Nextbox 3.0 Analogue Out?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox 3.0 Analogue Out?

I have an old standard definition analogue CRT TV.  Will the Nextbox 3.0 (aka model 9865) work with it?  In other words does the 9865 have an option to do a conversion and create an analogue output?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Nextbox 3.0 Analogue Out?

Good evening @X318,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.

You've definitely come to the right place! While I'm not familiar with this set up, I'll tag our Resident Experts for their valuable insight! @57 @Gdkitty would you guys like to chime in? 

RogersZia

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@X318 wrote:

I have an old standard definition analogue CRT TV.  Will the Nextbox 3.0 (aka model 9865) work with it?  In other words does the 9865 have an option to do a conversion and create an analogue output?

***Edited Labels***

If the TV has the old Video and Audio (L & R) RCA inputs then it will work.

If it has the HDTV (YPbPr) video inputs that would be even better.  You would still need the audio connection.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@X318 wrote:

I have an old standard definition analogue CRT TV. 

Please tell us the exact make and model of the TV and we can advise. It most likely has at least a composite video input (yellow), along with analogue audio (red/white) which would mean you're OK, but without knowing the model, it's just a guess.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a Toshiba 20AF46C model TV.  It's only able to display standard definition signals but has both composite and component inputs.  I presume what you're saying is that the component and composite outputs of the Nextbox 3.0 are inherently analogue.  Then in turn my TV would be able to work with either of those connection methods?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@X318 I have the following comments.

1. You have a 20" SDTV.

2. You can connect the 9865 to it via component video and analogue audio, however, the SDTV will only accept 480i via the inputs, so you need to go into the 9865 Settings - Appearance and choose 4:3SDTV before you connect the component video cables, or temporarily use the composite input to choose the setting.

3. The picture quality will not be very good and since it's a 4:3 SDTV, you'll have black bars above and below any HD channel images since they're 16:9.

4. With HDTVs of that size being extremely inexpensive, I suggest you purchase a new HDTV instead of using this small old CRT.

5. The cost of the new TV will almost pay for itself in a year or two since this old CRT uses a fair bit of power (relatively).

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your reply.  I think I've got it figured out now.  Your one to two year payback for a new TV seems a bit optimistic. I would say at least five years but I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

I've Been Here Awhile

From the manual for that model: 105w , 3w standby

Walmart has a 24 inch 720p led for $148, 30w usage

105w-30w=75w

$148/.15= 986kwh x 1000 = 986000wh / 75w  = 13 146 hrs usage

At 4hrs/day = 3286 days / 365 days = 9 years

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I looked at 20" HDTVs and they were available for under $100 and would use a bit less power, so that would cut the payback in half if used 4 hours per day, and still more if used more hours per day.  Also it would give you a nice picture to look at, without black bars instead of the horrible SDTV picture.  Boxing week may even have better pricing.  Anyway, hooking up a 9865 to a 20" CRT SDTV is such a waste.... 😉

My 1-2 years was certainly optimistic, but a few extra $ to watch better TV would be worth it for most people.  As you indicated, it would probably be worthwhile moving up in size too if there's room.