Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

A few questions for the Rogers Technical community.   If the Rogers Technical community does not read these forums, then IS there a Rogers Technical community???

BACKGROUND

.... These issues have been discussed before... in my particular case, I was watching a CFL game late Saturday night, when the picture froze, and the PVR rebooted.  However, the PVR did not appear to reboot "clean", but was rebootting over and over again.

It was late, I was tired, I unplugged and went to bed.

Sunday morning, I booted it, and it came up with COnn on the LEDs, followed by PEnd.  The output display on the TV showed a CISCO splash screen with the message (among others)." The software on this unit must be updated.  This upgrade will be performed when the network is available."

Two other digital boxes in the whole-home setup (plus the internet) were working normally.  A tech had been at the house several days earlier on a different issue, and confirmed that the signal strength was good.

ROGERS ATTEMPTS AT RESOLUTION:

So a quick call to Rogers.  A very helpful person tells me he know what is wrong and will refer it to "the engineers".  A couple of hours later, an automated call says "we need more information" and directs to me a support person.  SP says, "oh... no, we can't fix it... you need to have a tech come, but even that probably wont work, you need to exchange the box" ... 

OK, so be it, but a nagging voice says, this can't be right.  several reboots in faint hope during the day, no change, COnn, then PEnd permanently.  So i leave it in its "PEnd" state, to see if anything will happen overnight sunday night.  Meanwhile, we still have the other two units to watch.

Monday morning, no change, so I call and they agree to send tech... "he MAY be able to do something, but we will tell him to bring a new box"... "TODAY, at 2:00-4:00"

7:00 pm with no tech. I call. Its for tomorrow, not today... "But you specifically said "TODAY""... sorrry, somebody's mistake. Tomorrow."  Turned out to be a good thing.

THE ULTIMATE ACTUAL RESOLUTION.

SO... I leave the PVR in its PEnd state, take off the cable and bypass it directly to the TV to at least watch the few available channels in comfort.   

Tuesday morning, what the heck, reboot it one more time.... Comes up in COnn state, and stays there.... I forgot the cable bypass.  I plug the cable back onto the PVR.  Holy crap,  it shifts immediately to the percent-dowloaded code... CD01, rapidly escalating to CD99... The output display CISCO splash screen changes to show a growing green bar.

The download completes, the box reboots at least twice.... not sure because I HAD to leave the TV to deal with another issue, but an hour later it was up and working fine.

SO...QUESTIONS FOR ROGERS.

1.  What changed?  

First we had "we know how to fix it".  Then we had "it cant be fixed from here", and we had.  "MAYBE it can be fixed from customer's end",,, but "most likely it CAN'T"be fixed and will have to be replaced"...

So which is it?.... oh yeah: NONE OF THE ABOVE...

...... .... gee, it got fixed without doing anything.... or at least without doing anything which we admit to...????

2.  This box is a simple computer.  It has at least two USB ports.  It boots.  

How simple would it be to have a secret keystroke sequence restore it to factory-settings, and boot from a USB port to restore a working system?  Even if it is the tech (and not the customer) that had to do it? A little design forethought, PLEASE!.

CONCLUSION:

In any case, if you get into one of those perpetual "PEnd" states, you might try booting with the cable OFF, then connect the cable while the box is powered UP.  I can't promise anything, but maybe it triggers something that gets that software update started correctly.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 COnn, PEnd, and download

We're all just users, like yourself. Nobody here works for Rogers...although they lurk from time to time.

Either way, thanks for the useful troubleshooting tip...might be of help to another NB3.0 user experiencing the same issues.

I Plan to Stick Around

We can only hope
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know you said the tech was out and said all was ok, but usually that sort of message comes up, when it's a signal issue to that box itself.

Maybe the act of starting it up with no cable forced it into a search mode, when it was actually able to latch on properly when connected once again then succeeded.

I know my one HD box upstairs which I know is just barely a reasonable enough signal can take longer to do a update than the other HD box or my pvr.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, the solution was short-lived.....about 12 hours.

Froze last night, auto repeat boots, and back to permanent COnn, PEnd.

By the way, in a WH setup, is it ok to move a box to a different location (different tv)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It may be.
All depends on how the house was set up.

The line going to that outlet needs to be connected in the same group inside the moca filter for the other tvs to see it. If it's not, the box may boot/work, but the whole home won't

I've Been Here Awhile

Same thing happening here. Just made it to the "a technician can come fix it in 2 days" stage but after reading this ill try your trick. Will let you know if it worked for me !

I Plan to Stick Around

Yesterday morning i turned on my nextbox only to see a cisco splash screen telling me that the box required an update. After 30 minutes nothing had happened, so I unpluged the machine then plugged it back in. The display showed the word BOOT then after a minute it showed Conn then showed the word PEnd then just hung there, no change just PEnd.

I did some research and found that this issue was happening 2 or so years ago but had been resolved for the most part. so i unplugged my box and took it to another room with a different electrical outlet and tv. I then directly connected it to the main cable line in my house so that the signal would not be split (my mainline is connected to a splitter that splits the signal to my tv and my modem) It went through the same routine. even asking for a reathourization from rogers was futile.

anyone have an idea as what i can do? i have a Rogers store near by, will they let me swap it out? this nextbox 3.0 is a rental 

. Thank you for any idea cause right now i'm at my wits end.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Did you call Rogers and have them check your signal strength. It may be something in your home or outside your home in your neighbourhood.  They can do this remotely.

It's actually rarely the box that is the problem.

I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for the quick reply. i haven't called rogers yet,as i was hoping i could resolve this myself. what could cause signal loss? i ask because i already did a quick look around my property inspecting the cable lines both inside and outside my home for wear and tear/corrosion finding nothing.