Nextbox 3.0 (9865 HD)- Installing PVR Expander

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Nextbox 3.0 (9865 HD)- Installing PVR Expander

When you add an extender HDD, your recordings will be distrubuted over the internal and external drives and you don't know where.  The PVR just sees one big drive, not two.  In fact, if you later remove the extender, I think you lose everything and have to start from scratch. Also, with the Nextbox 3.0, your recordings get compressed by media shrink after they're saved, so the free space will increase after that's done.  That's just from what I've read here. I don't have a NB3 or extender, just an 8300HD with a 160 gig drive that's 30% full.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Contributor

@YtanyaY

Sorry for the late response.  The forums wouldn't let me post replies all day.

It is hard to exactly verify the math because you don't get the full space on the disk.  Some of it is taken up by indexes of recordings, software, the Guide, etc.

You don't get to choose which drive it records on.  Recordings will be put on the drive that has the most free space.  So for a while, all your recordings are going to go on the external drive.  As you watch and delete old recordings and bring down the number of recordings on the internal drive, eventually both drives will be used for recording.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Thanks

But in the article that posted the link for:

"Install or Disconnect a PVR Extender"

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/pvr/317

The second part has instructions on how to remove the PVR-E without losing recordings.

"To make sure no recordings are lost, it is important to properly disconnect the PVR Extender from the PVR Digital Set Top Box."

I'm a Senior Contributor

I wonder what would happen if you got a new (clean) PVR-E (same size):

First removed the PVR-E [safely as in the article:

Formatted the new PVR-E (on the NEXTBOX 3.0),

Then used a PC to copy and paste your PVR-E data to the new <formatted> one (I assume it would be nonsense (scrambled))

and finally installed the new PVR-E with the data into the NEXTBOX 3.0?

(I.E. swapped PVR-E but after formatting and moving whatever is on the original PVR-E))?

(Even though the data would be scrambled I'd assume the PC would still be able to move it to the new PVR-E)

I'm a Senior Contributor

Thank you for replying.

I guess that means it IS working because I am watching a movie I recorded AFTER installing the PVR-E!

Great!

Thank you again!

I'm a Senior Advisor

@YtanyaY wrote:

I wonder what would happen if you got a new (clean) PVR-E (same size):

First removed the PVR-E [safely as in the article:

Formatted the new PVR-E (on the NEXTBOX 3.0),

Then used a PC to copy and paste your PVR-E data to the new <formatted> one (I assume it would be nonsense (scrambled))

and finally installed the new PVR-E with the data into the NEXTBOX 3.0?

(I.E. swapped PVR-E but after formatting and moving whatever is on the original PVR-E))?

(Even though the data would be scrambled I'd assume the PC would still be able to move it to the new PVR-E)

That's an interesting project, if possible, but why would you want to do it unless you wanted to hoard shows you'll never have time to watch?  But I'm not sure you could do that with your PC's operating system because the PVR uses a different system (can't remember which).

I'm a Senior Contributor

@YtanyaY@OLDYELLR

I'm not sure whether you can do this with a Windows PC.  The PVR operating system is Linux and the external hard drive has multiple partitions formatted as EXT3/4. (I've been looking at the contents of my old external drive just for fun).  The disk structure is not encrypted but the indivdual files are.

Assuming you have the technical skillls to use Gparted and other Linux tools, you should be able to clone the drive. However, the main index of where the recordings are stored is held on the internal drive only, and I don't know whether that index can distinguish between different drives, since the cloning will make them identical.  It would give you a backup copy at that moment, but the next time you record something, the index will change.

If you follow the instructions on removing the external drive, and then look at the List on the PVR, you will still see all of your recordings in the list, but if you try to play one which is on the external drive, it will not play.  Once you plug the drive back in, the recordings are available again.  I think the instructions for removal are more for the case of having to move the PVR to another location so that you don't lose any stored recordings.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Thank you

I like to have movies available.

I think there were ~ 100 movies recorded when 80% was used.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I had a whole shelf full of VCR tapes of movies I'd taped that ended up in the dumpster, mostly unwatched. I don't bother anymore because I have Netflix and a smart TV where I can play downloaded torrents. People place too much emphasis on "owning" stuff they don't ever use.

But if you had an extra PVR Expander and filled it with movies to watch later, I'm wondering if you could disconnect it and then connect it back up months later to watch one of those movies. Has anyone here done that?

I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi roxandtreez,

Thanks for replying.

I think I know what I was trying to ask:

Do you think the following steps would work if one had to REPLACE a PVR-E (because it had become faulty or needed a reformat)

PVR-E1 = The add-on PVR --- {ORIGINAL - but NOT the PVR drive that's inside the NEXTBOX 3}

PVR-E2 - A new (same-size as the PVR-E1) PVR-E

* Get another PVR-E (PVR-E2 same size as the *defective* PVR-E1 (maybe needed))

* Remove the PVR-E1 as article describes (this is to save the index / recordings on the default PVR drive that came with (inside) the NEXTBOX 3)

* Install the new PVR-E2 ONLY TO FORMAT it on the NEXTBOX 3 (compatibility).

{Can one temporarily disable the PVR? (Otherwise the empty PVR-E2 might effect the internal PVR drive.)}

* COPY data (filled / used space) from PVR-E1 on any computer

(I think the used space would just be sequences of 0's and 1's).

* PASTE the data onto the PVR-E2 (which was formatted on the NEXTBOX 3 already). (but is now on the computer.)

* Then plug PVR-E2 into the NEXTBOX 3.

Reasoning: One would not need to look at the data being copied and pasted when using <any> computer.

I can copy and paste files (data) that my PCs cannot do anything with (usually b/c I don't have the software) - but they can still be copied and pasted.

I would hope that the sequences of 0's & 1's would be maintained during the transfer (on the computer)....

When the PVR-E2 is installed on the NEXTBOX 3, the data copied from PVR-E1 will make sense to the NEXTBOX 3's PVR.

Do you think this could save the recordings?

Do you think the  size of the replacement PVR-E2 would matter?

This is NOT to increase recording capacity (beyond PVR-E1) or for trying to unscramble - It is ONLY a question about saving recordings if the PVR-E1 broke.....

Thank you!