Nextbox 3.0 (9865 HD)- Installing PVR Expander

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 (9865 HD)- Installing PVR Expander

LOST ALL BUT 2.5% of my PVR recordings – PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello,

I just entered a nightmare:

I VERY recently installed a PVR-E (with the help of people here)

All was well (TGTBT) until a brief time ago:

I wanted to record a song (from a station in the 700's). I have voice recorders, so I STUPIDLY connected my VR to one of the USB ports on the left side (Looking at the back of the NB 3.0: There are 2 USB ports (vertical) on LEFT side.

Nothing happened VR LCD read: “Connecting ...”).

Then I removed the USB cable & system froze => reboot.

NB: Out of further stupidity, I did NOT unplug NEXTBOX 3.0 except to REBOOT (Done 3 times so far))

I did not realize a VR was viewed by NB 3.0 as a PVR-E???

When I saw my recordings, I think there are 6 they are random (Dates are recent and old)

I may NOT be able to take FULL credit for this (losing almost all recordings) b/c in recent few days, following an update(s) last week there has been freezing; On Demands oten are all grey and the text reads “Undefined” etc.

Updates seem to be taking FAR LONGER than usual.....

I have not tried any of the 6 recordings “yet” because I am HOPING that someone can please advise {the more I do, the less chance there is in POSSIBLY reversing this.}

Finally, There is a red light to the left of the HDMI PORT (Viewing the back panel of the NEXTBOX 3.0) {Although this may have always been present}

Thank you in Advance!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am GUESSING your voice recorders you plugged in, are DIGITAL?  Likely when plugged in it viewed them as a STORAGE device and expanded it partially again, etc. Smiley Sad

As for the how/what the recordings.. not really sure. Smiley Sad

(and the red light.. without pulling mine out.. but i am GUESSING.. is it part of a port/jack? (thinking the digital audio out)

I'm a Senior Advisor

I did not think the USB ports on your PVR were for customer use. I thought they were used by the manufacturer.

Here is an older thread on the subject.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi Gdkitty

Thank you for replying!

I am not giving up yet!

On the NB 3.0 there are 3 settings for PVR (Settings -> PVR SETTINGS)

default series settings

default recording settings

related content setting

It is on the "default series settings"

Do you think changing this would do anything?

I have 6 movies now

2.5% of the PVR has been used.

There are ~12.3 hours of recordings (movies....) I have not checked their integrity yet but ONE is from before the PVR-E was added.

The dates recorded and the movies' number of hours seem okay.

The PVR (+PVR-E) was around 30% used, with all of my movies (> 100))

Assuming nothing works:

Can I be sure the default PVR disc is clean? Or might it be corrupt?

I found what MIGHT be an index file on the DIGITAL VR!

MSGLISTL.MSF ( It is 2.15 MB)

An .MSF file is an index file (apparently similar to the Netscape email index) and It is not on my other VR.

"MSF File - What is it and how do I open it?"

http://file.org/extension/msf

Since I have VERY little to lose:

I wonder whether the following would work:

Connect the VR again (the same way USB to USB), turn off the TV and hit record on the PVR?

Thanks again!

I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi OLDYELLR and thanks for the link!

I read it (and updated it) because apparently they could cause disasters (as I am proof)

If nothing else people can learn from my experience.

I doubt CISCO would talk to me?

As I posted above: I found a 2.15 MB *.MSF  file on the VR (which I assume is the index file from the PVR)

Since only 2.5% is used now, (details above), I guess the movies are no longer there....

But they are not on the VR either (the amount of space used on my VR is compatible with the MP3 "clips" sizes).

I have not listened to all of the VR and maybe I should because sometimes the icons are MP3 but the media player has another unrecognizable file type and cannot play it.....

Thank you again!

I'm a Senior Advisor

YtanyaY wrote:

I doubt CISCO would talk to me?

Cisco sold the set top box division to a French company.  No chance they support the box.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Thanks OLDYELLR,

QUESTION: Since PVR "610" shows only 2.5% used (6 movies) (12.5 - 13 hours), do you think this indicates that the rest were deleted or not recognized (due to no index file)? (Assuming the index.msf file is on the voice recorder now)

QUESTION: I cannot even figure out whether the PVR-E is being accounted for?

One thing is that regardless of how I have "ordered" the 6 movies ordered (date, title, channel) it always defaults to PVR

QUESTION: I know I was told in the past but I cannot find the post now:

How does one access the diagnostic screens of NEXTBOX 3.0 (9865)?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated - I don't want to touch anything involving the PVR because 

A) I am under the assumption that there could be hope until I <try to> record (That (IMH<Uninformed>O)) would thoroughly mess everything up)

B)  Same with deleting (IMHUO)

Thanks!

I'm a Senior Advisor

@YtanyaY not having a Nextbox (or Navigatr, if that's what you have) or an expander, I can't help much.  All I've read is that whatever is stored either on the internal drive or the expander just shows as one "list".

I'm a Senior Contributor

Thanks again OLDYELLR!

PLEASE NOTE: I replied (edited) before you posted this. Please see my post above this one!

Thanks!

I'm a Senior Advisor

You should be able to tell if your PVR sees the external drive just from what it shows recorded and how much free space (percent full) you have.