NextBox failure

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

NextBox failure

TV screen went black but NextBox still showed that it was on. Tried turning it off but it failed to respond to remote but remote still turns TV on though.. Assumed some sort of software problem so rebooted or tried to. Get as far as "boot" then it defaults to those 4 white lines you see when you reboot.  Is there any other method I can try?

*Edited Labels*

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox failure

@Fridrik : What is the exact make/model of the box?  Unplug the box again and see if it'll boot.  You may have a signal issue - call Rogers and have them check the signal in your home/neighbourhood - they can do this remotely.  See the following post on signal issues - they are often the cause of problems:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

When you see "----" on the display, this can sometimes mean that the box may need a "hit" to get it reactivated.  Have them hit the box when you're talking to them.

If it's a rental, you can swap it out, but if the issue is signal-related, then you'll probably have to go through that all again soon.

I Plan to Stick Around

Rebooked up box and now it says Cisco: host download pending. Cable card not triggered. Awawaiting available network

I Plan to Stick Around

Box is Cisco version 2.0.0.0503. Got a message saying box needs to have a software update. Could not do your suggestion about checking signal as box will not respond to remote commands

I Plan to Stick Around

Gave up and got new box. Only thing I had to do was phone Rogers to authorize the box. Begs the question as to why staff at store couldn’t. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same cable card issue. From reading on this forum Rogers does not use cablecards. Rogers tells me the cable card in my box is toast. This is not making much sense

Good morning @JanetThomas!

Welcome to our Community!

That is correct. We do not use cable cards. If you're getting some sort of error that indicates there's a problem with the cable card, then it is highly likely the box is defective and needs to be replaced.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JanetThomas : Many times there are issues with the signal that comes into your home or neighbourhood.  Call Rogers and have them check this signal in your home/neighbourhood.  A poor signal can often cause issues with the box.  If you have another box in the home, check the signal on it, or talk to your neighbours who have Rogers.  Here's a post on the topic of poor signal:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

I've Been Here Awhile

Contacted Rogers signal is good. I was informed the Cablecard was bad and the box was trash. Offered to rent me one. I declined. Hooked up the box the next day and it did the update. Now the problem is the Navigatr is only showing no information
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Did you contact Rogers (again) after I posted?

Did you measure the signal (Strength and SNR) yourself per the instructions in the link in my previous post (sometimes the signal can be borderline).

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17719-57-faq-tips-sa-cisco-stbs-also-pace....

What is the make/model of your box?  

I take it you don't have another box at home?

Are you able to view your various channels?  If you can, then there's not an issue with the "internal cablecard" whose purpose is to "authenticate/decode" the incoming QAM signals.  People don't call the circuitry inside these boxes "CableCard" because that has a separate connotation, even though the "error message" may use the term.