Nextbox 3.0 Auto Convert Channels to HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox 3.0 Auto Convert Channels to HD

I would suggest you talk to customer service.  They tried the $50 thing on me when the store gave me a bad box a few months ago, and once I talked to customer service, they said that was a mistake, if you drove to the store to replace a defective box and they give you another defective box, they then will send a tech to your house to swap the box and check the signal.

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

I got a new NB3 today. It has a very slightly different look to it, the power adaptor is different and the remote is the new smaller one with silver buttons. Got it hooked up with new HDMI cable and authorized. Sound and picture is back better than before. Even the Guide works the way it should, no time delay. No info past Thursday though. Search still doesn't work and On Demand just loads and loads and loads. Guess this is the best I can get.

Don't want to waste any more of my life talking to techs and ending up with nothing. Not their fault.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

May take another download to get more guide data.

As for the search/RoD.. on a newly authorized box, usually will take up to 72 hours to start working.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: NextBox 3.0 Auto Convert Channels to HD

NextBox switching from SD to HD when I am subscribed to both channels

I just got Rogers TV 4 days ago. I was told if I subscribe to a channel in both SD and HD, that if I selected the SD channel from the guide then it would automatically swith to the HD channel. Is this true? If not, is there a setting I can change to do this? (my Shaw Direct satellite used to tell me right away that I had a channel in HD if I selected the SD channel from the guide and would give me the option to switch to HD with 1 click of a button).

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Welcome to Rogersland!

A history lesson:

When Rogers first introduced HD channels, they were added at the top of the channel range (in the 500's). But, because of the legacy channel lineup left over from the days of tv tuner knobs, people would 'miss out' on the HD version of some channels due to muscle memory (i.e. tuning to channel 3 for Global instead of the new 5 something), probably leading to a spike in service calls.

So, Rogers decided that, on HD boxes, they would automatically substitute the SD version of those legacy channels with the HD feed.

In summary:
1. Some channels autosub, some don't. Mostly, channels in the single/double digit range autosub. Anything above 100 and you're on your own to find the HD version. Most are in the 500's but newer specialty channels are often sprinkled throughout the 200's as Rogers has run out of room in the 5's.

Also note that not every SD has an HD equivalent. This is mostly true for the timeshifting channels. In SD, for example, you'll have a range of CBC stations from across the country, east to west. In HD, however, you'll get one local feed and one timeshifting feed.

2. There is no setting to change, and no buttons to press. Rogers autoHD works differently than most other carriers who have a "watch in HD" button in the info banner.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Lurker wrote:

When Rogers first introduced HD channels, they were added at the top of the channel range (in the 500's). But, because of the legacy channel lineup left over from the days of tv tuner knobs, people would 'miss out' on the HD version of some channels due to muscle memory (i.e. tuning to channel 3 for Global instead of the new 5 something), probably leading to a spike in service calls.

So, Rogers decided that, on HD boxes, they would automatically substitute the SD version of those legacy channels with the HD feed.

In summary:
1. Some channels autosub, some don't. Mostly, channels in the single/double digit range autosub. Anything above 100 and you're on your own to find the HD version. Most are in the 500's but newer specialty channels are often sprinkled throughout the 200's as Rogers has run out of room in the 5's.

I can't answer whether you automatically get both the SD and HD  feed if you inadvertently subscribe to a SD channel.  However, Rogers has been getting away from identifying channels by number, but rather by name with a colourful logo, so I would not expect them to give you a SD channel if a HD one was available. What I do know is that with the older SARA system, which I have on my SA8300HD PVR (not Nextbox) when I tune to, say Channel 3 (Global) I get it in HD and it's displayed as "HDGLB".  As you say, this was done so people who were familiar with their favourite channels before HD didn't have to memorize a whole new set of channel numbers in the 5xx range.  When the newer boxes came out they had a new guide and this substitution was dropped and Channel 3 was SD and you'd have to tune to Ch 518 to get Global in HD.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you very much for your response.  I will give it a few days to see what channels auto convert.  After that, my wife and I will just have to learn the new system and what channels we have in SD and HD and what channels we only have in SD.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

How do you change this?  At my relatives house the lower channels show in SD unlike at my house where it automatically shows HD no matter if the SD channel is selected.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@carprock wrote:

How do you change this?  At my relatives house the lower channels show in SD unlike at my house where it automatically shows HD no matter if the SD channel is selected.

I don't believe there is any way to change the functionality of the box. Perhaps a reboot will help? Where are your relatives located? What is the exact make/model of their box?  If they use Motorola equipment, then that may be the issue...