NextBox PVR incompatible with building security camera

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

NextBox PVR incompatible with building security camera

After 'upgrading' to a Nextbox Two PVR, I was informed by Rogers technical support that this box is incompatible with the security camera systems widely used in apartment (rental and condo) buildings to allow residents use channel 998 to see visitors requesting entrance via the lobby. Unfortunately, my building allows no other choice for TV than Rogers, so I'm stuck. I should think that condo associations and commercial landlords should pressure Rogers to get this incompatibility resoved immediately!

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: NextBox PVR incompatible with building security camera

Or you could get your building to install a digital camera system instead and watch the lobby cam on 988.
I've Been Here Awhile

Since Rogers tech support didn't deign to offer this option, perhaps you could point me to where I could learn more about what we need to change in the building? Thanks

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I'll see if I can find out who installed it in my condo, but I'm 99% sure it was Rogers themselves since the posts about it on our bulletin boards were on Rogers letterhead.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

rest assured, even though your box will only pick up digital camera signals, its easy to still watch the analog one by splitting the f-type cable feed and putting one end to your stb, and the other to the tvs f-type input and put your tv on channel analog 59 and wala

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While yes i guess you could technicaly say its rogers fault.. its the fault of the hardware.. it just doesnt read the analog signals from the feed.. to therefore wont work.

As stated, if the building supplies rogers, they should know that the analog will be gone sooner rather than later, and should be switching the camera to digital.

But in the meantime Paulys idea will work.  Just to expand/clarify.

Get a splitter.  Truthfuly, dont cheap out on it, a cheap one can result in signal problems.  From the wall jack, put the slpitter.  Then one cable to your rogers box, one into the tuner into the TV.
Put the TV onto the channel on the tuner, that you watch the lobby with.
Then all you have to do, to view the loby, is on the TV, switch between inputs from the rogers input (hdmi or whatever) to your 'tuner' input.

I Plan to Stick Around

Our Condo has signed another contract with Rogers.They are coming to our meeting room to offer free HD boxes in December.Would these be the same ones mentioned in this thread,or some other model?We have this issue with lobbycams here.Lucily I have an old SA8300HD that allows viewing on CH998.
I'm a Senior Advisor

The ability to watch security cams on Rogers settop boxes has been a feature for as long as I can remember - the first time I had it was in the mid seventies. Unfortunate if they have dropped that feature, it was definitely a very useful security feature.

Didn't even know it was still around, but then again, I haven't been in a condo or apartment in a long long time.

As to whether your new boxes will be the effected ones, depends upon whether you live in the effected areas or should I say infected areas.  If you are not in one of those areas, you will probably get the existing older versions of NB that are still on the non Navigtr interface.

Hopefully you are not and whether you have your security cams, that is a question for Rogers to answer.

Good luck, Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

I am at the Warden-Finch area,south of Finch,east side of Warden.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As for what boxes you are given.. that is up to whatever deal the condo makes, etc..

BUT.. yes in many cases.. sometimes the lobycams will not work with the boxes.
It will all depend on how/what your loby cameras are.

If they are using ANALOG cameras only.. the issue then comes down that most of the newer boxes, ONLY have a digital tuner in them.. no analog tuning at all.

IF they have upgrade to digital tuners.. then YES they should work on the same digital cahnnels (998, etc)

What MOST people tend to do.. if the case that their place has analog cameras..
Is on the output on the wall where your TV is, put a TV plitter.  One to the digital box, and one to the TV input on the TV itself.
To access the loby camera, would then just require a change of TV inputs to the TV tuner, rather than the input that the digital box is on.