NextBox PVR questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NextBox PVR question

@vp3 wrote:

I just switch my all services Rogers from Bell. In just two days I guess I hit the wall…

1. a) I have couple of nextboxes with main PVR, I cannot PAUSE or put on hold live TV on the secondary boxes except the main PVR. (Bell does it)
  2. b) If I missed any program during the day I'm not able to restart. (Bell does it)
  3. c) Prerecording of favorite channels is so confusing that I’m not able to understand at all (whereas Bell stuff is so simple that an idiot can use it)
  4. d) Response time of the remote with any key is so slow that you will unconsciously hit it twice or thrice sending your inquiry to some other function.
  5. e) Internet is slow (bell was slow too, that was the main reason to switch), no good signal on the other levels of the house.

I’m not sure whether my decision to move over was good or bad!! Not sure what will I find next as time goes by…

Rogers is one of the leading provider of such services one should expect them to be par with the competition!!

It sounds like you have a whole home PVR setup.  (WHPVR).  The method that Rogers uses for WHPVR is totally different from the IPTV system utilized by Fibe.

1. This is normal.  You can only "pause-live-TV" from the PVR itself with the current setup. You can pause recorded programming that has finished recording.

2. Although Fibe has "restart", this is a dubious feature which means you need to watch all the commercials, etc.  Provided you record your programming, this should not be an issue.  With so many programmes being repeated and available on the web, this should not really be an issue, unless you like to watch commercials.

3. Any new system takes some getting used to.  Hopefully the newest version of Navigatr coming out this month will solve some issues.

4. Response time on secondary boxes can be a pain.  One should have the PVR at the "main" setup that is used most so that response time is not an issue. Also, that PVR should be  NextBox3 (model 9865). If you have a NextBox2 (8642), these can be very slow and are underpowered.  Change it out for a 9865.  It's also possible to have more than one PVR if you wish to do "pause live TV" at more than one location.  This would even give you the option to record up to 16 different programmes.

5. Internet should not be slow. Almost everyone at Rogers (and most service providers that are not DSL) gets what they pay for and more.  See:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/reports/rp160929/rp160929.htm

If you're not getting the speed you pay for, call Rogers.  Remember that when testing speed you must do so with a hard-wired connection, otherwise you may be testing your home's WiFi speed, rather than what's coming to your home.

Whenever you think about switching providers you need to do your research and make a list of "wants", "nice to have" and "must have" features.  Each provider has advantages and disadvantages.  For example, Rogers 9865 can record up to 8 different programmes at the same time, etc.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @vp3,

Excellent response by 57, agree with him on all counts!  I want to add more information re: item #1:

>>I have a couple of nextboxes with main PVR, I cannot PAUSE or pt on hold live TV on the secondary boxes except the main PVR. (Bell does it).

There is a way to "pause live TV" from a box that does not support it - albeit using somewhat of a cheat.  This can be done for no additional cost and with no changes to your hardware.

To do this:

- Start recording the show you are watching on the main box (the PVR).

-- SHOW NOT ON YET? Press "Guide" on remote, find the program you want to record, press "OK/Select" on remote, then select "Record this program" on-screen.

-- SHOW ON RIGHT NOW? Tune to the channel, and press "Record" button on the remote.

- Move to your other room and press "LIST" on the remote.
- Find the show you started recording (should have a red "record" symbol) and press OK/Select on the remote.
- Press OK/Select again to start playback of the recording.

Again - this is a cheat as you are pausing 'almost live' TV (a few seconds behind)...but it gives you the ability to pause "almost live TV" for no extra money. It requires some running around and is not the most convenient solution, but...

...if you are in the market for a new PVR (Nextbox 3) - you are looking at $24.95/month to rent or $499 to purchase the hardware outright (assuming you are in Ontario).  As 57 stated, having two NextBox 3 PVRs will allow you to record 16 items at the same time.

I hope this helps.

I've Been Here Awhile

I am new to Rogers.  How many programs can I PVR (and watch) simultaneously?

When I watch a program and missed something, can I go back/reverse the show a bit?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is your box a PVR or a regular set top box?

I've Been Here Awhile

We have a PVR

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Riana wrote:

I am new to Rogers.  How many programs can I PVR (and watch) simultaneously?

When I watch a program and missed something, can I go back/reverse the show a bit?

There are different PVRs.  Please advise us of the model number.  The 8642 can record 2 programmes and you can watch another programme that's already been recorded.  If you're watching a live programme, you can only record one other.  Yes you can rewind to the point when you first started watching that channel.

The 9865 has 8 tuners, so you can record up to 8 programmes and watch another recorded programme, or 7 + 1 live.  Neither of these do "Restart", like IPTV (below).

There is also the new Ignite TV (IPTV), but not very many people have that yet, I believe it allows for 8.   It also allows you to watch certain (but not all) channels/programmes from before you tuned in (Restart).

I've Been Here Awhile

Best answer!  Just what I was looking for.  thanks so much!

I've Been Here Awhile

PVR skip

Are there any plans to add 30 sec skip forward? Or are we limited to 3min forward, then rewind back?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Camer:  It is unlikely that 30 second skip will be added to the Nextbox.  The new IgniteTV (IPTV) does have completely programmable skip available.  You can tell it how far to skip via voice command, or programme the button for a certain number of seconds.