Nextbox 3.0 (9865 HD)- Installing PVR Expander

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox 3.0 (9865 HD)- Installing PVR Expander

The one item that might stop your plan dead in its tracks is the format of the data on the extension hard drive.  We have satellite receivers which use some variant of a linux format from what I remember. I don't remember the exact details but if its not proprietary, its a very unusual format, which makes it difficult to manage as you need a pc or laptop running linux to be able to do anything with it.  Windows pc's can't or won't do anything with that format.  Its also possible that the files might be encrypted, making it very difficult to determine what files are what and difficult if not impossible to move files from one drive to another.  You might run into the same situation here as well, so, some research into the format might be required.   Fwiw....

I'm a Senior Advisor

I presume one would rely on the PVR to format the extender drive. My question would be, if you removed an extender containing many shows as per instructions and then put it back later after many other shows had been recorded and/or deleted on the internal drive, would it even be recognized?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Contributor

@YtanyaY  It should work if you use software that can handle EXT3/EXT4 partitions like Clonezilla or get Windows EXT drivers from Paragon.  There is an old thread on Digital Home that describes replacing the internal hard drive in an 8300 PVR and cloning the data using software called Active Disk Image.  I don't recall reading about anyone doing the same with an external drive, but as I said, the file contents are encrypted but the disk structure is definitely readable.

However, you said that in this scenario, "because it had become faulty or needed a reformat".  If the disk has become faulty because of I/O errors, then a bit for bit copy will just copy the disk error to PVR-E2.  If the problem with PVR-E1 is the electronics, then you won't be able to read it.  

If you just need to reformat the drive, then deleting the partitions and plugging the drive back into the PVR will cause it to be formatted, although some people have reported some problems with getting the initial format going on external drives they have built themselves.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Thank you,

I mean to format it on the NEXTBOX 3 (Not the computer).

My only objective would be to replace PVR-E1 with a new PVR-E2

I'm NOT trying to read encryption or move Roger's (or any others’) proprietary material to a computer ...

The only reason I would need the computer would be to copy the data (assuming that it would be copied and pasted exactly how it was arranged on the PVR-E1) in the same sequences / order etc.)) to the PVR-E2 (which I would have prepared (formatted +/- partitioned(?)) on the Nextbox 3)

?

I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi,

Thank you

I meant to use the NEXTBOX 3 to format (and I guess partition too) the PVR-E2 BEFORE trying to paste the data (using the computer).

"My question would be, if you removed an extender containing many shows as per instructions and then put it back later after many other shows had been recorded and/or deleted on the internal drive, would it even be recognized?"

I don't think it would work. I think the only way it could function would be if you did NOT use the recording or deleting features on the NEXTBOX 3 at all.

Reasoning: What I've read here is that the default (internal) drive has indexes (Registry(?)) so if anything was changed on it, the removed PVR-E would not be included and that would show up when it was reinstalled(?)

Possibly?

JMUO

U = Uninformed

I'm a Senior Contributor

@YtanyaY  I am not sure I am completely correct on the following, because I have never tested it.

When you format an external drive on the PVR, I believe it initiaizes the index on the internal drive.  This is because it assumes you are startinng fresh with a new drive.  So plugging in a new drive (PVR-E2) would make recordings on the old drive (PVR-E1) inaccessible if you plugged PVR-E1 back in..

Now if you recorded 20 shows on the external drive, the index on the internal drive will have 20 entries that point to the external drive.  If you unplug the external drive, the PVR will record any new recordings on the internal drive, but it will not change the 20 entries that point to the external drive.  When you plug the external drive back in, those 20 recordings are still accessible (assuming you did not delete any of those recordings while the drive was unplugged).

I am basing my comments on trying to solve problems with external drives, not because I have actually tried this.  I manage to lose enough recordings between Nextbox problems and Navigatr that I don't need to tempt fate by plugging and unplugging external drives.

I'm a Senior Contributor

NB: The reply below is BEFORE I got your reply starting with "@YtanyaY  I am not sure I am completely correct on the following, because I have never tested it."

Hi and Thank you for answering!

"@YtanyaY  It should work if you use software that can handle EXT3/EXT4 partitions like Clonezilla or get Windows EXT drivers from Paragon [ ... ]  and cloning the data using software called Active Disk Image.” 

I would not be trying to format on any computer. I'd try to format the new PVR-E2 on the NEXTBOX 3.0. (Before it had any data on it)

The computer would NOT be involved in ANY formatting whatsoever. (ONLY as a means to copy and paste)

Do you know if the NEXTBOX 3.0's format includes creating the partitions?

I don't know anything about cloning programs.

"However, you said that in this scenario, "because it had become faulty or needed a reformat".  If the disk has become faulty because of I/O errors, then a bit for bit copy will just copy the disk error to PVR-E2.  If the problem with PVR-E1 is the electronics, then you won't be able to read it."

I'd have to design the PVR-E1 problem to fit the "solution"!

LOL

I think there are different I/O errors - some require a reformat.

I would hope that the problem on the faulty PVR-E1 would not have effected the data already on the drive.

Example: Try to record a new movie => I/O error: so one could not record the NEW movie. Hopefully though the other recordings already on the PVR-E1 drive would not have been effected (since the error came AFTER they were recorded).

MAJOR ASSUMPTION: PVR-Es do not contain any OS. - They are only storage?

Do you know?

(If not, them I doubt my "fix" would work.....)

I don't know if the NEXTBOX 3 O uses a "registry" (Is there one?) but IF there is a registry (index) it would be on the default internal drive... As long as one DID NOT CHANGE anything on the PVR-E1 (PRIOR TO MOVING TH FILES to the PVR-E2 (PREPARED on the NEXTBOX 3.0)), I would imagine it could work?

"If you just need to reformat the drive, then deleting the partitions and plugging the drive back into the PVR will cause it to be formatted, although some people have reported some problems with getting the initial format going on external drives they have built themselves."

Then you would lose all the recordings already on the defective drive.

Thanks again!

I think it would be FAR HARDER to replace the default PVR drive (without losing all recordings).

I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi roxandtreez,

Thank you for the replies.

"When you format an external drive on the PVR, I believe it initiaizes the index on the internal drive.  This is because it assumes you are startinng fresh with a new drive.  So plugging in a new drive (PVR-E2) would make recordings on the old drive (PVR-E1) inaccessible if you plugged PVR-E1 back in.."

* Is there a way to temporarily disable the PVR?

* Maybe if the reboot was NOT done it would not communicate w/ the internal drive?

I would NEVER try this unless the box had to be replaced and I would lose all of the recordings....

I have enough problems following my remote's buttons let alone any of the "possibilities"!

It's a fluke that so far my PVR-E has been working!

It has however slowed things down considerably (But maybe this is due to temporary issues at Rogers)?

There would have been over 1 hour wait for phone support very early this AM (2:00 or 3:00 AM in Toronto) when my cable stopped working which usually indicates others are having problems too...

I'm a Senior Contributor

@YtanyaY Unfortunately, if you remeber the Rogers instructions, the power must be off to plug in or unplug an external drive.  A reboot will take place as soon as the power is plugged back in. There is no way around it that I know.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Thank you for your many replies, for your expertise and for the link to the instructions!