NextBox - Unable to Delete Recording

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: NextBox - Unable to Delete Recording

Not good to hear...have they asked you to perform a factory reset on the box, then schedule recordings again?

I Plan to Stick Around

That was one of the suggestions.....but no guarantees it would. So that would mean I'd definitely lose all my recordings plus potentially not have anything record even after the reset. I'd rather leave things alone as I can at least watch what's recorded and have existing scheduled programs record. Not ideal but better than nothing......until I want to record something new!
I'm a Trusted Contributor

For gdkitty,

Someone already mentioned this is a post somewhere on one of the thread, but I can't find it.  

It is for your "LIST OF ISSUES" so the community knows it is a serious bug and not a problem with their PVR.

Our PVR was a 8642HD  Nextbox.   

Began taping "The View" at 11 am TODAY 3 March 2016 as a "series".

Noted this evening that PVR was still recording from 11 am to 10 pm. Recordings went from 42% to 60%.

Could not stop the recording.  Last time it took 8 tries to press delete - select, then yes- select and it finally deleted the recording.  This time it would not stop the recording.  Therefore turned off PVR and unplugged the box for  a reboot.  

After rebooting, selected the "extra long" program and deleted it. 

I'd call Rogers but they don't do anything!   Did they let you know if any of your LIST OF ISSUES have been fixed with an update? 

As Bill Gates once said: Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.

It seems Rogers hasn't learned anything from their community of unhappy customers. 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a NextBox 8642HD PVR that , until Friday, was working fine.  I realized yesterday that it no longer wants to delete programs: I get an error message saying that it can't delete the program because "it is currently being viewed", which is silly since, in order to get the delete option, you have to stop viewing the program (and I have only one TV connected to the PVR).   I also tried to record a program last night, but it says it can't record it due to a "duplicate recording", but in actual fact, there is no recording at all.   Space should not be an issue since it says my PVR is only 54% full.  

I tried to reboot the PVR several times (by disconnecting it from the wall outlet), to no avail, except that once after a reboot, a program that would not delete was actually deleted (it was no longer listed as being there, at least).  Short of doing a factory reset, is there anything I can try to fix that issue?

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @pierto,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forums!Smiley Happy

I understand you're having issues with the NextBox 8642HD PVR no longer recording or deleting, leaving it off for about 20 seconds should have done the trick. So far it looks like you might have to factory reset the PVR, maybe one of our resident experts @Gdkitty can assist.

Thanks,
RogersArthur

I Plan to Stick Around

@pierto
I had the exact same problem and rebooted the box dozens of times over several days to no avail. According to the tech guy I spoke with at Rogers, it's an issue with the hard drive and even if it happens to miraculously start working, it's likely on its last legs. The only two options are either do a factory reset and lose all your recordings or swap out the box for a new one.

I did the latter but because I could still watch what was recorded on the old box (I just couldn't delete anything or set new recordings), I kept it connected until I could get through all the recordings and used the new box for net new recordings. I'm just about to take back the broken box after using both boxes for about 10 days.

Call customer service and explain what's happening......they were able to give me the second box for free as long as I returned the broken box within 30 days.

Good luck!
I've Been Here Awhile

Can someone explain to me what on earth may have happened here?  On March 13, I posted that my PVR would no longer record or delete.  Yesterday, miraculously it seems, it started working OK again (seven weeks later!) without me doing anything (I wanted to finish watching what I had recorded before doing the factory reset, which I didn't do).  Earlier in the week, I had noticed the PVR was very, very slow to respond (a command from the remote, like changing a channel, could take as much 30 seconds to be acted upon!).   Yesterday, finally, response was back to normal (about one second to change a channel) - and then, I noticed the red light indicating the PVR was recording!!!  One hour later (after the program was over), sure enough, the program was there for me to watch, and I could also delete old stuff.  

What did Rogers do over the past seven weeks to, first, disable the recording function, second, almost "brick" the PVR (by making it so unresponsive), and, third, re-activating response and recording, all remotely?  Is there some spying device in the PVR that picked up my discussing calling other TV providers?  In any case, I find it rather disturbing that Rogers has the capacity to disable remotely (voluntarily or not) a device that I own... 😞

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's quite possible that:

1. The signal to your PVR was poor, either due to a problem in your home or in your neighbourhood.  This can happen due to poor connections, or a poor splitter or other device blocking the signal upstream of the unit.  Cooler temperatures can cause these sorts of issues due to the contraction of metal.  As the metal expands with the warmer weather, you have a better connection and a proper signal.  And, yes, a proper signal is required for the firmware to load completely and for the PVR to function properly.  A poor signal is the cause of the majority of issues. You may wish to call Rogers and have them check your signal , which they can do remotely, both for your home and for your neighbourhood.

2. It's also possible that a firmware update was sent to your unit, although the signal issue is more likely.  If it's a signal issue, the PVR may begin malfunctioning again.

3. It's also possible that you have an issue with the internal hard drive as previously mentioned.  A poor iHDD may start working again after "resting", but again, it may start giving you problems again shortly.  With an iHDD problem, you can often hear it "clicking" instead of "whirring" and often it gives hints of problems before a complete failure, like issues with playing a portion of a programme, or not scheduling or deleting properly, etc.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@57 wrote:

It's quite possible that:

1. The signal to your PVR was poor, either due to a problem in your home or in your neighbourhood.  This can happen due to poor connections, or a poor splitter or other device blocking the signal upstream of the unit.  Cooler temperatures can cause these sorts of issues due to the contraction of metal.  As the metal expands with the warmer weather, you have a better connection and a proper signal.  And, yes, a proper signal is required for the firmware to load completely and for the PVR to function properly.  A poor signal is the cause of the majority of issues. You may wish to call Rogers and have them check your signal , which they can do remotely, both for your home and for your neighbourhood.

2. It's also possible that a firmware update was sent to your unit, although the signal issue is more likely.  If it's a signal issue, the PVR may begin malfunctioning again.

3. It's also possible that you have an issue with the internal hard drive as previously mentioned.  A poor iHDD may start working again after "resting", but again, it may start giving you problems again shortly.  With an iHDD problem, you can often hear it "clicking" instead of "whirring" and often it gives hints of problems before a complete failure, like issues with playing a portion of a programme, or not scheduling or deleting properly, etc.

What a good answer.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well glad to announce my guide is considerably faster. No lag seems work fantastic. As for the explanation for this I do not know. ONCE AGAIN WELL PLAYED ROGERS!
Now for the 30 plus,issues like being able to turn on off CC, without such an hassle. Set reminder, and have channel actually change again.Those are my top 2.