NextBox PVR questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NextBox PVR questions

What exactly do you mean by calling Rogers to cancel all but the basic channels? If I switch down to Digital Basic, it doesn't block the channels I don't get. I would still have to manually hide them with the nextbox settings
I've Been Around

Rogers promo was called Ditch the Dish. After being told by the Bell tech that my **bleep**ty dish reception was caused by the amount of snow on my neighbor's roof and "just ask him to remove some...", I did it. I ditched my dish. I should have offered my neighbor to shovel the snow off his roof instead Smiley Sad

My first NextBox HD PVR lasted two days. I returned it to get a new one. Little bit better but still a lot of issues. 20% of the time, the guide doesn't show up. When it does, 20% of the time if doesn't respond to remote commands or goes into an infinite loop. I have to unplug it and plug back in. What I don't understand is it works perfectly when accessing it via the front panel. Any idea how to fix that?

The things I missed the most from Bell TV:

• The yellow button that whould FF 30 seconds at a time. Ideal to skip adds on recorded shows. Don't have to press multiple times on FF.
  • My "auto switch" option. Rogers only offer Record or Remind Me. Bell would jumped to the channel automaticaly. Don't have to press Yes, No to that crappy reminder message.
  • The snappy guide. It was so quick compared to the NextBox.
  • The scheduler

What I really like about Rogers so far:

• The search engine although I would like the result listing to show "NEW" beside new episodes
  • The Record Series option seems to work great.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some people who have had the issue of the looping or commands not working.. there are some who have just plain had the issue no matter what...

Others, have had issues when they have the unit behind a glass door, etc on a media cabnet.  Not sure of your setup Smiley Happy

Also i have found, the ANGLE of it picking up, is VERY narrow, you have to point directly at it, too much of an angle, it wont work.

Dont know if this will help, based on your setup.

I've Been Around

We just switched from Bell to Rogers cable, and the Nextbox is brutal. The menu is tiny and difficult to read from far away. Response time is extremely slow...when it registers. And now, our connection keeps cutting in and out, and I know it's not the television because our Wii picture works just fine with Netflix.

Does anyone know how to solve the flashing picture problem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to confirm its just like picture going in and out? Not stuttering/pixelating?
Trying to eliminate signal issue.

How do you have it connected? (What type of cable). Have you tried swapping/using another one? I know the hdmi got with my box never worked Smiley Tongue

Response time, is an ongoing complaint with it.

I've Been Here Awhile

Just switched from a basic cable box which worked fine just not HD, to a Nextbox HDTV cable box. It is cutting in and out ever 10 or 15 seconds, and on occasion looses the signal temporarily. My HDMI cable works fine with my blue ray player. TV works fine hooked to blue ray. Almost like static interruption.
Any ideas on how to solve this?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cott2, yours is sounding more like a signal issue.
Digital can be a lot more pickey with the signal strength to start, but the next oxes seem even more sensitive to it.

Would be worth getting a tech out possibly, can confirm strength, make sure any splitters are up to snuff, etc.

When I had the whole home pvr installed, my two HD were grouped by a tech, and the sd seperate and was fine. Switched the sd to an HD, and signal problems. Had to re arange the splitters and remove one out (other half was going to a room with no TV), and it worked fine.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks will call a tech and get it checked. Fingers crossed.
I Plan to Stick Around

I am also coming from Bell, share the frustration many have already posted - slow response times, remote not responsive, etc.  The Bell system was a pleasure to use.  Rogers...not so much.  Hopefully the Next Nextbox will be better.

A question - is there any way to delete multiple saved programs at once?  Bell had an 'edit' feature where you could select a multitude of programs and delete all of them at once.  Can't seem to find a way to do this with Rogers.  Hence I usually just let the system overwrite older saves that I have designated as not critical.  So my PVR is usually at 95% full, etc.

Thank you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That i know of, there has never been that feature with rogers ones, weither on the old, or new guides.

Other than manualy deleteing one by one, if its a make sure there is enough space thing, the way you currently are, is the best, setting them to delete if needed for space (also you can set a time period as well, i beleive, delete after X many days).

You CAN add an external hard drive to these units to expand your storage.  They will format to the boxes needed format (But then are not PC readable).  You can add your own or the rogers branded ones.  Both USB and eSATA work, but eSATA is reccomended as it has a fasther throughput.
This greatly expands the units storage overall.  I have a 1tb added to mine, and have about 10 HD movies, and maybe 12 1hr HD shows, and its only about 35% full.