive then recorded.

Low signal strength often causes issues for many people.  Call Rogers and have them check the signal at your box (give them the serial number if you have more than one box) or in your neighbourhood. They can check the signal remotely.  Here's a post on the topic:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

It's probably just coincidence that it happened after rent-to-own finished.

I Plan to Stick Around

Problem 1:

Okay, so how am I supposed to get the box to update if I cannot use one of the ports and it doesn't seem to want to connect to do the update when I reboot it munerous times? I will try Granite's idea and see if that works.

Problem 2:

Signal strength is fine.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dalziel66 wrote:

Okay, so how am I supposed to get the box to update if I cannot use one of the ports

The box will update to the latest firmware via the coax connnection at the appropriate time governed by the Rogers head end to which you are connected.  It's automatic and there's nothing you can do to force it.  Whenever you have a complete reboot, you will have the latest firmware appropriate for your STB/location.

The latest firmware version may take time to get to certain areas since Rogers may take 3-4 weeks to send out new firmware to all its customers in Ontario, but again, there is absolutely nothing that you can do.

If you are having difficulty rebooting, there is likely some sort of signal issue, either at your home, in your neighbourhood, or rarely inside the STB.

I've Been Here Awhile

Same situation as yours. Problem started occurring after rent-to-own. Technician came and said it can't be fixed. He said I have to buy or rent a new box. I also tried Granite's method many times but still no use.

Was your box fixed?

Hello, @mychaudang

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. If the technician has determined it can't be fixed then most likely it's a hardware failure. Have you reached out to our Customer Service yet to add a box to your account? If not you can send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

PS: I understand you were trying to relate your issue with the other member in this thread, however, since they were not tagged properly they may not read your post. Just tag like this - @ColdGranite

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi @RogersMoin,

I've called Rogers CSR to add a new box.  Back to renting again.

Hello, @mychaudang

I appreciate the update. Thanks for your contribution and for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

These are definitely the worst boxes ever. 1 purchased 3.0 stuck with this same issue. Definitely not a signal issue. Another purchased 3.0 work fine but it seems like the hard drive is dead, can't record watch any recordings without it freezing.

I own many super old boxes and they work great. The old silver pvrs are champs