NextBox updates

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

NextBox updates

twice in less than a week our TV went black and a message from Rogers say it was doing an update. Anyone know what is going on?

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: NextBox updates

Most likely guide updates.  They usually happen overnight, but can happen at other times if it cant connect overnight.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The system has been up and available allo day so that isn't the issue.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just because it was up, watching TV, etc.. doesnt mean it was communicating properly 🙂

Watching TV generally just require specific signal, etc to do it.... for RoD, and things like updates.. require two way communications.. which might not have been communicating properly.

Not necessarily by fault of anything internal.. could be something in the area which caused the fault in communication.

I randomly got one a few weeks ago.. but thats the first one in like ages. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Nextbox updating daily

Is my nextbox supposed to update almost everyday?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Graham052:

The NextBox will update the IPG around 2AM.  Some people experience a reboot at that time, perhaps due to a poor signal. Call Rogers and have them check your signal at your home and in your neighbourhood.  They can do this remotely.

One way around 2AM reboots is to set the PVR (if yours is a PVR) to record something - say a Stingray music channel like channel 762, around that time. The PVR should not reboot while recording.

I'm not sure why this 2-year old thread was edited today...

I'm Here A Lot

I do most of my TV watching throughout the night and I'm getting FED UP with this happening SO OFTEN while I'm in the middle of watching one of my recorded programs!!! Can Rogers' equipment not tell when my NextBox is being used??? WHY can't it wait until the box is NOT being used before updating, like the middle of the DAY!

This is EXTREMELY ANNOYING!!!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RETRIMBLE:

We don't know why it needs to reboot at that time.  There is a workaround available as discussed in the post above yours and in the following link in a similar thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Upgrades-at-2am/m-p/390322#M42565

If you set the PVR to record a channel, like say 726, which doesn't require much hard drive space, then the PVR will not reboot as long as it's recording.