Nextbox 2.0 and Nextbox 3.0 same network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 2.0 and Nextbox 3.0 same network

My current whole-home-pvr setup:

Living room: Explorer 8642HD (PVR)
Bedroom 1: Explorer 8600HD (Terminal)
Bedroom 2: Explorer 4290 (digital terminal - no recordings)

Proposed whole-home-pvr setup:

I am going to buy a Nextbox 3.0 and insert it into my current setup. The Explorer 4290 will be decommissioned. The boxes will be moved around like this:
Living room: Nextbox 3.0
Bedroom 1: Explorer 8642HD (PVR)
Bedroom 2: Explorer 8600HD (Terminal)

My questions:
1. Will I be able to record on both the Nextbox 3.0 and 8642 and watch recordings from any of the three locations?
2. Do I need a $50 service call to do this work, or can I simply purchase the new receiver at a Rogers store, move the boxes around and then call to activate the new Nextbox 3.0?

As an aside: This is a new installation this month and I subscribed the VIP ultimate. The boxes are rented. Is it normal for Rogers to still deploy the Nextbox 2.0 boxes?

Thanks for reading, and hopefully what I want to do has been described adequately enough that some of you experts can give me a little guidance.

****Edit Labels****

Retired Moderator RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator

Re: Nextbox 2.0 and Nextbox 3.0 same network

Hi @lem1

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

I would be happy to help with your Whole Home PVR question.

With the Whole Home PVR set up, you will be able to watch recorded content from any compatible NextBox Terminal on the Whole Home PVR (WHPVR) network. 

If a Whole Home PVR Network only consists of 2 PVR’s, each PVR can record content and when the recording list is accessed content from both PVR’s is available.

In order to have Whole Home PVR, we need to connect all your NextBoxes.  A professional installation and setup is required to network your boxes and to calibrate your signal levels. Once complete, you will be able to watch and manage the recorded content from your PVR. This process can take up to 2 hours to complete.

I hope this helps

RogersAliciaG

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to expand on @RogersAliciaG's post.

Yes, the tech visit is necessary..

Right now, depending on how your house is set up.. there could be splitters, etc.. splitting stuff off to all the connections.. but could be forked between say an internet, etc as well on the same fork as a TV etc.
In your current setup, this works.

For the whole home PVR.. all the TVs have to be in the same 'loop'. 
Part of the $50 charge, is for the MOCHA filter they put in.  its a little fiter on the IN feed, before any splits going to JUST the TVs. 
What this does is create a small little group for just the TVs there to communicate.. and for them NOT to communicate outside of your house.
(we helpe a person here a while back, who MOVED.. and the whole home software was still installed, etc.. but the filter, etc never moved... they were getting recordings being deleted and new ones added, etc.  Someone else without a filter.. was viewing THEIR box and changing things on it, etc.)

I'm a Senior Advisor

As another point of explanatio , the 8600 box will not be part of the WHPVR network as the software will not support it.  Only the 9628 and 8642 will participate in the WHPVR setup.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Lurker wrote:

As another point of explanatio , the 8600 box will not be part of the WHPVR network as the software will not support it.  Only the 9628 and 8642 will participate in the WHPVR setup.

yikes, that's not good!  I just had my boxes installed today - a Nextbox 3.0 and 2 Explorer 8600s with another appointment scheduled for next week to do the Whole Home PVR thing.

so what you're saying is they brought me the wrong terminals?  Smiley Sad

I'm a Senior Advisor

Just a question...did Rogers bring you the 8600's? I didn't think they sold/rented those anymore.

Either way, as far as I know, the only boxes that work with WHPVR are the NB 3 (Cisco 9625), the NB 2 (CISCO 8642) and the nextbox HD terminal (Cisco 4642). No other Rogers box will work with whpvr.
I Plan to Stick Around

@Lurker wrote:
Just a question...did Rogers bring you the 8600's? I didn't think they sold/rented those anymore.

Either way, as far as I know, the only boxes that work with WHPVR are the NB 3 (Cisco 9625), the NB 2 (CISCO 8642) and the nextbox HD terminal (Cisco 4642). No other Rogers box will work with whpvr.

yes, they brought me the 8600s yesterday - I've spoken to 2 different techs today and both told me that they ARE compatible - I think they've been "re-purposed" as they both say Nextbox on the front

the chattering of what sounds like the hard drive inside is driving me insane though Smiley Sad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If at all possible, would it be possible to get a PICTURE of what the box looks like?

See if its the OLD 8600... or if its the 8642s.. just with not a full model number on it or something?

But if the drive it chattering.. thats a BAD sign 😞
May be a bad hard drive... would want to get the swapped right away before you get too much saved on it.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

If at all possible, would it be possible to get a PICTURE of what the box looks like?

See if its the OLD 8600... or if its the 8642s.. just with not a full model number on it or something?

But if the drive it chattering.. thats a BAD sign 😞
May be a bad hard drive... would want to get the swapped right away before you get too much saved on it.

here's a link to a pic

http://i.imgur.com/DEE5zlT.jpg

the chattering sounds like the noise a hard drive makes when it's being written to

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thank you for that.

I dont have my 8642 anymore.. but its definately the same family...

It looks like the part which says 8600 on right, is a STICKER? like the NExtbox sticker?
Definately is the NEWER-ish generation. 

(i guess if you ever have it out.. you could look at the back/bottom.. for a sticker and see if it says a model number there.)

The rattling though, yes would concern me, personally.  That its a drive which is on its way out  eventually.
May want to get it swaped before you get too deep into anything.
Arange for a TECH visit out for them to do the swap, so they can do the software push for the whole  home while they are there.